IGNORED

Dark Souls - Prepare To Die... You Died.

The Sarge

Perhaps there is no longer World Tendency but there must be something similar I reckon. I have no read any news about Dark Souls in weeks if not moths so perhaps I am asking daft questions.

Instead of world tendency, if you keep dying over and over, the game just refuses to load anymore.

Edge review:

http://www.next-gen.biz/reviews/dark-souls-review

Most contemporary games are unctuous, clingy suitors, welcoming players with fawning deference and open arms. Conversely, Dark Souls beckons the masochistic with its chilly indifference. If you steel your nerves and persevere, the loot you'll uncover is an adventure so exquisitely morose and far-ranging that it will tug at your mind insistently during the hours you spend apart. After more than 60 hours into our journey, an NPC clucks: "How do these martyrs keep chugging along? I'd peter out in an instant." We do so, quite simply, because other games feel comparatively bland, facile and unsatisfying. Few will complete Dark Souls, but that fact won't nullify the adventures they've had straining toward its elusive summit. [9]

Sounds amazing.

Now here's hoping that it completely bombs at retail due to its massively hyped difficulty and Sony are forced to release a GOTY edition in the spring (or just patch the effing original) with a nice difficulty slider, so casuals like me can experience the world without all of the teeth gnashing frustration. :ph34r:

Just me then? ;)

I'm not watching anyone play or any walk through / hints until I've died many many times figuring things out myself. My first play though will be equal parts disaster and amazement.

That's hoe I'm wanting to play it.

When the first game was due for an EU release, I read through the entire Demon Soul's Thread twice because I was that hyped for it. And while the ammount of hype and banter from Curtis and then his legion of acolytes was amazing, it did spoil some of what to expect from the game.

This time I know nothing about how it works other than to expect lots of pain. :D

I just got an email from Game entitled 'Your preorder!'. The contents said nothing more than the details of said preorder. Nothing about picking, packing, shipping, ETA...nothing.

What about my preorder???

Also, logging into Game's website to check your outstanding orders is stupidly annoying now; they only list the order number and no other details until you click on it, so for me my order page is about 6 or 7 random 8 digit numbers with no explanation. Rubbish.

the store where I have my copies pre-ordered received theirs last week (midnight launch today :)

unfortunately, gamestop's head office decided that in order to save money they would jam 130 games into a single box (including the pre-ordered collector's editions of demon souls). seeing as the CE's box is like the original gears of war one (oversized, soft tin) and not a steelbook design. all but 2 or 3 of the cases were crushed during shipping. :(

as such, I'm going to cancel my x360 version and settle for the ps3 edition, but still that sucks that in order to save a buck, they poorly packaged and shipped all of the collector's editions without any padding whatsoever fucking over all of the people that paid the money up front to reserve the game :angry:

Y'know, as difficult as Demons Souls was, it was never frustratingly difficult. That was why I loved it so. You die, facepalm, and then learn from your mistakes. The next time, you get a little bit further before dying again. And the cycle continues. Completing NG+ on Demons Souls is one of my all time greatest gaming achievements. If Dark Souls can offer something close to that... well. My body is ready.

They should do something similar to Limbo, where you can unlock a trophy/achievement by only dying five times in a complete runthrough - without summoning. I would attempt it - and fail miserably.

EDIT: Or even better! A tally at the end of the game showing how many times you died during the playthrough, like the Resi games.

Last couple of orders i've placed, it's actually dropped on my doorstep before the dispatch email came through. I had Deus Ex on the Wednesday.

Gonna stop talking about it now - it's like being 8 years old on Christmas Eve. :blush:

That Edge review is great, I heartily chuckled at this so true observation:

For a genre so handicapped by its thrall to almighty Lore – an endless reshuffling of fridge-magnet poetry using words plucked from Tolkien’s Silmarillion – Dark Souls’ most revolutionary design choice involves giving the world just enough history to feel concrete and then dive-rolling out of the player’s way.

I'm so tired of elves and dwarves in fantasy RPGs, Demon's Souls was a breath of fresh air in such a cliche ridden genre.