Dark Souls - Prepare To Die... You Died.

The Sarge

I think it was Curtis asking where to farm green titanite shards? I've got a good few now from

those big blob creature things that fall from the ceiling in the depths.

You beauty! That's right near my

Rat/Humanity farming point.

:)

Oh, my characters changed from that pic of half-hour ago. lol!

anyone in the catacombs some strange shit happened to me.

I was walking from the hidden bonfire had just gone afk for a wizz, when I came back and walked a bit a cut scene started. some kind of skeletal cthulu smashed a hole in a wall and then a red phantom told or said something along the lines of "spoil my focus". I walked around for a bit and he appeared and cast some kind of fire spell which obliterated me. It wasn't an invasion as it never came up.

What the dickens happened?

That Cthulu person is the blacksmith in the catacombs. Ordinarily he appears when you fall into his place from a certain point in the catacombs(the weird spiral staircase which seems to apparently end abruptly).

When he appears he generally says something like "Leave this place you'll spoil my focus" at which point you can start perstering him about blacksmithing.

No idea about the red phantom though.

Also, uh, anyone know how you're meant to survive on lava?

I've managed to be summoned into another game once in 10 hrs of play, I can't summon anyone else as on the rare occasion I do see a sign when in human form I always get summoning failed.

Any advise or similar experiences?

This is on the 360 version, I'm really missing the online components, I just love co op :(

I'm hollow at the moment and have just put a summon sign down outside the Capra Demon. I was planning on doing the boss in someone else's game before doing it by myself. I'm confused because I have never once seen this sign before in the whole 20 hours I've been playing this game. Are you meant to be seeing these white summon signs around the world? I don't get it really, I thought I'd be seeing signs from the host and choosing to join. Am I doing it wrong?

You don't see the signs if you're hollow and then you're more likely to see them around bosses. Or you could just be me and it's not too bad to be summoned but when you have the humanity there's nobody around to summon. Just having no luck with the boss in Blighttown/swamps, have just changed my equipment focusing on fire resistance which helps but nobody seems to be summoning now and as I say that. They die within a few seconds.

On the plus side I've got a few levels out of it, 10k souls if you win and roughly an extra 8k should you join a game that's invaded on the way.

Capra Demon has ruined the game for me tonight :( I don't mind hard bosses if they're fair but this fight is basically decided within 3 seconds of you starting. I managed to summon someone and then died before he could even enter the room. Everyone keeps saying get to the stairs but one of the bloody dogs always blocks me. I've not minded hitting a bit of a brick wall previously because I've always felt like I'm progressing in some way but this is just me sprinting for 2-3 minutes to get bum-raped within 3 seconds. So annoying.

well... what a weekend.

i got demon's souls, but didn't play very much in the rush of titles that swept it into my to-be-played pile.

so, to be honest, it was demon's souls reputation, and the great looking graphics of dark souls that got me to give this new game more of a go.

i'm so glad i did.

i think this is a masterpiece in games, and is sure to be one of my favourite games ever; a proper desert island disc. i have never been so hopelessly hooked by a game in a long long time, perhaps since FF Tactics back on PSone.

i just want to keep on playing, but must get some rest now; have clocked up around 18hours in two days, but i don't feel the slightest bit guilty!

in my game so far, i went down the garden path (literally) to have the boss there hand my ass to me; to then start playing around the lower undead parish, hitting a roadblock at the capra demon too. did enough souls farming to get the crest of artorias, but need some items to let me see and fight the ghosts there. till tomorrow!

Quelaag is finally dead. :omg:

I don't care to think how long I've spent trying to kill her, but I started Blighttown just after one, I just hope I don't have to come back here. It says something about the game that I've wanted to keep going and even now I just want to push on and see what's next.

It's taken about 7 hours to do a stretch about half the size of Blighttown but finally, the end is in sight and it's a big, giant glowing doorway.

On the plus side it did net me 45k souls. On the downside it cost me about 20+ deaths.

Dark Souls, you are one twisted bitch. :wub:

Right I finally finished Rage and decided to stick this on for a few mins. I want to start it properly tomorrow when I'm not so tired (and can concentrate) but wanted to have a quick nosey.

Created my character and off I went. Within 5 mins I nearly shit myself as I ran up a pathway and BOOM, fuckin boulder knocked my off my feet making me jump a few feet. Ah Dark Souls, nice to meet you too :D

Quick question, I know there is no 'wrong' character to make but is a Pyromancer an ok starting character ? Usually I play a knight style character (and did so in Demon Souls) but I thought I'd try something different to start off with. I started off as them with the strong explosive flasks but I was wondering if maybe I should have went with the master key as the gift....

Oh man, this fucking game :wub:

I thought i was finished with undead burg, but i went back to the bridge after hearing tales of a mysterious drake sword. So i head back to firelink shrine, make my way up to the burg, discover a secret area id not seen the first time, then bought the residence key from the merchant, explored some more, found more stuff id not seen before. Decided to take on the black knight, he greased me twice, but on the 3rd attempt vengeance was mine. Unlocked a coupel more shortcuts too, its only when you unlock them all, and see how everythign is connected, you realise how great the level design in this really is.

Then discovered the locked door near the dragon bridge was now unlockable, spent another half hour exploring down there, came back up, got my drake sword, and went back to the parish. To say i felt like a badass is an understatement. Those caped knights now cower in terror when they see me and speak my name in hushed tones lest i smite them with my TWATTING GREAT DRAKE SWORD OF DIVINE VENGEANCE ARRRRRGH. Killed titanite demon with ease, now bedtime. Dark Souls :wub:

It's taken about 7 hours to do a stretch about half the size of Blighttown but finally, the end is in sight and it's a big, giant glowing doorway.

