IGNORED

Dark Souls - Prepare To Die... You Died.

The Sarge

SPOILER WARNING -

Sorry don't know how to it tags in from my phone.

With the graveyard I grabbed everything from there at the start of the game, I just took everything off for speed and ran like a girl to the items suiciding once I had them. I had no souls to lose!

Went back and killed them all afterwards, bloody hard at lvl 5!

Also picked up a totally overpowered sword. Anyone that has killed the blue dragon on Demons Souls will understand this - go below the bridge and snipe away..... Pic to follow , can't post it from my phone.

I got that weapon it is totally cool, looks great and does a serious amount of damage. :)

So I went exploring after defeating the nasty on top of the church

I picked up the gargoyle shield not an axe which I'm sure I did

and have now found far far too many options:

The Woods

- maybe my best option but it's giving me the fear

Basin - huge bloody Hydra in the distant

- no thanks but a shortcut back to the Burg above

New Londo Ruins - ghosts

...run....

Valley Of The Drakes

- Got absolutely taken apart by a

crustaceous dragon

who I creeped up on thinking/hoping/praying was made of stone (yeh right), he literally moved an inch and slaughtered me, so we didn't go back up there.

Blighttown

- grim , reminds me of the valley of defilement (shudder).

I'm genuinely worried/concerned about my next move as I seemed to get destroyed whichever way I go...

Lots of spoilers I know but not sure whether ppl will be annoyed if I name areas.

Well, it's 2am, my headache is that much fucking worse. I can barely fucking move, but wow. Excellent start.

Just beat the

Horned demon on the bridge. Got roasted by the dragon a couple of times and decided to call it a night. Anybody got any tips for getting past him? I made it to the middle one time and assumed he flew past me and ran out into a secondary roasting. :lol:

Dark Souls :wub:

If no-ones answered this

leg it. There's a set of stairs next to the skeletons he roasts on the right (and possibly left, but definitely right), so dive down them.

Also with regard to that bit, a question how do you get rid of poison? It's difficult to kill the rats before I get fucked.

Also also, RE: right stick target switching. It does work, bit you LITERALLY have to flick the right stick. If you do it too slowly it won't work, it only works when you flick it really quickly.

That's what she said LOLOLLOLOLOOOLLOLOLOLOLOL

If no-ones answered this

leg it. There's a set of stairs next to the skeletons he roasts on the right (and possibly left, but definitely right), so dive down them.

Also with regard to that bit, a question how do you get rid of poison? It's difficult to kill the rats before I get fucked.

Also also, RE: right stick target switching. It does work, bit you LITERALLY have to flick the right stick. If you do it too slowly it won't work, it only works when you flick it really quickly.

Cheers, but yeah, I'm past it now. Might be worth investing in a heater shield from the merchant to fight the rats. It completely blocks a lot of attacks, so you won't take minor damage or need to do much rollin'.

Cheers, but yeah, I'm past it now. Might be worth investing in a heater shield from the merchant to fight the rats. It completely blocks a lot of attacks, so you won't take minor damage or need to do much rollin'.

Ah cool. I have a shield dropped by the pikemen, it's big and metal but I'm not sure of it's properties.

So twice now I've noticed I have 6 Estus flasks and I think it has something to do with loitering near your bonfire (which I hadn't kindled by the way). The first time I noticed it way after leaving the bonfire but I had left my character sat at it for 5 minutes or so beforehand while I cooked dinner. The second time I'd left my character stood near the bonfire, I heard a swooshing noise and looked over to see what looked like me being awarded souls. I hadn't, but now I had 6 Estus flasks again.

Anyway, not sure what the deal is there but I thought I'd throw it out there in case anyone knows more, or it helps a fellow adventurer.

As far as I understand it, the number of Estus Flasks you get depends on how 'kindled' the bonfire is where you respawn. A lit bonfire with no kindling will start you off with 5 Estus Flasks, one kindle with start you off with 10, and I think another kindling boosts that up to 20. Could be wrong though.

The starting bonfire in the 'main' game gives you 10 right from the start, I think.

Thank you! I wondered why it didn't work at all for me :)

So twice now I've noticed I have 6 Estus flasks and I think it has something to do with loitering near your bonfire (which I hadn't kindled by the way). The first time I noticed it way after leaving the bonfire but I had left my character sat at it for 5 minutes or so beforehand while I cooked dinner. The second time I'd left my character stood near the bonfire, I heard a swooshing noise and looked over to see what looked like me being awarded souls. I hadn't, but now I had 6 Estus flasks again.

Anyway, not sure what the deal is there but I thought I'd throw it out there in case anyone knows more, or it helps a fellow adventurer.

You can 'kindle' a bonfire but it costs one humanity point. And you have to be alive (unhollowed) to do it. A standard bonfire gives 5 flasks but if you kindle it once it gives 10. I did that with the bonfire in Undead Burg, helped out a lot.

As for the six flasks thing, I don't know but I imagined that it's probably is something like you being near a bonfire when another player kindles it in his own game.

...As for the six flasks thing, I don't know but I imagined that it's probably is something like you being near a bonfire when another player kindles it in his own game.

Ahhhh, that sounds quite plausible. Good thinking.

I love the meta-adventure that goes on behind the game, sharing knowledge and speculating. Of course you can just go straight to a Wiki but real adventurers don't take shortcuts.

So had a quick rip on this, before the workmen come.

Got through the tutorial bit no problem and I am finding it quite easy so far although not sure if this has something to do with the amount of hrs I put into Demon Souls, although I do know I will get reaped at any minute. :ph34r:

So what is the point of kindling bonfires? Just to increase HP Flasks?

