IGNORED

Dark Souls - Prepare To Die... You Died.

The Sarge

Bwahaha those developers are wags. Just started the game, I've got a sword hilt as a weapon and I have to fight THAT thing?!! I laughed. Died about 10 times so far but it's all good fun, and it's a good practice area for combat what with the bonfire just outside.

:( Postie has been to work and Dark Souls wasn't included - Despite the fact that Tesco shipped it on Tuesday, so no Dark Souls for me this weekend :(

Be comforted by the fact that at least THIS weekend you'll still be able to sleep soundly, without constantly waking up screaming, soaking in sweat.

Did they have a valid reason for that, do you know? Surely they should have just disabled the chat if players were actually playing together, rather than just being on their Xboxes at the same time.

Oh well. Offline play it is. :(

But through the very way that the party system is designed, it means that there's no real way to differentiate between what games you're all playing at the same time. So it's not like the developers could isolate those in the party playing Dark Souls from those who weren't, if that makes sense.

There's always Saturday delivery?

Took the plunge and headed down to the lower city and very, very slowly crept through there. Even doing that though managed to rack me up about 6 or 8 deaths. The beasties with their instajib move down there put those caped knights to shame.

I'd kill be killed for a magic blocking shield though.

Jesus Harold Christ! Me and some random Japanese dude, just took down probably the biggest Demon i've ever seen! It puts anything in Monster Hunter to shame! My hearts still fuckin' pounding. :omg:

Bigger than that one you had to fight on the boat in the desert?! I cannot fucking wait....

But through the very way that the party system is designed, it means that there's no real way to differentiate between what games you're all playing at the same time. So it's not like the developers could isolate those in the party playing Dark Souls from those who weren't, if that makes sense.

Really? So how come when you start a (different) game it pops up "Players in your party playing this game" or something.

Anyway, it doesn't matter, it's just annoying that I'll have to play offline mode if I want to chat to my mates.

How do you even tell if you're a human or not? I'm a thief and my costume covers up most of my body. When I restart at a bonfire I assume I should no longer be human but my health bar doesnt seem any lower.

Also last night I noticed I had the number 1 in the big circle in the top left of the screen but after I died it was zero. What does that represent?

I'm wearing the same mask and I can see clearly whether I'm human or not - you see the red scarred flesh around your eyes. if in doubt, unequip your armor to see. Also, you know because if you've fucking died at least once already and you don't recall spending a humanity point to unhollow yourself then yeah you're a hollow zombie! :lol: You've got to do a reverse hollowing at a bonfire (at the cost of one humanity point) to revive yourself. You also need to be alive (unhollowed) to kindle a bonfire so that you can carry around more flasks. Kindling also costs one humanity point.

The number in the top left is your humanity points. You lose them just like you lose your souls, if you die you lose them. If you make it back to your bloodstain you get all your souls and humanity points back. You can unhollow (revive) and kindle with humanity points and the more humanity points you have the greater your item drop rate from enemies.

One question: Can you sell / story stuff in this game? With a lack of any Stockpile Thomas around, I'm a little confused on that front.

You can't sell or trade stuff but you get infinite storage later on in the game so keep your shit.

So. Many. Deaths. Brute-forced my way through the

Capra Demon

before going to bed last night. I think I accidentally misused an upgrade item -

The Firekeeper Soul from the Undead Parish, I used it from the inventory and it gave me 5 Humanity rather than the Estus Flask upgrade I was expecting. I possibly misread the item text, I was pretty tired by that point.

I've been running around with the

Zweihander

I found in the

Graveyard

for most of the game, though there are definitely times when I'd rather be cowering behind a shield. Love the open-world aspect, it's so strange reading about people just starting and finding areas I've yet to discover, 8 hours in.

Any opinions on the newly-separate Resistance stat? I'm not sure whether to invest in it.

Anyway, it doesn't matter, it's just annoying that I'll have to play offline mode if I want to chat to my mates.

Don't fucking play in offline mode you nutter! :lol: Half the fun in the game is seeing hints from other players, leaving your own, seeing bloodstains from others and how they died, being invaded or calling for help, seeing ghosts of nearby players which can give you beneficial effects... if you play in offline mode you're missing out on all that and the game becomes a lesser game for it. Also, you CANNOT speak or be distracted while playing Dark Souls anyway! If you do, you're guaranteed to fuck up way more than you need to, die way more than you need to and subsequently get way more frustrated than you needed to because you stubbornly wanted to chat to your mates about broads and football when you could've easily done that some other time.

:)

Yeah, online's where it's at. So far I've benefitted from a good few user messages indicating secret doors/walls (one in particular to a bonfire in its own little secret section) which I'd never have found on my own.

Gotta love those moments when you're creeping through a new area and encounter a mid-level boss whose health you whittle down over the course of three or four stressful minutes and finally - YES - defeat him, only to continue along the path and discover ... wtf ... another one? and realise that what you thought was a mid-level boss was actually a standard enemy, several of which you can now see lurking in the distance. Dear god.

