IGNORED

Dark Souls - Prepare To Die... You Died.

The Sarge

Run past the dragon on the bridge (just heal in the alcove half way along). Then he flies away and there's a bonfire RIGHT THERE.

THIS FUCKING GAME! :)

Are we "supposed" to let him get away? Is he unkillable at this point?

Edit: "let" him get away, I say. As though I don't turn into a quivering pile of soon to be melted jelly as soon as I see the bastard.

I'm always so tempted to try and kill the merchants/NPCs, especially when there are messages on the floor saying things like "Try backstabbing".

Well, since you put it so invitingly. Don't mind if I do...

Except I don't want to screw things up for myself. The guy at Firelink Shrine is just begging for a backstab, though...

Am I the only one who doesn’t have clue what’s going on in this game?

• Who am I?
  • Why am I dead?
  • What’s my quest? Be reborn? Take revenge?
  • Is there a map?

I don’t find a bit of fumbling in the dark if I know things are going to be explained during the course of the game. But so far all I’ve got are bits of cryptic dialogue and some vague signposting as to where I should head next.

I tried to take him down with a prodigious amount of arrows, he seems to do a strange preening animation and heal whenever he's below a certain level of health, so I think he's unkillable, yeah.

Edit: "let" him get away, I say. As though I don't turn into a quivering pile of soon to be melted jelly as soon as I see the bastard.

I think/hope he comes back after you quit the game, but before then you can wander out and grab the couple of bits of loot. Liberal use of "just" in getting to that bonfire as well, I arsed it up a couple of times before managing the most fearful sprint of my life!

One thing I meant to ask, I skipped past some dialogue at the

Sun knight on the balcony before the bridge where the Dragon is. He's asking me what I thought of his proposition.

What is it?

Wasn't it just about him giving you the white marker? The way he says it it's as if he's going to come and help you out, which is the proposition. I think.

does the big knight at the top of the tower above the red dragon drop anything decent? he managed to fall off and die on his own and it doesn't like like he'll respawn.

I knobbled him just last night and he didn't drop anything. Although I think I heard that there's a rare chance of some awesome sword, but I'm not sure if it's him. Even if that is the case, it's super-rare apparently so you've not really missed out.

Which get's me thinking. I really like how the game does all the saving for you because otherwise I'd ruin the game (and my enjoyment) by saving and reloading, repeatedly retrying stuff to do things perfectly. The permanent, unalterable consequences is great for fools like me that just need to let shit roll.

• Is there a map?

No idea on the story front, but I'm not really worrying about it for some reason. Well, it's probably I'm too preoccupied with not dying :) I kind of like the idea of mysterious Wanderer with no story, just surviving. I'd kill for a map though, for something with so many nooks, crannies, shortcuts and various different ways to go. I'm not saying completely signpost everything, but a bit of an area overview wouldn't go amiss - it'll be the first thing I look at (for areas I've been through) when the guide turns up.

This is the first game I've played in years, where I've felt genuine adrenalin while battling for my "life" ("Oh fuck, he's gonna kill me..shit, shit, but my souls are just over there! Fuuuck...panic...lunge!") and real relief when I kill some big fucker (or even a small fucker with a spear and a shield).

I'm a 30-something gamer who's a bit jaded with games in general ("I just wanna play NHL with my mates, and get some retro stuff on the PC...I don't like control pads, I'll never learn them..."), but this game is like a re-discovery of gaming. First game I've sat up till birds-are-awake-o'clock three nights in a row, for. And it's a real testament to the game that someone flaky like me can spend 7 hours getting his arse kicked up and down Undead Burg and still shout for joy when he cheesily snipes the first Black Knight from a rooftop (21 HP per arrow, one at a time, waiting for him to "lose" me and walk back to his start position).

Rambling post, but, hey, it's a Dark Souls post, it shouldn't be easy for you to read. There'll be a shortcut to the end of the post though, and a bonfire. You might even be able to level up in your "reading waffle" ability, now.

Hehehe: "I'm getting a bit fed up with games. I know, I'll try this rock-hard, unforgiving bitch-master of a game I've read about on the muk. OMG, it's AMAZING."

Barrels and boxes: No. They sometimes hide entrances or shinies behind them, but never in them.

This was true in Demon Souls, but my mate at work said he found a

Crystal Lizard inside a box next to the Taurus Demon.

Unless he is wrong?

Also, a fair bit later on

rats hide inside box and ambush you.

This was true in Demon Souls, but my mate at work said he found a

Crystal Lizard inside a box next to the Taurus Demon.

Unless he is wrong?

Also, a fair bit later on

rats hide inside box and ambush you.

The first one is definitely true, as I experienced that one myself.

This is the best Discussion thread since Resi 4, love cathing up on this after a few hours of posts.

Tonight I slay some gargoyles. Tried to summon for the first time yesterday to help me out with them - got to the fog door, used Humanity, put down summon mark. After about 30 seconds it finally dawns what I'd done, laughed at myself, went through and got pure pumped. Video games.

