IGNORED

Dark Souls - Prepare To Die... You Died.

The Sarge

You know you could have always just...

Run past the dragon on the bridge (just heal in the alcove half way along). Then he flies away and there's a bonfire RIGHT THERE.

Cheers for that, I just did it. I'd pretty much done everything in Undead Burg and had no idea there was a bonfire there.

Right, this came the other day.

I played Demons Souls and got to the last boss with relative ease (read: fucking rage and tourettes), so I was under no illusions about the difficulty of this game.

So I played about 2 hours, and then had to start again. Why, you ask? Well in the Firelink shrine I

attacked the fucking NPC crestfallen warrior and then he wouldn't stop attacking me.

Lol, should have known better really.

Am now using a Knight character, and am in the Undead Burg, just before the boss. He nailed me a couple of times last night but I wasn't really paying 100% attention to the game (had guests comng over so had to rush). Will try him again tonight.

What I find really annoying though is that I'm literally not wearing any armour because I can't roll properly with it. I've got boots, gauntlets and a helmet on, and most enemies are absolutrely raping me. I'm doing a pretty decent job of avoiding getting hit with my longsword/kite shield combo, but anything firebased is seriously fucking my shit up.

Spent a fair chunk of Demon Souls without armour on too because rolling is just so much more useful. Anyway, hope to make some progress tonight. I'm sure I'll be back to rage and shout later.

Cheers guys, good to be on board.

Guess you missed initial chatter. The knight is rough until you find lighter armor because he starts fully decked. Most people who choose him unequip pieces of the armor until he can move effectiviely. honestly though in the beginnings of this game your armor doesnt matter until you get a ways in cause most enemies kill you in a couple of hits with or without armor.

So aside from not being able to summon people, is there really any downside to being hollowed? Cause for the life of me i cant really find one. I never was one for invaders in DS, so im content to play away hollowed and not get invaded.

Apparently your stats are a bit lowered. I havent noticed but thats what the community is saying. Maybe your resistances are higher?

:lol:

I noticed last night my item drops had gone through the roof after getting the great sword. Like every enemy i killed was dropping stuff, i was getting crossbows, battle axes, firebombs, the works. I was hollow at the time tho, wonder if the drake sword has any effect on drops?

No I think its random luck after a while. after running back and forth bet darkroot and firelink, in one run I got almost all the Balding Armor pieces. Wait till you find the ring that increases item discovery. That plus having humanity. Then youll see a real difference...

Right, I've got a couple of those plussy-upgradey stones and I'm at the Parish. I've just switched to a (basic) spear that I like and makes me realise how bloody slow the mace I was using is, I only switched to that because I wasn't feeling the starting scimitar. Anyway, does making a weapon +5 just mean it hits harder, or does it affect speed or anything? I've also got the shield Curtis is using surprisingly (given it's an early one?) and he's got that at +5, what difference there?

I tried to do this last night, but I couldn't see the dragon when I was up there!

Karz was having the same problem. maybe beat a boss, visit a few new areas. maybe thats the trick. He totally didnt appear for me a couple of times as well but then he did. AND BOY DID I TAKE ADVANTAGE.

Oh yeah totally, i only found those shortcuts last night! The way the map is all linked together is genius

I just wish the way to open up short cuts to previous areas was signed posted a little. I know it's not really in keeping with the whole 'incredibly unforgiving' tone, but still, it's very annoying to go half an hour into a new area and lose all your souls, when the one door you didn't go through at the first juncture would have opened up a short cut back to an earlier bonfire in about 10 seconds. Now whenever I go through one of those white mist doors, I spend ages deliberating whether to go left or right at the first turning lol

I'm about 9 hours in now, and thinking I've probably fucked up. I've been putting all of my souls to use levelling up, and have just sort of been spreading the points around, and ploughing them into Dex (because that was high at the start, so I thought it'd be good to keep it up). Yeah, I have no idea what I'm doing. So I've not bought any spells or anything, and not managed to find any weapon better than the scmitar that I can actually wield correctly.

I read the thing above about the drake sword, but in order to use that I'd need another 5 strength points, which is about 30,000 souls. I'm level 25 and I haven't been out of Undead Parish yet.

I should just start again, shouldn't I?

Edit: I started as a thief, by the way. The only armour upgrade I've found so far is a crappy helmet thing.

I'm about 9 hours in now, and thinking I've probably fucked up. I've been putting all of my souls to use levelling up, and have just sort of been spreading the points around, and ploughing them into Dex (because that was high at the start, so I thought it'd be good to keep it up). Yeah, I have no idea what I'm doing. So I've not bought any spells or anything, and not managed to find any weapon better than the scmitar that I can actually wield correctly.

I read the thing above about the drake sword, but in order to use that I'd need another 5 strength points, which is about 30,000 souls. I'm level 25 and I haven't been out of Undead Parish yet.

I should just start again, shouldn't I?

Edit: I started as a thief, by the way. The only armour upgrade I've found so far is a crappy helmet thing.

Curtis mentioned spending souls on upgrading your current equipment rather than levelling up the character, try that as an alternative for now?