How do you repair equipment again? My jagged ghost blade, which pretty much one shots everything in Undeadburg, is about to bust :(

I bought a repair kit from the merchant in Undead Burg which allows you to repair equipment at bonfires. Shortly after Undead Burg there is also a blacksmith iirc.

Really? So how come when you start a (different) game it pops up "Players in your party playing this game" or something.

But that's dashboard functionality, nothing to do with the developers. It's not like From Software can just say to Microsoft "so, for this multi-platform, fairly niche game that we're releasing, we'd like to have the ability to tinker with the way in which party functionality works under very specific circumstances."

Listen to your man Gerbik here. Stay online, and play the game the way it was meant to be played.

Don't fucking play in offline mode you nutter! :lol: Half the fun in the game is seeing hints from other players, leaving your own, seeing bloodstains from others and how they died, being invaded or calling for help, seeing ghosts of nearby players which can give you beneficial effects... if you play in offline mode you're missing out on all that and the game becomes a lesser game for it. Also, you CANNOT speak or be distracted while playing Dark Souls anyway! If you do, you're guaranteed to fuck up way more than you need to, die way more than you need to and subsequently get way more frustrated than you needed to because you stubbornly wanted to chat to your mates about broads and football when you could've also easily done that some other time.

Haha, thanks. I appreciate all of that, but I've got a few mates I only chat with over XBL, and we've been doing that for years. I'm planning to play DS at least until Skyrim comes out, so it's just a bit of a pain. I'll have to have specific online/offline nights or something. It's just a hassle.

But still, cracking game (so far)!

I printed out the map and mini guide today, so I can have a read through on my way home tonight. I want to read through the parts I've already played, just to see what I've missed. The map doesn't seem detailed enough to be particularly useful, but hey, it's printed on work's printer and paper, so it's all good.

Haha, thanks. I appreciate all of that, but I've got a few mates I only chat with over XBL, and we've been doing that for years. I'm planning to play DS at least until Skyrim comes out, so it's just a bit of a pain. I'll have to have specific online/offline nights or something. It's just a hassle.

Turn on 360, go into preferences, set visible status to offline, fire up Dark Souls. Done and no need to thank me :)

But that's dashboard functionality, nothing to do with the developers. It's not like From Software can just say to Microsoft "so, for this multi-platform, fairly niche game that we're releasing, we'd like to have the ability to tinker with the way in which party functionality works under very specific circumstances."

Sure, but they could say "Oh look, these people in your party are playing different games, so there's no need to send you back to the menu screen". That wouldn't need any involvement from MS at all.

Anyway, it doesn't matter. I'll work around it.

Also, I'm new to all this, so what's the reason why you're not allowed to play this with your mates, but can still play with other people?

Turn on 360, go into preferences, set visible status to offline, fire up Dark Souls. Done and no need to thank me :)

Seriously? That will let me chat and play? YOU LEGEND!

Sure, but they could say "Oh look, these people in your party are playing different games, so there's no need to send you back to the menu screen". That wouldn't need any involvement from MS at all.

Anyway, it doesn't matter. I'll work around it.

Also, I'm new to all this, so what's the reason why you're not allowed to play this with your mates, but can still play with other people?

Youre really, really missing the point of DS if you want to play and chat with mates while playing it. The whole point of Dark/Demons souls, is that youre a lone warrior, in a desloate land, against incredible odds, where the only help you can find comes from mute spectres of other warriors. Its meant to be a solitary, grim, battle against a game world that is literally going out of tis way to stop you at every single turn. not a few beers and a chat with the lads sort of game!

I only managed an hour last night which was me going through the tutorial and just into Undead Burg. Just a couple of wee questions, stuff I meant to look up last night and forgot:

This hollow/unhollow business, is it the same as being/not being in human form in Demon's Souls? I remember that was a thing but I can't remember the advantages of one over the other. A little help pls?

I couldn't work out how to leave messages, how do I do this?

No :lol: Your mates won't see that you're online if you set your visibility to 'offline' in the dash. You'll be playing online in Dark Souls but your chatty mates will be none the wiser and won't bother you :)

Youre really, really missing the point of DS if you want to play and chat with mates while playing it. The whole point of Dark/Demons souls, is that youre a lone warrior, in a desloate land, against incredible odds, where the only help you can find comes from mute spectres of other warriors. Its meant to be a solitary, grim, battle against a game world that is literally going out of tis way to stop you at every single turn. not a few beers and a chat with the lads sort of game!

Oh. That's a shame, then. I can't personally imagine putting tens of hours into a game if I have to sit there in silence on my own playing it.

I think I'll carry on with the offline mode for a while and see if it really does spoil the game. Don't hate me. I really enjoyed the game last night, so I want to stick with it. I'm just not prepared to sacrifice what little social contact I have with this particular set of friends for the sake of one game.