Dark Souls - Prepare To Die... You Died.

The Sarge

Stuck on them bloody gargoyles at the minute. They are just caning me and it's a mixture of tiredness (when you can't concentrate properly this game canes you for it) and not getting the timings down right. Think I'll do a bit of grinding for souls for firebombs. I am a pyromancer but 8 is not enough for taking those things out at a distance.

Anor Londo is GOD.

It's brilliant, but parts of it are just brutal. I mean, you guys who were complaining about Capra? Just wait. There's one particular section where

you have to run up these tiny, narrow strips of rooftop while two mega-knights fire homing-missiles at you from either side. It's so unbelieveably difficult I honestly don't know how I'm going to get past it.

Phew! I just cleared out Blighttown, swamps an' all. I then navigated the rickety village backwards! lol! That made my brain hurt. Loved every minute! Something about that place. It was certainly more enjoyable than the first run, when i just wanted it over and done with. Shame about the framerate, but hey-ho, can't have everything in life.

Had a little sniff down the

Deep Hollows. But navigating those skinny walkways/tree branches is best left for another time. I can see many a slip followed by a "TWAT!".

*Edit* Have you guys seen the size of the Great Club? :lol:

40 hours in and level 53. Im making good progress. Anor Londo is GOD.

Yep, tonight I did sen's fortress and anor londo, amazing bit of gaming. I think I wondered into a massive optional area too, I think a lot of people might miss it. Which is crazy really because it's soo big, I mean From Software have made a world so big that people are going to miss entire areas and not know about it, these are areas that would take up like 20% of a normal action game nowadays :o

It's brilliant, but parts of it are just brutal. I mean, you guys who were complaining about Capra? Just wait. There's one particular section where

you have to run up these tiny, narrow strips of rooftop while two mega-knights fire homing-missiles at you from either side. It's so unbelieveably difficult I honestly don't know how I'm going to get past it.

I just ran straight upto each one and killed them in a few hits on my very first try :lol: I read about these "bastard archers" before so I was wondering when they'd show up, then I realised after I killed them that it must have been those two people were talking about. It's funny how someone's hard part is anothers easy and vice versa.

just head for the right one. Run of course and block in the little corner. hell slash until he falls off.

Time for bed. I nearly beat them bloody gargoyles but a bit of sleep actually needed methinks :D

Question about humanity. Is there any way to farm for it ? I have none and wouldn't mind some more. It looks like they've changed how coop works in this. Would I be guessing in that you need to be 'human' in order to see the stones to summon people ?

I can't believe how big this game is. From the sounds of it the game sounds much bigger than Demon Souls from the number of areas you chaps talk about and I'm only doing the first bell of two near the start with 12 hours on the clock :lol:

Time for bed. I nearly beat them bloody gargoyles but a bit of sleep actually needed methinks :D

Question about humanity. Is there any way to farm for it ? I have none and wouldn't mind some more. It looks like they've changed how coop works in this. Would I be guessing in that you need to be 'human' in order to see the stones to summon people ?

I can't believe how big this game is. From the sounds of it the game sounds much bigger than Demon Souls from the number of areas you chaps talk about and I'm only doing the first bell of two near the start with 12 hours on the clock :lol:

Some creatures drop humanity, rats are quite good for it. You do need to be human to summon, but you can also be summoned while in human form (if you put your sign down while in human form you won't be able to see other summon signs)

Nrgh.

Several attempts at the Taurus Demon and I've got 4000 souls waiting in that dam stretch of area, so what do I do? Get inpatient back at the bonfire and take a mauling from the 1st enemy, a tactical backwards roll to move out of a killing blow and I fall off the ledge.

4000 souls up in smoke.

FUCK YOU GAME!

Nrgh.

Several attempts at the Taurus Demon and I've got 4000 souls waiting in that dam stretch of area, so what do I do? Get inpatient back at the bonfire and take a mauling from the 1st enemy, a tactical backwards roll to move out of a killing blow and I fall off the ledge.

4000 souls up in smoke.

FUCK YOU GAME!

Exact same thing happened to me last night, it's really not worth worrying about, there's bound to be some great soul farming spots later.

I've been running around with a massive axe making myself vulnerable whenever I strike, just remembered that you can hide behind your shield with pokey weapons like spears. Definitely changing tactic tonight!

Nrgh.

4000 souls up in smoke.

FUCK YOU GAME!

Exact same thing happened to me last night, it's really not worth worrying about, there's bound to be some great soul farming spots later.

I've been running around with a massive axe making myself vulnerable whenever I strike, just remembered that you can hide behind your shield with pokey weapons like spears. Definitely changing tactic tonight!

From the campfire before the Taurus Demon down to the merchant (including the dudes in the alley behind the merchant) nets about 400 souls per run. It's one of the easier grinding areas near the beginning.

From the campfire before the Taurus Demon down to the merchant (including the dudes in the alley behind the merchant) nets about 400 souls per run. It's one of the easier grinding areas near the beginning.

Yeah, you've got a crossbowman and two or three standard sword zombies, then on the left by the flame lobbers you can entice a couple of axe guys, one sword 'n' shield chap and occasionally a flame chucker, after that the two spear guys by the merchant and mopping up whatever else is down there. Loadsa souls for the early traveller.

FUCK YES I BEAT THE CAPRA DEMON! On my first go tonight too. I spent a few hours farming souls and reinforced my sword and armour a bit, boosted my endurance and got a pretty nice ring which I think helped a lot too. I was a bit bummed I had nowhere near enough strength to use the drake sword but I didn't need it. I think the key was my increased stamina though. Before tonight it was impossible for me to block his jump attack; he would take off all my stamina and half of my health. This time his jump attack would take off about 90% of my stamina. A crucial difference.

