Dark Souls - Prepare To Die... You Died.

The Sarge

Just before you enter the circular tower that leads up to the Taurus Demon, there's some stone stairs with a gap in the side - is there anything to find down there? As far as I can tell you're stuck once you jump down - there's no way to get back onto the main path, and the only other possible route is an archway set into the wall a coupe of stories below - however, theres no ledge sticking out so you can't drop down onto it :(

Someone found out how to get there I saw a message. But I have no clue!

You can easily get down there. You can easily get out of there, too, as long as you don't mind dying :P

Re: Faith. Low faith is only an issue if you're going to a faith based build or want to use the healing/protective miracles. You're not, so it is unlikely to be an issue at all and you can happily go on ignoring it.

Progress

Spent a few hours farming for my night in Undead Parish, upped my dex to use the bow and bagged the Drake Sword. Twatted the Capra Demon with it and entered the depths. Then killed the Pyromancer; I was only trying to help him. :(

Feel im soo far behind you guys and Ive stuck 23 hours into this already

So, today.

+ Capra Demon done

- stabbed an NPC I shouldn't have

- got myself cursed

Gah, being cursed is rubbish. That was my first visit to the Depths where I basically got lost and fell down a lot of holes, everyone does that, right? Need to go slower when I go back there.

Fuck sake, them fucking frogs. Now I'm cursed again, time to build up 3000 souls :lol:

Out of curiosity, obviously you have to go the main areas for the main quest but is every area covered in the main 'story' or are a lot of them just for fun and exploration ? Not that it really matters as I plan to scour every inch of the map but was just curious.

I have to say, I was really tempted by the guide but the fun of this game is the exploration and discovery so I decided not to. Plus it's really fun to just come on here and ask/answer questions too :)

It's always a tradeoff - do I go in fresh or do I prepare for maximum efficiency? Or a combination of both where I go in first to discover all I can and then use the guide to see if I've overlooked stuff?

I'm mainly interested in the various builds, weapons and spells so I can set a target of what to aim for in the character development. And unlocking as many shortcuts as I can.

I'm torn...

I've found a way I can 'farm' souls...about 8,000 at a time. Not a bug, but exploits the enemies' rubbish pathfinding.

Part of me thinks it could make things too easy, and potentially ruin the game...but the other part of me is shouting "OMG SOULS" :wacko:

Don't be torn. Use it. Any advantage to help yourself. It's in the game, you aren't cheating. Get levelling :D

Posted a minute behind Yas and a mirror of my evenings gameplay :))

o/ Hey, check us! We had pretty even runs, you killed an extra boss but I only wounded the guy who was trying to help me.

Curses, eh? Notable for being one of the very, very few occasions the game will give you any kind of advice on what you need to do to fix it, unfortunately this advice was to use an item I hadn't encountered or visit a guy in a place I don't know how to get to. Thanks for trying though, From :D Think I've got it sussed now but in searching the wiki it turns out that curses stack, so you could end up with 1/8 of a health bar. Fuck. That.

Hydra is a bitch, isn't it?

I thought that at first but

if you clear out the golems carefully and then stick to the left by the cliffside where the first golem was to stay out of sight, then once you reach the end, you dash like a crazy motherfucker. The water bolts when fired, should pass over your head. Once you're in melee range he stops but there's a drop in the water so be careful.

Edit: Forgot to mention, finally fucking killed the boss in Londo Ruins. Was getting pretty frustrated since it felt like my character was underlevelled to fight them but finally toasted the fuckers.

Only a few areas left now but at over 73 hours (with maybe 5 of those as idling) I'm getting my money's worth. ^_^

I'm torn...

I've found a way I can 'farm' souls...about 8,000 at a time. Not a bug, but exploits the enemies' rubbish pathfinding.

Part of me thinks it could make things too easy, and potentially ruin the game...but the other part of me is shouting "OMG SOULS" :wacko:

As the game goes out of its way to fuck you over, you'd be mad not to do the same in return.

This game hates you. It wants you dead. So if you can find a way to rape it, do it.

Don't be torn. Use it. Any advantage to help yourself. It's in the game, you aren't cheating. Get levelling :D

Also worth taking into consideration is the fact that a higher soul level really does mean very little when you start getting into some of the later areas of the game.

"You have 35 points in Vitality, you say? Well I have an enemy who sits on your face until you are dead. Your move."

I thought that at first but

if you clear out the golems carefully and then stick to the left by the cliffside where the first golem was to stay out of sight, then once you reach the end, you dash like a crazy motherfucker. The water bolts when fired, should pass over your head. Once you're in melee range he stops but there's a drop in the water so be careful.

Edit: Forgot to mention, finally fucking killed the boss in Londo Ruins. Was getting pretty frustrated since it felt like my character was underlevelled to fight them but finally toasted the fuckers.

Only a few areas left now but at over 73 hours (with maybe 5 of those as idling) I'm getting my money's worth. ^_^

Yeah, I clear the area out first,

and have no problems getting there - it's just once i'm there I keep falling off the bloody cliff in the water.

Been playign this for 7 hours straight so am putting it down to tiredness rather than me being a spaz or the game being broken...