Tonight I slay some gargoyles. Tried to summon for the first time yesterday to help me out with them - got to the fog door, used Humanity, put down summon mark. After about 30 seconds it finally dawns what I'd done, laughed at myself, went through and got pure pumped. Video games.

WHAT HAD YOU DONE?! I have spent considerably more than 30 seconds pondering this, and it's already doing my nut.

I feel my character is 'coming together', if you know what i mean. I haven't levelled up in ages, just been spending all my souls on upgrading my weapons and armour. Any good Demons player will tell you; decent gear is way more important than stat boosting.

Currently rocking:

Halberd +10

Longbow +10

Hollow Soldier Shield +5

Lightning Spear +3

Divine Winged Spear +3

Black Knight Sword +2

I'm kinda disappointed with the Knight Sword, cause i boosted my Strength & Dex just to wield it, only to find you can't buff it, which is a pisser. <_<

I was wearing full Chainmail (for purely aesthetic reasons - all the female armour is clunky and un-ladylike), but after switching to Hollow Thief's Outfit for 25% mobility while navigating Sen's Fortress, i don't think i can go back - full speed makes so much difference.

Only decision, is where to go next? :sherlock:

WHAT HAD YOU DONE?! I have spent considerably more than 30 seconds pondering this, and it's already doing my nut.

Ha! As I understand it you have to be unhollowed to summon which is what I was trying to do by using Humanity, but you can only do this at a bonfire, not wherever it suits you.

I knobbled him just last night and he didn't drop anything. Although I think I heard that there's a rare chance of some awesome sword, but I'm not sure if it's him. Even if that is the case, it's super-rare apparently so you've not really missed out.

I've literally just killed the guy. He dropped a Black Knight Greatsword, whose stats are superior to the Drake Sword. You just need to have Level 32 Strength AND Dexterity to wield it. :blink:

EDIT: Is there any other way to boost your stats outside of levelling up?

No idea on the story front, but I'm not really worrying about it for some reason. Well, it's probably I'm too preoccupied with not dying :) I kind of like the idea of mysterious Wanderer with no story, just surviving. I'd kill for a map though, for something with so many nooks, crannies, shortcuts and various different ways to go. I'm not saying completely signpost everything, but a bit of an area overview wouldn't go amiss - it'll be the first thing I look at (for areas I've been through) when the guide turns up.

I have the download code that came with the ltd edition for the guide. Has anyone downloaded it yet?

Ha! As I understand it you have to be unhollowed to summon which is what I was trying to do by using Humanity, but you can only do this at a bonfire, not wherever it suits you.

Aha, so it lets you put down a marker even though you're not human and so it won't actually do anything? That seems pointlessly annoying, but perhaps not unsurprising given the game...

So aside from not being able to summon people, is there really any downside to being hollowed? Cause for the life of me i cant really find one. I never was one for invaders in DS, so im content to play away hollowed and not get invaded.

The item drop rate is much, much higher when you're Unhollowed, going up incrementally for each point of Humanity you're carrying around with you. At 30 Humanity., the item drop rate is at its highest, although at that point you're probably too shit scared to even move in case you lose 30 Humanity points...

Is there any real benefit from upgrading the shields? Doing my old Demons Souls trick of heater shield and leather armour and all it seems to do on that is up stability. It blocks 100% melee damage, what more do I need? Also that leather armour is so, so good for the weight. Definitely going to be upgrading that a bit. As getting anything normal to +5 only takes the stones you can buy there is no reason to leave anything you like at +0. Although I'm half expecting the game to now prove me wrong multiple times now.

I didn't mention what I did after finding the bonfire after the blacksmith...

Oh god, lighting beast thi..oh wait, he can get caught on scenery and not throw his bolts through it [grabs arrows]. Now I go into a bit similar to where the Hydra was, and trees, oh god the tre...oh wait they aren't actually that tough. Jumping Drake sword attack murders them in one shot. This is going pretty well. I'll just go into this small room and pick up this it...AARRAAGGHHH FUCKING TREES EVERYWHERE!

THIS FU...well you get the idea.

I have the download code that came with the ltd edition for the guide. Has anyone downloaded it yet?

I didn't get the ltd edition or a code but I was able to download the guide from the site anyway. Well secure. Anyway, all that gives you is a 40-odd page section of the content of the main hardback guide, covering the enemies and areas up to the Undead Burg. And it doesn't indicate that there's a second bonfire in the Burg either on the map of it, I only found that because I wanted the loot!

The item drop rate is much, much higher when you're Unhollowed, going up incrementally for each point of Humanity you're carrying around with you. At 30 Humanity., the item drop rate is at its highest, although at that point you're probably too shit scared to even move in case you lose 30 Humanity points...

:lol:

I noticed last night my item drops had gone through the roof after getting the great sword. Like every enemy i killed was dropping stuff, i was getting crossbows, battle axes, firebombs, the works. I was hollow at the time tho, wonder if the drake sword has any effect on drops?