The more I play, the more I think endurance is probably the most important stat to level up. It affects so much. I also wish I had known earlier that reinforcing weapons and armour will give you so much more power than just levelling up strength and resistance, for example.

Congratulations!

I got utterly wiped out by him about 6 times last night, maybe getting to the stairs twice but unable to heal and adjust to the relatively easy task of killing 2 dogs :( It seems his dual weapons reach the breadth of the small room so there is no respite. I think you are right about endurance - I'm also a thief but levelled strength up to use the drake sword, neglecting endurance somewhat. The drake sword can't be combined with fire or lightening and it can't be upgraded so it's a bit of a dead end. The only good thing about Capra is that he is a fairly easy straight run from Firelink, unlike the gargoyles which need a bit of drawing out first. Couldn't get past them either but at least there was a fight rather than an instant annialation.

Maybe I should wait until I am human and try to summon - how does this work exactly? I see a white sign, press A and see a ghost - usually a pretty bad ass ghost. Then nothing seems to happen - should the figure go solid? Is the problem that loads of players are competing to summon these helpers? What happens if I succeed - can I follow him in and let him take the brunt of the Capra attack? How do we communicate?

I found the winged spear so I think I will focus on upgrading that as principal weapon, putting points into endurance and buying heavy soul arrow.

In other news I beat my first black knight in the Burg rather cheesily - if you lure him out and climb the ladder up to the roof where the firebombers are based he just mills about down below and is vulnerable to the jump attack. You can also cheese off the nearby sniper tower.

The only other interesting thing about last night was finding the back door into Blightown via a door unlockable with the thief key and some rather immobile baddies which could be picked off with the bow. The problem is there is a very large red glowing thing ahead..............

Some creatures drop humanity, rats are quite good for it. You do need to be human to summon, but you can also be summoned while in human form (if you put your sign down while in human form you won't be able to see other summon signs)

Thanks a lot :) A bit of backtracking needed me thinks!

It's amazing the way the game slowly makes you feel more powerful towards enemies as you progress. I don't mean in a 'they can't kill you way' as any enemy can fuck you up big style very quickly. More in a you slowly level up and upgrade your equipment so you can deal with them more effectively. A good example would be them bastard caped knights, they used to completely cane me and I'm terrible at parrying so it took me a while to take one day. With a Battle Axe +2 I just rush in there and take off the majority of their health before they even have a chance to look at me :D Great stuff. Very useful for farming souls too.

Congratulations!

I got utterly wiped out by him about 6 times last night, maybe getting to the stairs twice but unable to heal and adjust to the relatively easy task of killing 2 dogs :( It seems his dual weapons reach the breadth of the small room so there is no respite. I think you are right about endurance - I'm also a thief but levelled strength up to use the drake sword, neglecting endurance somewhat. The drake sword can't be combined with fire or lightening and it can't be upgraded so it's a bit of a dead end. The only good thing about Capra is that he is a fairly easy straight run from Firelink, unlike the gargoyles which need a bit of drawing out first. Couldn't get past them either but at least there was a fight rather than an instant annialation.

Drake sword can be upgraded, you just need 10K souls and a dragon scale!

How much does the game care about what you're attacking with? I killed a couple of skeletons in the graveyard with my spear last night but would I have been better going at them with a mace given they're full of holes to poke through or is that analysing it a bit much?

How much does the game care about what you're attacking with? I killed a couple of skeletons in the graveyard with my spear last night but would I have been better going at them with a mace given they're full of holes to poke through or is that analysing it a bit much?

The game takes this into account. Those skeletons go down a lot quicker with a Morning Star.

I meant to look this up in the mini guide last night but forgot- does anyone know what it means when the 'weapon attribute stats' (not the required stats, the ones that have like a grade in them where I think your stats are added to weapon damage as a bonus) are red? Does it mean that I'm suffering reduced damage because whilst I can wield the weapon, I can't wield it well?

Any.tips for that rank boss dragon in tombs??

Last night i offered my services as a phantom to help randomers, it was very satisfying iv never done it before. Helped a few people blitz the chapel and gargoyles :) iv hit a bit of a dead end, sl 24, just killed that creepy lightning thing by first black smiths, now everywhere is too hard :(

Knowing what type of weapon, and what type of attack to use on each specific enemy is exactly the whole point. ;)

Is the concept of summoning explained during the game? So far I haven't seen anything hinting at it, although the amount of ghostly players around has massively increased now that I'm in the Undead Burg proper. Do you get the objects needed somewhere down the line or is it a menu option I haven't found yet? I also haven't found the ability to leave or recommend messages.

Advice please.

Okay, I've done the Undead Burg, Undead Parish, rang the bell there and defeated the Capra Demon. Should I try the Catacombs or the Depths next? Or should I return to Darkroot Gardens where I got my ass kicked yesterday?

I don't like dark places. :(

Is the concept of summoning explained during the game? So far I haven't seen anything hinting at it, although the amount of ghostly players around has massively increased now that I'm in the Undead Burg proper. Do you get the objects needed somewhere down the line or is it a menu option I haven't found yet? I also haven't found the ability to leave or recommend messages.

Spoliers regarding both:

You can buy an item in the first merchant in Undead Burg.. (the stairs to which are hidden behind two skeletons with spears - only slightly tricky to get your timing right if you're melee, oh, and watch out for the surprise guy at the bottom of the stairs - can't remember the item name though, (it does explain what it's for though)

summoning:

From what I'm reading the MP is a bit hit and miss at the moment. I've had summon markers appear in my level but every time I've attempted to summon someone to my world, it's failed - Later in the game (post the Taraus Demon boss) you encounter a knight who gives you a stone which is similar to the message stone, but allows you to call for people to be summoned into your world. (again, not had it work for me yet though)