Btw the way I started as a wanderer and picked the pendant as I starting gift no idea why, was thinking might lead to something better later?

What did other people pick?

Just bagged an awesome ring that boosts HP, Stamina and Equip Load. ^_^

Sweet. Is it early on in the game? I wanna roll a knight but dont want to spend forever struggling with my equip weight. Knight was my very first Demons Souls class, gotta keep up the tradition :D

Btw the way I started as a wanderer and picked the pendant as I starting gift no idea why, was thinking might lead to something better later?

What did other people pick?

I did exactly the same, and given it's my first foray into the series I wish I'd have gone for something more helpful! Can the Wanderer not kick, by the way? One of the hints said it was forward+RB but that just does the slash-and-backflip thing.

Last night was my first journey into the Souls Universe, a baptism of fire. Lured by the prospect of loot, I stabbed an enemy from behind and was horrified to see it made barely a dent in his health. Given my own precarious state I ran away from that fucker across nearly half of the level, praying he would eventually stop persuing me, that the heavy breathing and footsteps behind me would cease. I seemed to gain some distance and hid behind a wall. I could still hear the enemy patrolling a nearby area, and peaked around the corner to see if he was returning to his original position. He looked right at me and charged, I turned and ran, anywhere would do. In my blind panic I fell off a bridge. Death, and yet relief. The next time I reached the enemy I decided to leave him for now. The trauma was just too great to face him. I scrawled a warning message nearby and ignored him. But soon I shall be back, and the loot shall be mine.

But first I have to retrieve the Souls that I lost at the boss on the bridge. Over 2000 souls right there. I have to figure out what the hell kindling is. I feel more battle-scarred and abused than I have for the duration of whole 20 hour games, and yet I know nothing. I am ready to learn, to succumb to the sweet sweet pain.

Sweet. Is it early on in the game? I wanna roll a knight but dont want to spend forever struggling with my equip weight. Knight was my very first Demons Souls class, gotta keep up the tradition :D

It was from an NPC i murdered. lol!

Equip Burden works differently on this game:

25% or less = Full mobility.

25-50% = Slower run, slight delay when getting up after evade/roll.

Over 50% = CLUNK!

Trust me, keeping your equip under 25% is a nightmare. Unless you're going naked of course. I've just had to adjust to the slightly slower running etc, cause my sword and shield weigh 10 between em, so no matter what outfit i pick, i'm still gonna be heavy.

It was from an NPC i murdered. lol!

Equip Burden works differently on this game:

25% or less = Full mobility.

25-50% = Slower run, slight delay when getting up after evade/roll.

Over 50% = CLUNK!

Trust me, keeping your equip under 25% is a nightmare. Unless you're going naked of course. I've just had to adjust to the slightly slower running etc, cause my sword and shield weigh 10 between em, so no matter what outfit i pick, i'm still gonna be heavy.

Oh well, sure i think it was only into about my 2nd playthrough of DS that i realised how beneficial having a low equip rate was! So im sure ill survive, for a bit.. :lol:

I'm new to this whole Souls thing. Could somebody explain how the flasks work please? I got 5 from a dude at the start, which replenished when I rested at a bonfire. Then I had 10 a little later, but once I'd use those and rested again, I only got 5 back. How does it work?

Edit: Sorry, I just caught up on the thread and saw this had already been asked/answered. I don't want to read too much for fear of spoilers!

I'd be interested to hear the opinions of those that never played Demon's Souls.

Hopefully I will be playing this later today and will let you know. I'm absolutely intrigued by this game like none beforehand, and can't wait to have a go on it.

To make life even harder I'm playing thief - keeping dex high to equip a bow and learning a few spells later on to keep a a few decent ranged options on hand, and relying on fast rolling to survive and backstabbing for damage. I think I've got some idea how to play* and enough patience to chip away, but until you try you don't really know what to expect.

*Despite an unhappy experince at the Expo which I blame on the lack of explanation of controls and the mozzarella pad provided.

Never so much as heard of this or the previous game before. Buying it today based on this thread.

Once question: Are the weapons, etc, that you find random? Do you find stuff in chests and suchlike, or is it all loot-drops from dead baddies?

I'm new to this whole Souls thing. Could somebody explain how the flasks work please? I got 5 from a dude at the start, which replenished when I rested at a bonfire. Then I had 10 a little later, but once I'd use those and rested again, I only got 5 back. How does it work?

You get 5 replenished from resting at a bonfire. You get 10 from a kindled bonfire (the first one in the main area is already kindled, I think). Get to another unkindled bonfire and you'll only get 5 again.

Once question: Are the weapons, etc, that you find random? Do you find stuff in chests and suchlike, or is it all loot-drops from dead baddies?

There are definitely four or five chests very near the start of the game proper, so there's that and there are drops from kills (plus some random corpses lying around already - I guess they're effectively the same as chests). I think the chest contents are fixed but the drops are random, based on rarity.

It's brilliant, like a cross between Ico and Vagrant Story in the look and feel of it, but with excellently satisfying combat and a fucking massive vicious streak.

Never so much as heard of this or the previous game before. Buying it today based on this thread.

Drops are random I think... but items you find in the world and chests are set and the same for everyone. The most recent decent write-up for this game is this one on Giant Bomb, I'd recommend reading that or a similar article to know what you're getting yourself into.

You get 5 replenished from resting at a bonfire. You get 10 from a kindled bonfire (the first one in the main area is already kindled, I think). Get to another unkindled bonfire and you'll only get 5 again.

And if someone kindles a bonfire when you are in the vicinity you get a benefit too. This multiplayer stuff is really freaking me out - watching deaths, seeing ghosts, hearing things, let alone being slain by some bastard invader.