IGNORED

Dark Souls - Prepare To Die... You Died.

The Sarge

Yeah I paid €59 for the limited edition at Nedgame. Comes with a soundtrack and an artbook and a download code for some more stuff, like a guide apparently.

I had a quick look at the start of the download guide, it seems to be just a few excerpts from the main hardback game guide thing, mainly the start. Still 40-odd pages or something like that though, I don't know how in-depth it gets because I didn't want to read it yet.

I'm tempted to start reading it because fuck knows where I'm supposed to be going - eight deaths and counting :lol:

Edit: maybe I shouldn't have started with a Thief as my first character. I seem to be getting my ass handed to me by every single enemy, thus preventing me to make any kind of progress in whatever direction and me still being stuck at the first campfire. I remember selecting a magic class on my first time in Demon's Souls which made it far easier to get into the game proper with his long-distance attacks. I might go and check if there's a similar character in Dark Souls and start over.

I'm tempted to start reading it because fuck knows where I'm supposed to be going - eight deaths and counting :lol:

Edit: maybe I shouldn't have started with a Thief as my first character. I seem to be getting my ass handed to me by every single enemy, thus preventing me to make any kind of progress in whatever direction and me still being stuck at the first campfire. I remember selecting a magic class on my first time in Demon's Souls which made it far easier to get into the game proper with his long-distance attacks. I might go and check if there's a similar character in Dark Souls and start over.

If you're still at Firelink then that sounds pretty normal really. :) And if you are fighting skeletons instead of zombies, then might I suggest taking the stairs up first from Firelink Shrine?

If you're still at Firelink then that sounds pretty normal really. :) And if you are fighting skeletons instead of zombies, then might I suggest taking the stairs up first from Firelink Shrine?

I'm fighting skeletons and ghosts! The ghosts in particular are nasty :(

Cheers for the tip, I totally forget to check out one of the stairs! So many paths and nooks and crannies to check out :)

I'm fighting skeletons and ghosts! The ghosts in particular are nasty :(

Cheers for the tip, I totally forget to check out one of the stairs! So many paths and nooks and crannies to check out :)

Yup, then you're in all the wrong places. :D At least you now know where the blacksmith is.

Yup, then you're in all the wrong places. :D At least you now know where the blacksmith is.

You're right, I did find him down there. Just goes to show that dying a lot and the occasional post in the Rllmuk Dark Souls thread is the best way to learn to enjoy this game :D

Holy shit. Just read a spoiler for a boss fight

A dual boss, maneater style fight only with sometihng akin to fighting flamelurker and allant at once

FUCK. THAT.

I think I may have just got there last night, got completely tw@tted by it.

Had a good session last night, felt like I had been beating my head against a brick wall for a day or so then upgraded a few things and all of a sudden we had some decent'ish progress. Managed to get to the

church/chapel roof

once last night. Those bloody

knights

do my head in on the way up. I know how to beat them but always get suckered in too much.

And that

magic casting

thing scares the sh!t out of me halfway up but just fell off when I approached. I was convinced it was gonna come chasing up the stairs behind me but didn't happen, thx god. I'm sure it's the same sfx as those monsters in Demon's Tower of Latria when it casts - which is v scary. In fact I reckon they are re-using quite a few of the sfx.

Can't wait to get back to it... :)

Can you sell any of the loads of crap you manage to amass anywhere as the one and only merchnat I've found so far isn't interested?

I've got multiple versions of the same weapons/armour/etc.

And how come when I do a critical hit/backstab on an enemy (with it's accompanying very cool and extremely satisfying animation) I only get the same amount of souls (30) for it as a normal kill? The Jpn version gives players an extra 6 souls for doing it.

Can you sell any of the loads of crap you manage to amass anywhere as the one and only merchnat I've found so far isn't interested?

I've got multiple versions of the same weapons/armour/etc.

And how come when I do a critical hit/backstab on an enemy (with it's accompanying very cool and extremely satisfying animation) I only get the same amount of souls (30) for it as a normal kill? The Jpn version gives players an extra 6 souls for doing it.

Sell? What a queer concept...

It's cus the Japanese are pussies and need all the help they can get.

In other news, I've been given the ok to 'work from home' this Friday. ;)

I'll take that as a no then. If there's no Stockpile Tomas around I shall dump all forth with.

Seems odd they don't reward you to getting the timing right on the critical/backstab though...aah well, what's an extra 6 souls amongst friends enemies.

I'll take that as a no then. If there's no Stockpile Tomas around I shall dump all forth with.

Seems odd they don't reward you to getting the timing right on the critical/backstab though...aah well, what's an extra 6 souls amongst friends enemies.

There is a box of holding or something of the sort in the game. Haven't seen a Stockpile Thomas, but there's some talk about being able to store items near bonfires...

So far I haven't been able to get a backstab right, just parries.

There is a box of holding or something of the sort in the game. Haven't seen a Stockpile Thomas, but there's some talk about being able to store items near bonfires...

So far I haven't been able to get a backstab right, just parries.

Aah interesting, thanks.

I'm the opposite I've just about got the hang of the backstab

(think the trick is to try and stop still before you go for it, so run round behind them, let go of the stick and then press the attack button)

but can't for the life of me do the parry.

Just had an account charge from shopto so should ship tomorrow. Time to start choosing a starting character so I dont waste the first two hours of game dithering over it.

Exactly what imgoing to do, two many spoilers in this thread now anyway from the lucky ones. :(

Something i forgot to ask those that have it: Is Party Chat really disabled while you're playing Dark Souls on 360?

I know it's almost certainly wasted hope, but somebody please answer this question. That, and can you summon people in a similar manner to the way it was done in Demon's Souls? I.e. is there a reliable work-around so that you can play with your mates?

I know it's almost certainly wasted hope, but somebody please answer this question. That, and can you summon people in a similar manner to the way it was done in Demon's Souls? I.e. is there a reliable work-around so that you can play with your mates?

I've never played a DS game before so watched the GiantBomb quicklook (which was very entertaining by the way, he seemed early on but was quite funny watching them all experience certain bits for the first time), they say No party chat on 360 but there is a gesture system.