On the plus side it did net me 45k souls. On the downside it cost me about 20+ deaths.

Dark Souls, you are one twisted bitch. :wub:

Just an addendum to this; If you've defeated the two bosses in the Blighttown area, do not under any circumstance go any further beyond that unless you like pain. Particularly as to continue on in that area requires a specific story event to be finished beforehand. You have been warned...

Just an addendum to this; If you've defeated the two bosses in the Blighttown area, do not under any circumstance go any further beyond that unless you like pain. Particularly as to continue on in that area requires a specific story event to be finished beforehand. You have been warned...

Some nice armour to be snatched down there, even if you have to die for it...

So I've done Blight Town and I've cleared upto the boss in New Londo Ruins but can't spawn it yet. So where to go? So far I've done..

Butterfly boss

Hydralisk

Blight Town and everything before that

I've still yet to join a covenant :/ Not sure what to do about that, I'm open to options.

Wait... two bosses? Did I miss one? :unsure:

I only fought Quelaag...unless you mean the Ceaseless bastard too...

Jesus, this game. Headed through the door that opens after ringing the two bells, and ended up doing the whole of...

Sen's Fortress. I think it might be my new favourite area of the game so far. After the dankness of Blighttown and the eerie quiet of Darkroot Gardens, it's just... wow. Amazing view after amazing view all the way to the top, with an astonishing visual payoff after defeating the boss.

This is better than Demon's Souls, of that there is no doubt. And I went mental for Demon's Souls...

IMAG0837.jpg

Or maybe I'm just mental full stop. Don't care really.

THIS GAME. :wub:

Wait... two bosses? Did I miss one? :unsure:

I only fought Quelaag...unless you mean the Ceaseless bastard too...

Yeah that's who I meant.

Not enitrely sure what's needed but after the gauntlet of 7 Capra demons, various little mobs and a Tauros demon at the end, the yellow fog gate at the end says something like "You require the Lord's power" or something.

All those hours fighting to get down there and then I had to spend all that time trying to get back out...

Right I feel like I am missing something or set a foot wrong. I have had this for a week now but I am only 3 hours in because of work and the Battlefield beta. After getting to the first real area I took the steps up. After the next fire I cant seem to progress. I can battle all the normal mans but then I come to a bit where my only choices seem to be to head down a tunnel with a super hard bastard at the entrance wiho I cant really damage or keep going up steps until I get locked in a boss battle with some huge crazy fucker on some battlements. Im only level 6 and just getting near either of these cats is using like 3 este. Any hints?

I'm playing both the PS3 and 360 versions simultaneously, using my Sorcerer PS3 build to explore and figure out what tactics work best against what enemies, then using my 360 Knight build to go in and hit them with a big sword. Because of this, I'm not really progressing very far (Just rang the bell in the Undead Parish) but it's an interesting way to experience two different character builds.

I need to find this item box I saw on the loading screen soon. My inventory is starting to remind me of Mass Effect 1 at the minute.

EDIT: Undead Parish Chapel spoilers:

I freed a knight locked in a cell in the Undead Parish Chapel. I have a nasty feeling he may turn out to be this games verion of Yurt from Demons Souls...

Right I feel like I am missing something or set a foot wrong. I have had this for a week now but I am only 3 hours in because of work and the Battlefield beta. After getting to the first real area I took the steps up. After the next fire I cant seem to progress. I can battle all the normal mans but then I come to a bit where my only choices seem to be to head down a tunnel with a super hard bastard at the entrance wiho I cant really damage or keep going up steps until I get locked in a boss battle with some huge crazy fucker on some battlements. Im only level 6 and just getting near either of these cats is using like 3 este. Any hints?

Go for the boss on the battlements.

Depending on your character build, either use ranged attacks on him or get in close with a couple of hits then roll away quickly. Take out the snipers on the roof as soon as you enter the area by climbing the ladder to your right.

Favourite armour so far has to be this get up. Stats aren't that great and I'm rolling around like a tank, but it's how cool you look that really matters, right?

post-6566-059705200 1318217626_thumb.jpg

Looks like Lady Gaga

I'vd just got the Drake Sword, any idea what strength I need to wield it single handed?

Taurus demon, eh? Go in, head up the ladder behind you to kill the snipers, jump down on him with a plunge attack. Do one more and he'll be a swipe or two from death.

Played through the prologue/tutorial bit yesterday, and it feels really good. Some of the stories above fill me with dread (especially the 'roadblock-run-3-minutes-get-killed-in-3-seconds'-stuff) though. It's amazingly atmospheric and intense and lovely to explore, I just hope I can bring up the patience to persevere when it really gets tough. Often I tend to give up if I feel I can't get past a certain difficulty spike, and those seem to be generously spread across this game.

So far it's very doable, but then I'm only just set loose in the game proper. Creamed myself when I completed the first bit and the 'transportation method' was unveiled - I had seen it in a trailer already but it still came as a surprise when it happened. Beautiful.

Question about enhancing weapons and the Bandit class:

is it worth me upgrading the battle axe? I've just got the halberd, but it looks like a two handed weapon, not a shield and wield kind of thing. I'm not sure how often the game will throw axe-like upgrades at me so I don't want to wast Titanite.

Finally killed the armoured knight in Undead Burg. Firebombs :wub:

Is there any point in actually killing him? I know there's a ring behind him but you can get that from the other side easily enough, does he drop anything himself? The three times I've attempted him he's run me right through, one time the bastard chased me right back to the bonfire and I rested assuming it'd reset him but he was still there and killed me as soon as I got up :lol: I notice there's another one up a tower at the start of the Parish, saw as far as his feet, saw no item, snuck back down the stairs. Best way at L14 or so, I'd guess.