Dark Souls - Prepare To Die... You Died.

The Sarge

Sorry Moosey. :(

I've uploaded the map to the forum and I've uploaded the mini guide to Megaupload - http://www.megaupload.com/?d=QBZT03KV

I've also uploaded the OST - http://www.megaupload.com/?d=ONRQHBQO

Unfortunately, I didn't download the BTS but as luck would have it, it's been uploaded to YT...(may contain spoilers, I haven't watched it)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gykjCOCufjY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CISUR_YzWyc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjyWPjmee80

:)

DarkSouls_Map_EN.pdf

Edited by The Sarge

So which version is everyone going for? I've decided on PS3, just because I never really put enough time into Demon's Souls so I'm hoping that after I'm done with Dark Souls I can return to the first game and not worry about relearning the controls again.

360 with an eventual pick up on PS3. It's guaranteed to sell well on PS3 due to the Demon's Souls fanbase, but it's going to need all the support it can get on 360... (would be a real shame if it tanks on 360 and they decide not to bring sequels/additional entries to the 360)

I went for PS3 in the end. Despite the possiblity of playing with more people on XBL, I remembered I'd have to shell out for a proper XBL account as well, which, for one game seems a bit overkill even if is going to be damn awesome.

Can I just say...it is bloody terrifying, lonely, beautilful and amazing already!

Gives me the fear just like Demon's Souls did, I'm literally inching around. Also getting v confused by the menus and how to use some items but hopefully I'll get my feeble brain around it.

Can anyone else who is playing let me know how the hell do you use the firebombs/throwing knifes etc without out resorting to start - menu - choose? I know I can put them in the down d-pad slot but how do I quick use them? - read the manual and solved that one...phew! ;)

And lastly the enemies bloody well chase you everywhere now, up/down stairs across areas... :ph34r:

Looking forward to picking this up having never played Demon's Souls before. Will be getting my brother a copy for his birthday, too. Roll on the weekend!

It will break your fingers and threaten your family.

And you will like it.

A better soul grinding area:

To the side of the church just past the metal boar. There is a campfire and blacksmith, kill wounded demon just past the blacksmith (easily done with some arrows and patience) and buy the 20,000 soul item from the blacksmith (You'll make the money back quickly so don't worry too much). Go through the door behind where the demon was and follow the path through the Black Root Forest straight ahead until you get to a another door that requires the 20,000 soul item to open it (you'll meet 3 or 4 shrub monster on the way but they shouldn't be a problem). There is also a bonfire to the left of the door, hit the wall to reveal it before you go through. The first time in there there will be a couple of semi invisible warriors who are a little difficult to dispatch, but if you stay near the entrance you'll only have to deal with one of them (each one is worth 3000 souls). from the bottom of the stairs near the entrance you should be able to see a Mage, use some arrows to pull him towards you and kill him for 2,000 souls. Go back to the bonfire respawn him and repeat :)

There is a another two respawning 2,000 souls warriors a little bit further on than him, but I found it quicker to just kill the first one as they are slightly more difficult to kill than the Mage and it seemed more efficient to concentrate on just the 1st one.

You should be able to get to this area without having to fight gargoyles or the big knight in the church, having the Red Dragon's tail sword really helps :)

edit: maybe the ghost guys do respawn, i'll have to check.

EG review

Verdict

If role-playing is to put you in the boots of an adventurer in a strange land and let you pick your path through it, then Dark Souls is a great role-playing game. If action is to test your skill in thrilling situations, then Dark Souls is a great action game. If adventure is to surprise and mystify you and invite you to uncover the secrets of a forgotten world, then Dark Souls is a great adventure game.If entertainment is fun without failure and progress without pain, you'll have to find it somewhere else. But you'll be missing out on one of the best games of the year.

Score

9/10

Ooh I'm all tingly knowing I'll be playing this by the end of the week. I had no idea what I was walking into with demons souls, this however I do know the game style but it's so rare to get it. Feels like I've not eaten in years and I've been given a steak. The open world aspect really appeals to me, being dumped into hell and told "well? don't just stand there. get out and twat things"