I like scimitar as it goes, the post slash evade roll is great ^_^

I must get in the habit of routinely smashing every single smashable object I come across...

There are two "landings" in the tower on the way up to the Taurus Demon, both of which are full of barrels. I smash the shit out of them every time I go past (because they're one of the few things that won't fight back, although, really, Dark Souls, you've missed a trick there...you could have killed me with flying splinters! Tut!)

...where was I? Oh yeah, the last time I smashed the barrels, a little white, glowing critter appeared in the debris, and started to leg it. I locked on and chased him around, slapping his arse with my sword. When he died, I got two different kinds of equipment modding titanite (which I am yet to use).

Will those things appear randomly from any smashed barrels/tables/bookcases/etc? Or are they limited to random appearances in certain places?

(Am second-guessing myself now, that maybe, just maybe the barrel he was in was the only one I hadn't smashed on previous visits to that tower...naaaah, I may suck at fighting hollowed men, but no barrel lives for long when I'm near).

I was a Hollowed Gamer until I consumed Dark Souls :)

Started on this today. Yep this is Demon Souls basically but bigger and better. Made my way through a few of the locations and taken out a few bosses. It's kicking my ass but I'm loving every moment of it. :D

I did laugh at one enemy who I was circle strafing and opens his arms in a 'come at me bro' way and then proceeded to skewer me with his spear :lol:

Right now I'm just at the Undead Parish and trying to make my way through that. I went up a set of stairs and came across a really powerful knight.

'Oh shi....'

'The fuck you want ? *SLASH*'

DIES

'LOL, come back later punk'

I can't believe there's a jump action!

I plunged to my death on few occasions bagging that ring under the arches leading to the Undead Burg and trying to work out a way back.

I initially took a leapplummet of faith to the left of the stairs and landed safely, collected the ring and then spent 10mins trying to work out how to get back, couldn't see a ladder despite twisting the camera every which way and when, but another controlled fall to the right of the corpse to some ground hugging the wall seemed doable. YOU DIED. Great. Went back, retrieved my souls then took a sprint towards the ledge near the Undead Knight. Plummeted to death. In the end I used that item which return you back to the last bonfire you rested at.

This.

Game.

Will those things appear randomly from any smashed barrels/tables/bookcases/etc? Or are they limited to random appearances in certain places?

If it's like it's predecessor, there are set appearance points for those lizards but it's entirely random whether they appear or not. Additionally, if it keeps to the same formula, there's only a set number of those beasties. So say, if you kill 5 of them in the tower and no more appear, then 5 is the limit for that playthrough....until new game+.

That's if it stays the same of course.

Bloody hell! Darkroot Garden/Basin is HUGE! After killing the Hydra i went up the ladder, and there's so much more round the back.

Those

Big-Gobbed Cats are vicious! Not 100 yards from them are the cutest little Mushrooms. The baby ones go crying to Momma when you smack 'em. lol! Adorable.

How the level designers made it all connect boggles my mind. Every area feels so unique, and yet the whole thing ties together beautifully. :wub:

... it's very annoying to go half an hour into a new area and lose all your souls, when the one door you didn't go through at the first juncture would have opened up a short cut back to an earlier bonfire in about 10 seconds.

But that's the beating heart of Dark/Demon Souls. To experience the highs, we have to give you the lows. You enjoy the successes/luck so much more because the failures/misfortune hurt so bad. I've never experienced 'elation' in a game to the same extent as I have in this.

I normally play my games displaying nothing but a cold emotionless face as the process zombiefies me into performing my slave duties of progression. This thing has me emoting (to an empty room) on a regular basis.

Finally beat the boss at the top of

Sen's Fortress, only be eaten to death in one bite by a super-powerful fake chest in Anor Londo.

I switched off the PS3 and, with my brow in a trembling hand, said aloud, 'It's only a game. It's only a game. It's only a game.' Then about five minutes later I switched it back on. Ha.

But that's the beating heart of Dark/Demon Souls. To experience the highs, we have to give you the lows. You enjoy the successes/luck so much more because the failures/misfortune hurt so bad. I've never experienced 'elation' in a game to the same extent as I have in this.

I normally play my games displaying nothing but a cold emotionless face as the process zombiefies me into performing my slave duties of progression. This thing has me emoting (to an empty room) on a regular basis.

Oh yeah definitely, the pay-off is massive, and only because of the frustration lol

Right now though I'd argue that my greatest enemy in the game is the crossroads rather than any dragon :P

Gonna play this for the first time since Capra Demon repeatedly raped me last night. I'm getting the feeling my gear isn't up to snuff. My main weapon is a longsword+2, my shield is the heater shield and I'm wearing leather armour. Whenever I try to fight things like the giants in the forest or the massive black knights I just do next to no damage. It's not like they even kill me, I just get bored knowing the fight would probably take half an hour and run off.

The thing is, I'm not seeing much better stuff in shops or in the environment. I could go back and get the Drake Sword I suppose. I have a soul that says I can use it to make a unique weapon but I have no idea where I can use it. I gave something to the blacksmith which should let me do something special to my weapons but apparently I have nothing to use it with yet. Dark Souls you impenetrable swine.