IGNORED

Dark Souls - Prepare To Die... You Died.

The Sarge

Something odd happened the other night. I was in the Painted World of Ariamis when someone invaded me. Instead of the usual routine (invader kills me in two hits while seemingly immune to mine, fucks my progress in the area), he didn't attack immediately; he just stood there and a weird, deep voice said "I'm sorry." He then threw items onto the ground which I couldn't pick up, then he finally killed me (in two hits while seemingly immune to mine). When I went back to the area where we fought, the items were no longer there.

Wtf was all that about?

I completed a SL1 run today. Had been working on it for a few days, and after a bit of farming for a NG+ I decided to beat Gwyn tonight. It was easier than I thought it would be, and surprisingly fun. Amazingly, the game still managed to surprise me after all those hundreds of hours, although not with anything too exciting:

Sunlight maggots will drop red chunks.

I never bothered speaking to Frampt when I got the Lordvessel and he went in a right old huff with me even though I never spoke to Kaathe. I beat the Four Kings last and Kaathe didn't appear, which I was expecting after Frampt being in a strop with me. Slightly disappointed as I could have used the orb in my NG+ to invade.

Darkwraiths occasionally drop 2 x chunks.

There are occasionally low level people who can be summoned in high level areas.

There are Low level twinks everywhere who will invade you.

I think that is me finished with the game, although that won't be the first time I have said that.

Well, with about 70 hours on the clock, I've finally finished it. By which I mean I killed the last boss and saw the end credits. I should think there's loads of stuff I missed. I wish it let you fuck around at the end of the game after killing the boss, finding stuff you missed. I don't like the way it just dumps you back at the beginning. Although at least I am now able to stroll through the early parts of the game, swatting enemies aside with my mighty +15 Man-Serpent Greatsword.

Are there multiple endings? The ending I saw didn't make much sense, at least to me.

Edit: is referring to my penis as "my mighty +15 Man-Serpent Greatsword" acceptable in public?

I have not met Kaathe.

Ending stuff spoilered in case anyone is near the end but hasn't finished it yet (jimmy shredders?)

I thought my quest was to follow in the footsteps of Lord Gwyn and 'link the fire', whatever that means. But I got to Gwyn and he attacked me, so obv I killed him, then LOL it turns out I have ushered in a new age of darkness, and I am the Dark Lord. I guess I wasn't supposed to kill Gwyn to get the 'good' ending. Oh yeah, it seems Chompy Neckface at the Firelink Shrine was misleading me the whole time. He was the one who told me to gather the lord souls and go to the firelink alter and blah blah blah, but he was there celebrating at the end when I became the dark lord. I'm going to kill him in this playthrough.

Jesus christ. I thought I was all mighty and going round like "bwah ha haaaa, you puny weaklings cannot harm me!" But I've just died five times at the gargoyles. These motherfuckers hit hard.

Gwyn went mad like everyone else. He will always try to kill you, and you must kill him to beat the game. You just walked out without linking the fire, which would have got a different ending. If you'd met Kaathe there'd be a bit more context.

There is a debate on which is the good ending.

OK now I understand the difficulty people have with the Anor Londo archers. I swear I didn't have much of a problem with these gits on the first time round. They're now a fucking billion times more aggressive and have better aim and fire faster and are bastards.

ATTEMPT 1

I started playing this a couple of weeks ago, as a Wanderer (I think?) with the Master Key. Spent ages using the ridiculously detailed options to perfect my character's face, because I wasn't sure if it was going to be one of those games like Mass Effect, where if I didn't get the face exactly right, it would look weird and annoy me every time it was shown in cutscenes in close-up. Upon beginning the game, it seems like all those tweakable appearance options don't matter much at all. :(

I found it a bit odd that my main attack is on RB. Why in the world doesn't the game let you remap the controls so that 360 X/PS3 Square is your main attack, like it is in everything from Castlevania: SOTN (which uses a similar left hand/right hand equip system) to Ninja Gaiden, Bayonetta and the Batman Arkham games? I mean, I got used to it, but it does still feel a bit odd.

