IGNORED

Dark Souls - Prepare To Die... You Died.

The Sarge

Guys, it's been nearly an hour since the last post in here. Is everybody ok?

This thread has been the only thing keeping me from bunking off work to play all week this week. Those two or three hours I get per night are just not enough.

Edit: Phew... thanks Dark Soldier. I was worried for a minute (hour) there.

:) I'm so with you on this. I would love to take a day off to play but no can do, thread is great though.

Woo! Just killed Capra demon. I say killed....

Summoned someone to help me after he nailed my ass about 10 times and I got fed up. :(

Don't know what you're so sad about. I summoned someone after getting my ass kicked once by that bloody thing. Take every opportunity you get the game gives you to help you because you'll be DP'd again soon enough.

Funny, I tried to summon someone for the Capra demon at exactly the same time you were on him and nobody had showed after 10 minutes. Maybe I'm doing it wrong.

Beat him anyway! :)

Then I did something daft! :(

I left the wee room, went down the stairs and climbed the tower rather than go into The Depths just now. From there I got to a sewer where I stabbed a raggedy zombie looking motherfucker through some bars who then started shouting at me so I assume he was an NPC I was meant to talk to. I'm such a racist. Am I going to regret this much? 50,000 souls is a massive ask to repair the damage if that's what the absolution option is for.

Funny, I tried to summon someone for the Capra demon at exactly the same time you were on him and nobody had showed after 10 minutes. Maybe I'm doing it wrong.

I left the wee room, went down the stairs and climbed the tower rather than go into The Depths just now. From there I got to a sewer where I stabbed a raggedy zombie looking motherfucker through some bars who then started shouting at me so I assume he was an NPC I was meant to talk to. I'm such a racist. Am I going to regret this much? 50,000 souls is a massive ask to repair the damage if that's what the absolution option is for.

After what I just went through, I'm glad

that person didn't die at my hand. Say no more.

Followed previous advice and have found myself in Undead Burg (a much nicer place all round after the other place with the ghosts)

Killed me a few swords persons, nearly shit myself when a Dragon landed and then flew off again on a bridge, found a crossbow (how do you fire these by the way) and then preceded to fall to my death three times due to being an idiot.

Really starting to get this now.

Argh no, please do. 50k souls is an immense amount to me at this point but if it's going to be a major obstacle later I'll do it.

Just so you know - it goes up and up and up every time you level up. I had to pay 114,000. Think it's another 2,000 each time you level. However, it wasn't too difficult to get that amount of souls together by that point in the game (level 57) so you're probably better off just ignoring it and pumping your souls into levelling - worry about it later, I say!

I did the same thing. :(

I'm in the Depths now, and I'm so lost it's not even funny. Found the bonfire but forgot to light it, so when I died it was FUCKING ANNOYING. Took me all the way back to firelink. Still, lessons learned!

Soooooo

I've been giving the Depths a go tonight.

Deciding that this was an exploring run, I jumped down the hole behind the first (I guess there are more!) butcher. Which was cool. I killed this massive rat and I got some loot. I also killed one of those evil wizard guys, who looked like he was in a sniping position for the room below, so that could be useful later.

But then I couldn't find a way out.

I was basically wandering around and checking for ladders when I guess I fell down a hole and landed on some frogs.

So yeah, I'm cursed with half health. It seems to me that pretty much any enemy in the areas I'm exploring now could off me merely by thinking about it. The game gleefully informed me that I can either grind for souls to buy a ridiculously priced curse cure or get myself to some clinic in a far-off and thus-far undiscovered location.

So far, so Dark Souls.

My question to you, the forum, is: are there actually any benefits to being cursed? Is there something I want to do now, before I stump up the souls for a cure, rather than HAVE to get cursed later to do something.

Just covering the bases!

Soooooo

I've been giving the Depths a go tonight.

Deciding that this was an exploring run, I jumped down the hole behind the first (I guess there are more!) butcher. Which was cool. I killed this massive rat and I got some loot. I also killed one of those evil wizard guys, who looked like he was in a sniping position for the room below, so that could be useful later.

But then I couldn't find a way out.

I was basically wandering around and checking for ladders when I guess I fell down a hole and landed on some frogs.

So yeah, I'm cursed with half health. It seems to me that pretty much any enemy in the areas I'm exploring now could off me merely by thinking about it. The game gleefully informed me that I can either grind for souls to buy a ridiculously priced curse cure or get myself to some clinic in a far-off and thus-far undiscovered location.

So far, so Dark Souls.

My question to you, the forum, is: are there actually any benefits to being cursed? Is there something I want to do now, before I stump up the souls for a cure, rather than HAVE to get cursed later to do something.

Just covering the bases!

If you've been down to New Londo Ruins, you might've discovered you couldn't attack the ghosts there. You can only attack them while you're cursed, or if you use transient curse items (which you can buy). I wouldn't bother going out of your way to do that section just because you're cursed though. Haven't done it myself yet but I don't think it's a walk in the park, especially with half health.

Just so you know - it goes up and up and up every time you level up. I had to pay 114,000. Think it's another 2,000 each time you level. However, it wasn't too difficult to get that amount of souls together by that point in the game (level 57) so you're probably better off just ignoring it and pumping your souls into levelling - worry about it later, I say!

Aye I think I might just do this. Or at least see how far I can go with what I have and maybe the odd weapon upgrade.

It was your post from earlier that made me realise you could actually rectify these situations or I'd really have shat it, I remember thinking "That sounds pretty harsh!" - and it is, as is only fitting for this game.

This game.

If you've been down to New Londo Ruins, you might've discovered you couldn't attack the ghosts there. You can only attack them while you're cursed, or if you use transient curse items (which you can buy). I wouldn't bother going out of your way to do that section just because you're cursed though. Haven't done it myself yet but I don't think it's a walk in the park, especially with half health.

That was exactly what I was thinking of :D

I'm looking forward to going back there and dishing out some justice for the warm welcome they gave me to the game.

Just not yet. Probably.

Also I bought a spell that

enhances swords with magic.

Only to discover that

it doesn't work with the Drake Sword.

:facepalm:

All-in-all, I having a bit of a 'mare tonight.

Did the same thing. Was making my way back to Fireshrine, low on health so a bit edgy, stepped around the corner and saw him for a split second. *bam*

:(

Absolutely loving this though, as someone who never played Demon Souls, this is just so brilliant. I can't stop thinking about it, even when I turn it off for the night. Certainly the best game I've played so far this year, and it's slowly rising up through my favourite games ever the more I play it. So glad I took a chance and ordered it. :D

Do the amount of souls you get from enemies increase as you level up? I'm definitely getting more souls from the enemies right at the beginning of firelight than I used to. I now get 36 from the very first enemy, I'm sure it only used to be 10 or 20.

Mainly spent tonight mopping up some loose ends, killing enemies and knights I avoided before. I'm at Level 23 and have been fairly non-committal in my leveling up but I'm starting to lean heavily towards magic over my pyromancy. I have 3 slots with fireball, soul arrow and heavy soul arrow. Both soul arrows are weaker at the moment but I have far more of them in between bonfires, they're much longer range, and they're much quicker to fire.

Oh, I haven't touched faith at all, it's currently at 8. Is this likely to be an issue later on?

Just before you enter the circular tower that leads up to the Taurus Demon, there's some stone stairs with a gap in the side - is there anything to find down there? As far as I can tell you're stuck once you jump down - there's no way to get back onto the main path, and the only other possible route is an archway set into the wall a coupe of stories below - however, theres no ledge sticking out so you can't drop down onto it :(