IGNORED

Dark Souls - Prepare To Die... You Died.

The Sarge

Never has the severity of a video game been so aptly represented than in the in-game act of stripping down to your pants to leg it past a fire-breathing dragon.

Although how taking your plate mail off and stuffing it down your pants helps you run faster, I don't know.

Surely that'd chafe?

urgh, what's going on with this boss in the New Londo Ruins?

I'm barely scratching them and the area you fight them in is fucking awful, meaning it's hard to tell when you're in range. The bosses in this game are a big step back from demon souls so far

Finally beat the boss at the top of

Sen's Fortress, only be eaten to death in one bite by a super-powerful fake chest in Anor Londo.

I switched off the PS3 and, with my brow in a trembling hand, said aloud, 'It's only a game. It's only a game. It's only a game.' Then about five minutes later I switched it back on. Ha.

Attack every chest before you open it from Sen's Fortress on.

If any game could force you to cram bits of sharp metal down your pants, it's this.

Exactly. Dark Souls makes me store fifteen looted short swords up up my butt, but, hey, I'm still having fun.

Dark Souls? Sore Arseholes, more like.

If it's like it's predecessor, there are set appearance points for those lizards but it's entirely random whether they appear or not. Additionally, if it keeps to the same formula, there's only a set number of those beasties. So say, if you kill 5 of them in the tower and no more appear, then 5 is the limit for that playthrough....until new game+.

That's if it stays the same of course.

It's NOT "entirely random" on Demon Soul's at all!

The rules were (from memory):

1. The first time you enter a level, you add to +1 lizard's 'lives'.
  2. Each boss you kill you add to +1 lizard's 'lives'.
  3. Once a lizard appears, it uses up a life, so it's recommended you catch it.
  4. If you can 'hear' the ringing sound of a lizard, it has appeared, so it's recommended you catch it.
  5. If the lizard escapes, you wander away from the appearance point after it's appeared, or is spawned in and you then go on to die, it's -1 on the lizard's 'lives'.

Hope that makes some sense...

EDIT: Updated to make it a little more readable...

The Continuing Adventures of Stony McHardface

IMAG0845.jpg

or to show a slightly more appropriate picture given the style of play I'm going with,

IMAG0848.jpg

The blade being the Raw Butcher's Knife +5. It's not as good as I thought it'd be - scales to both Str and Dex, but you're far better off going down another upgrade path for a weapon you really want to stick with. On the other hand, it's a whacking great butcher's knife, so it's hard to stay mad with it).

Tower Shield bought from Sen's Fortress, and that full suit of Stone Armour. To add to the ridiculousness, I found and am currently sporting a ring that boosts physical defence. :lol:

Did a little experiment with item drops earlier as well - ran through the short sewer section, killing six slimes and 8 or 9 rats each time wearing the ring that boosts item discovery, then heading back to a bonfire to respawn them. Results were fairly interesting - well, interesting to me at least - in that the rats simply wouldn't drop any Humanity if I was running around in Unhollowed form with more than two humanity points on me. Similarly, the higher my humanity, the more likely the slimes would drop large regular titanite shards instead of small green titanite shards.

Loot chat.

I just came across the enemy

beneath the blacksmith in the Undead Parish

What the FUCK was that :lol:

Don't know... :ph34r:

I never managed to see it. Only went "oh shit" and back-peddled while giving me the idea I awakened Cthulhu or something...

Haha this game is so perfectly balanced. Spent all afternoon getting raped by the two gargoyles, had a rage fit, and thought fuck it one more try. On which I beat it. Unbelievable. The online feels a bit lonely though, Iv not been summoned or invaded at all yet :(. Soul Rank 24, and just got to the forest beneath the undead area. Loving it.

Bah, 30,000 souls down the drain — or a well, to be specific — all because of one lousy skeleton wheel. I've also come across the spiritual/demonic successor to the mini-Phalanx.

It would be really easy to miss the area I'm in now, so I'll spoiler it for the curious:

I'm in a painting. You can't even gain access unless you have a certain item found upon returning to the Asylum, itself rather tucked away.

Sen's Fortress is now my favourite area between both games, brilliant design and enemies. I cleared it and managed to find a.. (only read if you've killed the boss in Sen's Fortress)

Lightning Spear, which I promptly upgraded to a Lightning Spear +4 which absolutely destroys everything ^_^ And what happens after that boss was truly :o Holy shit at where I'm standing right now.

so where is the guy that'll sell you soul arrow then? there was meant to be a bloke in the first area but damned if I can find him

Strange, I've just done that! At the Firelink bonfire head down, down the lift and down the stairway on the right hand side. Chap in a jail cell. My problem is I've got the magic stick, I've got a soul arrow but how the hell do I use it?! I can equip the stick, but where the hell do you put the magic, and how?

Strange, I've just done that! At the Firelink bonfire head down, down the lift and down the stairway on the right hand side. Chap in a jail cell. My problem is I've got the magic stick, I've got a soul arrow but how the hell do I use it?! I can equip the stick, but where the hell do you put the magic, and how?

If you go to a bonfire, you should have the option "Attune Magic". If you go there, it'll allow you to add magic to however many attunement slots you have if they'll fit and providing you meet the stat requirments of faith or intelligence.

Many thanks to Mr. Jeff - me and my Divine Winged Spear +5 made relatively short work of the Catacombs, up to and including clearing the boss.

...who hands over the Rite of Kindling! 15 Estus Flasks a time, yes please.

The downside is, I'm now in the Tomb of the Giants, with absolutely no idea how to get back up to the suface... figure I'll keep heading down until I emerge out the other side.

Also, Patches the Graverobber v2.0 can FUCK RIGHT OFF.

If you go to a bonfire, you should have the option "Attune Magic". If you go there, it'll allow you to add magic to however many attunement slots you have if they'll fit and providing you meet the stat requirments of faith or intelligence.

How obvious <_< Why the chuffing fuck doesn't it mention that anywhere! It doesn't, right :unsure:

Anyway, I'm now a bit more confident having gone back to Firelink - which was easy, how the hell did it take me so long to get to the end of Undead Burg - to upgrade to a plus 2 spear and a bit of magic. I'm going to die within seconds now I have my new found confidence, without doubt!

About seven hours in and am just about to head up to the top of the

Undead Chapel to have a second crack at the gargoyles. I almost had them the first time but got a bit over zealous with the scimitar and took one too many bonks on the head. In some ways I'm dreading the weaker (ha!) undead chaps before the boss as when they swarm around you they're an absolute fucking menace.

Never have I played a game where I fear the small stuff as much as the boss fights. Thanks for encouraging me to pick it up, thread!

Sen's Fortress is now my favourite area between both games, brilliant design and enemies. I cleared it and managed to find a.. (only read if you've killed the boss in Sen's Fortress)

Lightning Spear, which I promptly upgraded to a Lightning Spear +4 which absolutely destroys everything ^_^ And what happens after that boss was truly :o Holy shit at where I'm standing right now.

I've been using that weapon for most of the game. Can't remember where I found it but it was a long time before the part you mention. It beats every other weapon I've managed to find so far. I keep going back to it.