I had no problems with the tutorial section, then I got to the Undead Burg. Died. Died. Died again for good measure.

Then I decided to experiment with what would happen if I attacked the merchant NPC. Big mistake! :facepalm: Upon looking at a wiki, it seems there IS a way to make him friendly again at some point after this level. But doing so would be HARD - even harder than the game is already - given that I didn't have any magical attacks, and had lost my only means of replenishing my arrows, leaving me with no long-range attacks.

So, after about three hours' play time, at level 13-ish, I decided to quit and start the game again.

ATTEMPT 2

I started again as a Pyromancer. I didn't use the Master Key this time, because I watched one beginner's guide video that said it might make it too easy for me to accidentally wander into areas that I don't know I'm not supposed to go. Progressed a lot more quickly this time. Finally managed to survive that set of enemies in the Undead Burg... before meeting a knight at the end of a corridor. You'll be surprised to hear that he killed me!

I've kindled the bonfire so it gives me 10 flasks, but it doesn't help much: I'm still repeatedly playing the same section of level on my way to that knight. I try and run away and lure him back to the open area up the stairs where he might be easier to fight, but I haven't had much luck: dodging seems too unpredictable to rely on. I can barely see the health bar above his head, so I don't know how effective my long-range fire spells and firebomb throws are against him. Sometimes when I've gathered/recovered a couple of thousand souls, before I die I use a Homeward Bone to return to that campfire, and level up. IIRC I'm now at about level 13 or 14, and those basic undead enemies are each dying in two hits.

Also, at this point, enemies seem to be dropping crossbows and titanite shards with increased frequency (even though I'm not human, which I understand increases item drop probabilities).

In other words: I'm grinding. I get the feeling that when I do finally get past that knight, it'll be because I levelled up, rather than because I learned the proper way of defeating him!

And that's not a fun or satisfying way to progress!

I mean, I've read all those comments about why this is one game where trial and error is a GOOD thing, but to be honest I'm not finding it much fun at the moment. Sure, there's a rhythm to the combat that's a bit clunky but also somehow kind of appealing and addictive. (On flat areas, that is: on stairways, it's only clunky.) But when I'm playing through the same set of basic enemies over and over again on my way to a difficulty spike, I need a combat system that's as dynamic and varied as Ninja Gaiden or Bayonetta, or as automated but satisfyingly solid as Arkham Asylum, in order to keep my interest and make me feel like persevering is worthwhile. (It'd be nice if the dodge rolls felt as predictable as in those games, too.)

So, across my two characters, I've spent about six hours playing this so far, and I still haven't met a proper boss in the Undead Burg.

Is that normal...? :unsure:

Am I doing this right...? :unsure:

Do you think this game is even for me...? :(

Ignore the knight. Instead of going down the stairs to him, go up the stairs and into the tower. Keep going up and head through the mist door.

Combat is about patience and knowing when to use your attacks. Keep your distance, and keep your shield up! Strike when the enemy gives you an opening. I'm sure someone will be along soon who can sum up and explain it better than me. The adjustment to the combat is very steep - and ultimately extremely rewarding.

Hope it clicks for you soon! RLLMUK game of the generation!

Once it clicks, it will click hard and you'll understand why it's considered the best game of the generation, why the combat is perfect and couldn't be mapped any other way without ruining it, and why it's the most satisfying gaming experience ever. Or maybe it will never click :(

OK now I understand the difficulty people have with the Anor Londo archers. I swear I didn't have much of a problem with these gits on the first time round. They're now a fucking billion times more aggressive and have better aim and fire faster and are bastards.

This bit is properly doing my nut in. I feel like I'm at breaking point.... I don't want to jack this game in after all I've been thought so far sob sob

So, across my two characters, I've spent about six hours playing this so far, and I still haven't met a proper boss in the Undead Burg.

Is that normal...? :unsure:

Am I doing this right...? :unsure:

Do you think this game is even for me...? :(

I bought Dark Souls on day 1 knowing only that it was a tough game. Like you, I spent flippin' ages in Undead Berg as any of those 'basic' enemies would kill me 50% of the time, but it really helped drum it into me how the combat works. As for the Knight with his back to you, I reckon that was a bit of humour on the Developers part as they're basically saying "Here's an easy kill", only for your cockiness to quickly turn to horror when you realise that next to no damage was dealt. As Stoikovich says, just ignore him and move on up.

