Dark Souls - Prepare To Die... You Died.

The Sarge

First time I did Manus I was using a really shitty Faith/Dex build which was just utter shite against all the DLC bosses. Also, I was never able to find Sif's summon sign, so I just had to man up and get it done with good old fashioned rolling a million times a second. I started a new character on PC last year, and have been playing this on and off, just past Ornstein and Smough, but am now suffering from lack of willpower to wander into the Duke's Archives, the Catacombs, New Londo or the Demon Ruins.

I suppose since I'm going for a classic Dex/Int build I should go to the archives first to get Logan's delicious spells.

Am i missing something here? Why would it be useless/pointless ?

I got destroyed by a dual wielding Quelaag's Furysword build in the Burgh last night…. looked awesome enough.

There's nothing helpful or fun about it.

In other games that have built proper systems in place for duel wielding, it's a viable alternative.

There are no bonuses to attack rate or damage, no useful combos that elevate it above using one decent weapon.

The weapon in the left hand is gimped as the game is built around one or two handing a single weapon.

This is one of the things I'm looking forward to in 2. Apparently duel wielding is an actual thing in that.

About Manus: I was playing as massive tank with a massive axe. I simply stood in front of Manus, cast Iron Flesh, and started chopping with without stopping. The fight was over before it even started.

Manus was the easiest boss in the game for me, but Kalameet was the hardest. Well the seconded hardest after Laurel and Hardy.

There's nothing helpful or fun about it.

In other games that have built proper systems in place for duel wielding, it's a viable alternative.

There are no bonuses to attack rate or damage, no useful combos that elevate it above using one decent weapon.

The weapon in the left hand is gimped as the game is built around one or two handing a single weapon.

This is one of the things I'm looking forward to in 2. Apparently duel wielding is an actual thing in that.

Nothing fun or helpful about it? Different perspectives I guess… imo it's just as viable or entertaining as any other build. I agree that most weapons don't add much to the attack repertoire but i think you are a bit easy in dismissing it as useless or pointless. Gold Tracer is such an awesome off hand weapon, you should really try it out if you haven't!

I have. I got the Lord's Blade set and both tracers. Ran around for a bit with them but it just didn't feel worth it.

Can you explain any benefit to duel wielding?

Weapon and Shield = You can block, attack and possibly parry/Shield-bash.

Two Handed = You get a new playstyle with different moves (usefulness differs from weapon to weapon). Some weapons break guard instantly. Usually an increase in damage.

Duel Wielding = ?

W&S and 2H both feel fleshed out. DW just feels like an afterthought.

About Manus: I was playing as massive tank with a massive axe. I simply stood in front of Manus, cast Iron Flesh, and started chopping with without stopping. The fight was over before it even started.

Manus was the easiest boss in the game for me, but Kalameet was the hardest. Well the seconded hardest after Laurel and Hardy.

That's fatboy and slim.

I have. I got the Lord's Blade set and both tracers. Ran around for a bit with them but it just didn't feel worth it.

Can you explain any benefit to duel wielding?

Weapon and Shield = You can block, attack and possibly parry/Shield-bash.

Two Handed = You get a new playstyle with different moves (usefulness differs from weapon to weapon). Some weapons break guard instantly. Usually an increase in damage.

Duel Wielding = ?

W&S and 2H both feel fleshed out. DW just feels like an afterthought.

Dan man this should be obvious… the most important benefit is that you look damn cool dual wielding, you have to admit at least that :P Like two- handing everything it adds a fun challenge. You can still switch to 2-handing your right hand weapon if the situation requires it so it's a mix of play styles. It also surprises some other players which can be an advantage. Anyway i had great fun with dual katana's, DGM's, lots of combo's really...

Basically how I killed Nito in my last playthrough. Felt a bit cheap, but did the trick first time.

Dan man this should be obvious… the most important benefit is that you look damn cool dual wielding, you have to admit at least that :P Like two- handing everything it adds a fun challenge. You can still switch to 2-handing your right hand weapon if the situation requires it so it's a mix of play styles. It also surprises some other players which can be an advantage. Anyway i had great fun with dual katana's, DGM's, lots of combo's really...

Dual katanas doesn't give you anything that using just one wouldn't, though; except that you don't have a shield. Maybe it surprises other players in that they think you're mental for not having a shield and forget to fight properly.

Dual katanas doesn't give you anything that using just one wouldn't, though; except that you don't have a shield. Maybe it surprises other players in that they think you're mental for not having a shield and forget to fight properly.

I've never tested this out or anything but I believe i read somewhere a follow up L1 strike after an R1 is quicker then your second or follow up R1 attack would be. Personally if i invade someone dual wielding whatever i become very cautious as more times then not it's an extremely skilled player. At nearly 40 years old, and with detoriorating skills and reflexes, I often use appearances and unjustified swagger in an attempt to strike fear in my opponents (almost never works though lol).

That's not it at all. I'm not giving him shit. I was answering someone else's question when I started talking about DW. It bothers me in no way what builds people enjoy. I was just giving my opinion.

SL1, No Shield and similar challenge runs are a different discussion, though I did muddy the water a bit by bringing it up earlier as an aside.

Manus is such a cunt.

Manus is deaded. Felt so good go see him disintegrate into nothingness. :-)

My level 99 tank managed to block even his most damaging physical attacks. Thank you Greatshield of Artorias+5! His dark magic attacks were almost the end of me. But thanks to some careful blocking and timely estus use I did it. :-)

Now I'm off to get giant blacksmith bloke to make me a shiny new catalyst from Manus' soul.

Tonight saw the demise of Demon Firesage and Centipede Demon in the Demon Ruins :) Only 2 attempts on each, grabbed the embers.

Still to visit :

Lost Izalith

The Catacombs

Tomb of Giants

Kiln of The First Flame

The Great Hollow

Ash Lake

and any DLC areas.