Dark Souls - Prepare To Die... You Died.

The Sarge

I finally got to the gargoyles last night, I helped someone else kill them in their world before waiting ages for someone to put down one of the white stones so I could invite them to help me, unfortunately after an hour or so of looking for a sign I was invaded by a red demon and promptly killed :(

Just think in Demon's Souls what if

Sir Curtis was summoned when you faced the monk :o

I actually did that the other day to my mate - I'd been helping him out on the Tower of Latria and we'd just killed Maneater. I mentioned i wanted to go back to my 3-2 and kill the Primeval Demon (the Asian server was running pure black on 2-x and 3-x), he said "cool" and pressed on towards the Monk. I dropped my blue soul sign once he'd gone off up the stairs. Lo-and-behold, 20 seconds later i get the 'Moving to other world as Black Phantom', message (*fingers crossed*)...and BAM! It was my mates game. :lol: You can imagine his surprise when my name popped up on his screen. We were chatting over LIVE at the time, and there was a moments silence, followed by "YOU BASTARD!", then howls of laughter. We ended up fannying about, because i had no intention of killing him, but it was a briliant trick nonetheless. :D

Picking up my copy tom and just wondered if anyone, Curtis?, could point me in the direction a decent starting class or thoughts on them?

I went for the relatively easier Royalty I think in Demon's Souls so had magic I could cast from afar to soften them up and then hack away with a weapon if needs be.

Is there any similar class in this or any recommendations?

Picking up my copy tom and just wondered if anyone, Curtis?, could point me in the direction a decent starting class or thoughts on them?

I went for the relatively easier Royalty I think in Demon's Souls so had magic I could cast from afar to soften them up and then hack away with a weapon if needs be.

Is there any similar class in this or any recommendations?

My only recommendation is you get me a copy and UPS it to me! :eyebrows:

My only recommendation is you get me a copy and UPS it to me! :eyebrows:

Lol...happy to if you like. Shop reckons they will have their copies tom morning, I can ring them now and get them to reserve another.

I'm in NY, let me know know if you want me to send one.

Lol...happy to if you like. Shop reckons they will have their copies tom morning, I can ring them now and get them to reserve another.

I'm in NY, let me know know if you want me to send one.

New York is a long-long way away! But thank you anyway. ;)

I'll be back next weekend, once everyone has it, and i'll share whatever pearls of wisdom i've gleaned. I do know that all the classes start at different levels, exactly like Demon's Souls. So it'll depend on what sorta playstyle you're aiming for. But that's all moot until we know what the game is dishing up, and how best to deal with it.

6-7 days...

Yeah, I know what you mean but apparently there are some unfair things, like someone who fucks up your game, bosses that fuck up your life and statuses that fuck up your play. Maybe even permanently. <_<

That's what I hated about Demon's Souls. Things that were just downright mean and irreversible. I'll never forget my experience with Yurt, Patches and accidentally hitting an NPC.

New York is a long-long way away! But thank you anyway. ;)

I'll be back next weekend, once everyone has it, and i'll share whatever pearls of wisdom i've gleaned. I do know that all the classes start at different levels, exactly like Demon's Souls. So it'll depend on what sorta playstyle you're aiming for. But that's all moot until we know what the game is dishing up, and how best to deal with it.

6-7 days...

I hear you can switch around to different classes pretty easily. Your starting equipment is basically the only thing tying you to your class.

I think I'll be focusing on my magicks as usually. But I can't rely on it too much, given the change to the magic system.

grinding souls early-ish on :

once you kick down the ladder from the bridge with the red dragon on it to the camp fire: Respawn the enemies using the campfire, climb up the ladder and then up the stairs back onto the bridge very briefly (you should hear the dragon flap his wings or take a breath) then as you start running back to the campfire you'll get 300 souls from the enemies the dragon kills, don't use the ladder down just jump and repeat. The whole thing takes less than a minute - it's probably not the best way of grinding overall, but it's a good one early on, and pretty risk free.

Yeah, I know what you mean but apparently there are some unfair things, like someone who fucks up your game, bosses that fuck up your life and statuses that fuck up your play. Maybe even permanently. <_<

That's what I hated about Demon's Souls. Things that were just downright mean and irreversible. I'll never forget my experience with Yurt, Patches and accidentally hitting an NPC.

That's why I love playing online in this game, because if there's something really wicked then the community will let you know well before hand. Like that bad zombie in 3-1 had about 10 warnings leading upto him all saying "don't trust him" or something, same thing with Yurt. That's why I never felt demons souls was an unfair game.

IGN posted their review yesterday, and it's really well written I think. There are some minor spoilers in there incase you're trying to avoid them.

http://uk.ps3.ign.com/articles/119/1197278p1.html

The reviewer's job is difficult when it comes to a game like Dark Souls. I simply can't unreservedly recommend that you buy it. It's not a game that you play to relax. It doesn't care in the slightest about whether you're enjoying yourself, and it doesn't give a fig for your notions of entertainment or your mental well-being. If you just play games for fun, this isn't for you, and no amount of insistence on my part is going to change that. But if you're interested in the limits of the videogame form – to see just how focused, how pure and how uncompromising in its vision a game can be – Dark Souls is unmissable. If you take the time get into Dark Souls' mindset, to begin to understand the twisted way in which it operates and taste the rewards behind its cruellest challenges, this is one of the most thrilling, most fascinating and most completely absorbing experiences in gaming.

perfectly said.

God, I feel so stupid :facepalm:

I spent more than an hour getting from the bonfire in front of the entrance to room with the fat dragon to the bit with the knight and finally defeating him, only using the sword hilt and dying over and over and over again. I only know Demon's Souls by its reputation so I thought it was all part of the challenge. After beating the knight I needed a key to progress and had nowhere else to go but the dungeon keeper room, but I just couldn't believe that I had to slay the gigantic dragon in there the same tiresome way that I killed the zombies. So I consulted the Giant Bomb quick look and discovered that I somehow missed both the shield and the sword right at the beginning :doh:

(no real spoilers, just some details of the first 20 minutes of the game)