Where's this 8000 souls a pop place, then? I'm pretty disgruntled I just lost 10k :(

Fuck sake, them fucking frogs. Now I'm cursed again, time to build up 3000 souls :lol:

Out of curiosity, obviously you have to go the main areas for the main quest but is every area covered in the main 'story' or are a lot of them just for fun and exploration ? Not that it really matters as I plan to scour every inch of the map but was just curious.

I have to say, I was really tempted by the guide but the fun of this game is the exploration and discovery so I decided not to. Plus it's really fun to just come on here and ask/answer questions too :)

Shit, sorry Mr Woo I negged you instead of giving you a +1 for this post, Ill make it up!

Hmm I killed a giant rat today but died before I picked up the loot and now it is gone. Did I miss out on anything nice?

Also I have not been trading in my souls of unamed soldiers etc as in the recesses of my mind I thought they were useful for something else in demon souls. Again should I be using them for souls?

My first attempt at the Hydra went like this:

I goaded the golems into dying by its water blasts, then when the coast was clear I moved in for the kill with my Rusty Iron Ring equipped for free movement.

After a few tumbles getting its attack pattern down I started lopping off heads, and after a few minutes it was down to one. Due to the curl of its attack I couldn't quite reach the last head in time, so I took my scimitar in both hands and ran forward to cut it off at the stem. Falling straight into a watery abyss. :facepalm:

As for the game hating you, I don't think that's really true. It's more like a parent trying to teach a stroppy child something, very matter-of-fact.

Hmm I killed a giant rat today but died before I picked up the loot and now it is gone. Did I miss out on anything nice?

Also I have not been trading in my souls of unamed soldiers etc as in the recesses of my mind I thought they were useful for something else in demon souls. Again should I be using them for souls?

Yes, rats drop huge manatees.

As they said, DoctorEgo, use every single trick in the book you can find to help yourself.

Im 100% positive stuff like that is either discovered but deliberately left in the game to give the player a respite in the relentless difficulty and fear of a first playthrough, or it was simply designed that way.

The Red Eyed Knight in Demons Souls was a complete bitch early in the game - but

clearing out the gate tower and luring him in to fall to his death

was a good way of grabbing a few hundred souls quickly and helped when that was a significant award.

Yeah, c'mon man! Share and share alike!

It's the new 4-2 reaper!

A note is you need to 20k key for a certain area to access it.

Actually, hang on a minute. Whatever happened to that thing where pyromancers were meant to get a spell which made other people's games harder by triggering more enemies? Did that get taken out?

I....didn't imagine that did I?

It's a covenant thing. Called Gravelord.

Yeah, c'mon man! Share and share alike!

Sorry - didn't post it before in case it was considered a game-breaker. Since that doesn't seem to be the case, and for all those who have reached Darkroot Gardens...

Head to Darkroot Gardens. Hopefully you've already got the crest door opened - otherwise, get that done, and come back!

Use the bonfire next to the door that requires the crest to open (the bonfire behind the illusory wall) - you'll be coming back here a lot. Head through the door, and down the little winding steps. Don't walk too far out yet - you don't want to aggro the bastards in the woods until you're ready. Now turn almost a full 180 degrees to your left, and walk towards the cliff-edge - see the little grassy ledge next to the built up area that the steps are built on? This is your safe zone, remember it. I've put a couple of messages nearby to guide people here, but not sure how many people will actually be able to see them in their game.

EDIT: Dodgy iPhone pic of safe zone:

post-324-050115200 1318458897_thumb.jpg

Now time to round up some souls! Turn back towards the woods, and run into them like a madman. Watch out for the stealthed chap - he can run very quickly and is fond of poisoned weapons and backstabbing. Also be aware of where the guy spewing soul arrows is standing, as one spell taken in the back might ruin your day. Once you have a merry little band of fans, run Benny Hill style back to your safe zone, turn towards the cliff edge, and block. Now wait, watch, and prepare your best evil laugh as the enemies run up the stairs, then straight towards you, sailing over your head, off the cliff edge, to their deaths*

If you get everyone near by you can get up to 8,000 souls each run, and the nearby bonfire makes it very quick to restart! Enjoy :)

*Very rarely, one of them won't quite sail off the edge, and will land next to you on your grassy ledge. When this happens, target them, keep blocking, and get yourself between them and the wall; their next attack or two should propel them backwards, and finish the job. VERY rarely, the caster will get an angle on you in your safe zone, though this is easily avoided by choosing your path back. If he has a bead on you, run towards him, dodge his spells, and take a new path back to the safe zone.

Just before you enter the circular tower that leads up to the Taurus Demon, there's some stone stairs with a gap in the side - is there anything to find down there? As far as I can tell you're stuck once you jump down - there's no way to get back onto the main path, and the only other possible route is an archway set into the wall a coupe of stories below - however, theres no ledge sticking out so you can't drop down onto it :(

That stone archway? There is indeed a ledge sticking out enough for you to land just in front of it.

As for my own progress, I'm currently creeping through the hideous maze of death that is Blighttown. I initially went in there with a friendly phantom who was leading me through until he left me on my lonesome smack bang in the middle of the place. He was cool though as he showed me a load of places with loot and killed some pretty nasty enemies with me in there.