Whilst playing Dark Souls I'd have to said it was possibly the most painful and brutal game I'd ever played, with every step hard fought for, but it was counterbalanced by tremendous feelings of satisfaction and relief when I found the next bonfire. Whether the game is for you depends entirely on your mindset. There's no need to grind and the fights are not unfair but you will die and die again so if you don't accept that then I can see it being a miserable experience, however it you think of it as a challenge, type up here with your tales of woe and triumphs (like we all did) and keep on to the very end then I can assure you that you'll be left with a profound respect for the game and, dare I say, a longing to return.

Oh and to know you're not alone in the pain Dark Souls deals out I recommend watching this vid for a few laughs (it includes that Knight):

First play through number one rule - shield up

Yep. Making sure to lower it to recoup stamina (back off from your opponent if needs be. No point in being up in someone's grill with no stamina to block or hit with!)

Second play through number one rule - run past (almost) everything

No. Take every opportunity to share your new found expertise with all of those playmates that taught you harsh lessons in game one.

Hmm, I think I've found my giving up point with this game. I bought the dlc, and have got as far as Knight Artorias. I've only had about 4 or 5 attempts, but I have no desire to continue. Which is odd because all of the previous many-death sticking points have made me all the more determined to get past them. This one, however, just makes me think "ugh, can't be bothered."

Maybe I'm just burnt out with the game in general. I'll give it a rest for a week or two and see if that rekindles my enthusiasm.

Stick with it, the DLC area after it is pretty good, and the storyline for this area is one of the best in the game. Besides brave Knight Artorias is my all-time favourite boss battle in over 30 years of playing games.

Naturally he's kind of similar to Sif in a way - so if you know his tells he's easy enough to roll-avoid. When he lunges just roll towards his broken arm & when he leaps at you leave it to the last second to dodge, then go in for a quick hit (don't get greedy) while he recovers.

After you take chunks of his health off you'll see him charging up Dark, you can knock him out of this with 4 or 5 strong hits & significantly weaken him, but the window here is pretty tight, so unless you're close to him & confident you can knock him out of Dark energy its best to avoid as the explosion will fuck you up. When he's powered up his attacks all take more health or stamina off you. I mainly used these as an opportunity to Estus up, or cast anything that might help (Not magic or elemental powers though).

You'll need as much stamina (and poise) for this battle as you can get, the best option is probably the Mother mask & only using your shield when you need it so you keep your gauge as full, and as usual keep under 25% equip. Keep with it though as he is Dark Souls most rewarding fight.

- If you think he's hard you have no idea the pain Manus & that horrible fucker Kalameet are about to inflict!

Yeah, didn't have much trouble with Artorias here. Manus was an absolute bast though, completely ground my progress to a halt for ages. I ended up giving up and going off to do a load of other areas and level up about 10 times before I was able to come back and finally beat him (plus nabbed that silver pendant...). Definitely the hardest fight of the game.

Hmm, I think I've found my giving up point with this game. I bought the dlc, and have got as far as Knight Artorias. I've only had about 4 or 5 attempts, but I have no desire to continue. Which is odd because all of the previous many-death sticking points have made me all the more determined to get past them. This one, however, just makes me think "ugh, can't be bothered."

Maybe I'm just burnt out with the game in general. I'll give it a rest for a week or two and see if that rekindles my enthusiasm.

That fucker took me 50+ attempts, but its worth it. What comes after is just amazing.

For what its worth I went with a long spear and + poise ring and shield. Basically I turtled the fucker, he couldn't break my poise and I just chipped him down.

Many people on this thread told me to stick with it, don't get depressed, dont give up, go fuck him up!

I'm ashamed to admit it but I haven't played this for a good while - Most of my attention has been focused on the One.

I have every intention of having a big session tomorrow and telling those archers where they can shove it - And then get swiftly killed by the next big ugly bastard around the corner.