IGNORED

Dark Souls - Prepare To Die... You Died.

The Sarge

I just assumed it was PS3 only for some reason. Think i'll pick it up. And then carry it to the counter, and hand over payment.

And then take it home and put it in a switched on Xbox, picking up the controller and pressing buttons on it?

And yes, Double O, by all accounts this is one of 2011's biggest releases for Proper Gamers.

I think there are going to be an awful lot of returned copies of this. I found Demon's Souls impenetrably difficult (6 hours to make it half way through level 1:1 as I recall), and I can't imagine this being any easier.

Nope, that's the point. You just chip away piece by piece and improve yourself. And then Curtis.

And then take it home and put it in a switched on Xbox, picking up the controller and pressing buttons on it?

And yes, Double O, by all accounts this is one of 2011's biggest releases for Proper Gamers.

Just as an insight into my bizarre brain, I hate the phrase "I'll pick this up", it's an annoying way of saying you're going to buy something, but in a casual manner, and as if anyone else could give a toss. People always self-importantly say it in threads about new games..."oh..i'll pick his up", and it deeply irritates me. So I found myself typing it, and had to take it to it's stupid conclusion. Anyway, carry on.

Apologies if posted, here's the DF face off...

In the final conclusion, image quality on both platforms is ostensibly identical, while performance is an apples and pears situation. Neither the 360 or PS3 version can definitively claim to have an absolute edge here, with Sony's machine taking volumetric effects in its stride, and Microsoft's handling destructible elements more convincingly. These are minor quibbles compared to the performance hit both consoles take in the face of particle effects and multiple enemies, however.

For the deciding vote, it's close enough for us to recommend either controller preference or the PS3 version's larger range of supported audio formats as more crucial points for consideration. It's clear From Software accepted no compromises when it set out to deliver the dark, fantastical world of Lordran, and to that end, an extreme price is paid in terms of playability at points. However, it's ultimately the same story whichever version you end up buying. In the run-up to its release much has been made of the game's promised difficulty, but it's ironic that Dark Souls is just as unforgiving towards your hardware as it is to you.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-dark-souls-face-off

One day left. :omg: :OMG: :omg:

Well I sit here, waiting for a postie that isn't going to come till 12. Trying to work which just isn't happening at all. Is it wrong I dreamt my play through of the tutorial, it was all in first person though and for some reason I couldn't roll.

I think there are going to be an awful lot of returned copies of this. I found Demon's Souls impenetrably difficult (6 hours to make it half way through level 1:1 as I recall), and I can't imagine this being any easier.

If Demon's Souls had of been the sort of game I could have helped overcome a difficult part by going away and grinding / levelling up elsewhere then I would have had more fun with it but I never really got the impression that was going to help. I had no trouble putting the hours in but using glitches etc to defeat bosses didn't really float my boat. I'm still tempted by Dark Souls though. :unsure:

You could do that. I spent hours grinding 1-1 before moving on to 4-1. 4-1 was a nightmare when I first tried it, but by the end I could complete a run of it from start to finish without getting hit and net myself 1000's souls in the process just through practice.

Think of Demon's souls like a racing game, where you try and top your best time on a given lap. Only the race track is full of disgusting creatures from your worst nightmares all trying to puncture your tyres and stick a banana in your exhaust pipe...

Again, 4-1 in Demon's souls was a classic example of this. When I first tried it, the first couple of rolling skeletons battered me over and over. I also did bugger all damage. By the end, I was running rings round them and one shotting them with my crazy powerful weapons.

And Demon's souls (and I'm hoping Dark Souls) are all about risk/reward!

Hell yeah I just defeated the first real boss monster! :D:omg:

the one at the end of Undead Burg! Man what a relief, it only took a few days! :omg: Of course, I was annihilated by a Dragon straight after :(

I think I'm starting to like this game! :unsure:

Oh you will and just you wait then you will like it alot and next thing you know you will be hooked and playing through NG++

Hmm, Amazon is packing my copy but it seems the guide will be arriving separately on a later date.

Yeah i think amazon are not despatching to the 11th Oct in Uk anyway

Hell yeah I just defeated the first real boss monster! :D:omg:

the one at the end of Undead Burg! Man what a relief, it only took a few days! :omg: Of course, I was annihilated by a Dragon straight after :(

I think I'm starting to like this game! :unsure:

That's not The Boss...

My main issue was that the more you die, the harder it gets. I still don't really understand why it's designed like that.

Because if you learn from your mistakes it should get easier each time you do it. Therefore the game balances the difficulty to compensate.

Gnnnn. I'm only on Undead Burg and I keep making stupid mistakes. The

skeleton pikemen don't have hit you for a fuckload of damage, and then there's that night in the tunnel. God damn it.

I found that I could circle them, dash out a Heavy Attack to provoke them, keep circling them and then rape them in the side/back. Their main issue is when they attack in multiples. That's still death for me.

Gnnnn. I'm only on Undead Burg and I keep making stupid mistakes. The

skeleton pikemen don't have hit you for a fuckload of damage, and then there's that night in the tunnel. God damn it.

I found that I could circle them, dash out a Heavy Attack to provoke them, keep circling them and then rape them in the side/back. Their main issue is when they attack in multiples. That's still death for me.

as Cyhwuhx says, the pikemen and the axemen are very susceptible to the backstab - just make sure to bring the analogue stick back to neutral before pressing attack! If you're still moving you'll only do a normal attack as someone pointed out earlier in the thread. Also, try to lure them to you one by one instead of walking towards a group. Buy some cheap throwing knifes from the nearby vendor (only 10 souls a piece) to make this easier if you haven't got a bow yet. Fire bombs are also handy (50 souls a piece).

The Knight in the tunnel is completely optional btw, there's an item behind him but it's a dead end. He's very hard, but coincidentally I just fucking beat him! It took ages though as I'm still only level 11 and it was really hard. In the end I had only a sliver of health left and my health flask was empty, all my firebombs used up. He's very susceptible to backstabbing too, but even then it takes ages to dwindle his health down.

as Cyhwuhx says, the pikemen and the axemen are very susceptible to the backstab - just make sure to bring the analogue stick back to neutral before pressing attack! If you're still moving you'll only do a normal attack as someone pointed out earlier in the thread. Also, try to lure them to you one by one instead of walking towards a group. Buy some cheap throwing knifes from the nearby vendor (only 10 souls a piece) if you haven't got a bow yet. Fire bombs are also handy (50 souls a piece).

The Knight in the tunnel is completely optional btw, there's an item behind him but it's a dead end. He's very hard, but coincidentally I just fucking beat him! It took ages though and it was really hard. In the end I had only a sliver of health left and my health flask was empty, all my firebombs used up. He's very susceptible to backstabbing too, but even then it takes ages to dwindle his health down.

Yeah, pretty much firebombed him as well. At the end I was fighting him right next to the previous bonfire. Tense stuff. Also, be sure to pick up the wooden shield underneath the Crossbow Skeleton near that bonfire. For some reason I completely walked passed it the first time. It's rather needed as well, as the small shield will pass some minor damage on, while the wooden shield absorbs a lot more.