IGNORED

Dark Souls - Prepare To Die... You Died.

The Sarge

[More capra advice]

Yeah, you need to kind of roll through the first attack because if you just try and run past him then you get hemmed in most times. Once you're past him you want to hope the dogs chase you up the stairs and finish them off (stabbing is better than slashing if you have the option because you won't risk your attack bouncing off the wall at your right) and then drink an estus if you need it, then start imagining that silent movie ragtime piano in your head as you proceed to jump on his head and attempt plunging attacks or whatever then running away off up the stairs again. Sometimes he'll follow you up there but be patient and just keep moving round in circles and making an attack when you see an opening.

[yet more Capra advice]

Everyone says to go for the stairs and take out the dogs. The problem I had was that no matter how I tried to dodge the first blow from Capra (block, roll or run), the first dog had plenty of time to get to me and pin me on something for Capra to deliver the coup de grace. Total time to death <10 seconds every time.

My problem was that I was taking the advice a bit too literally. If you head straight for the stairs by running around the left side of Capra, you go straight into pooch 1 as that's where he's coming from. Instead, I ran behind the pillars to his right (which also seemed to partially block the first blow), waited for the dog to come right around behind me, then legged it past Capra's exposed back to the stairs.

Once you get on the stairs it's no problem. It's the continual 5 second deaths that make it incredibly annoying.

Ta.

This along with a few armour upgrades and a zippy-ring saw me through (although my Wanderess decided to try and remove his last few bars by kicking them off). I'd say I'm moving again but I just got poisoned half way though the Depths and didn't quite make it to the bonfire which I knew was just around the corner thanks to an encouraging message. This game is hateful; I love it!

Gah, I am currently sucking big time at the Boss in Sen's Fortress, it looks perfectly do able I just keep doing stupid things.

Oh well, realised I have the more item drops ring from somehwere, so with that on ending up with loads of Titanite/Large titanite from the dudes around here so its not *that* annoying.

I am going to try and do some Blue Phantoming. Good area for a level 56? Not having much luck in front of the boss room in Anor Londo. :(

Try putting your sign down in the bonfire room off to the side, the one by the spiral staircases. I got a pretty steady stream of summons from there, plus it's a good place to grind souls whilst you wait.

Right I've gone and finished off that bitch Kellog so I could go off to Sens Fortress or go to a few others areas. I might give the main quest itself a wee rest for the night.

Any suggestions ? I'm thinking maybe Darkroot Garden/Basin or Demons Ruins or maybe the graveyard with the skeletons. Not sure yet. Might concentrate on farming/buying shards to upgrade a few weapons. Wouldn't mind making getting a few elemental weapons.

Hmm, choices choices. I'm currently level 31/32.

I've just done the catacombs which were actually fairly easy. Now, I'm honestly not sure if I'm meant to be going into the area after the boss right now. It's almost pitch black, with big drops, and massive skellingtons. I ended up falling and dying and I'm not sure I want to go back there since I respawned halfway through the catacombs again. But there was no other way out so... Should I cut my losses and go somewhere else? I have Sens Fortress and that place with the ghosts left. I could also go explore more of the forest near the hydra.

The only thing putting me off is that if I want to get back to the bit past the boss area then I basically have to beat the catacombs again since I couldnt find a shortcut around that area.

If you use a transient curse, does your health bar halve? I'm actually cursed right now and mooching about in New Londo wondering if I should bother uncursing myself until I've cleared that area, but if the transient curse item leaves you with a full health meter it might be worth it.

Try putting your sign down in the bonfire room off to the side, the one by the spiral staircases. I got a pretty steady stream of summons from there, plus it's a good place to grind souls whilst you wait.

Cool, thanks. I just want to please my Chaos Servant mistress by offering her humanity.... (in exchange for great chaos firestorm or whatever!)

Wow. Anor Londo seems pretty tough and im only a little way in. Those big brutes are nice and slow, but take a beating.

Made it into

The painted world of Ariamis

lovely change of scenery! Im starting to think i might need to do some soul farming and boost my STR a good bit. Im rolling a melee based Knight, but at the moment i dont seem to be doing too much damage.

Im lvl 40, and i can still barely put a fuckin scratch on the Drakes in Drake Valley <_<

Can I get a bit of help?

I'm kinda stuck - I've cleared out the depths and lower burg, killed the gaping dragon, killed the large butterfly, and now I'm led to the opening parts of Blighttown, but can't really get all that far before being poisened with toxin and dying a death. So I consider going back, I can get reasonably far through the catacombs, but dont know if I should keep going. I can also reach the Hydra, but cant even get close to it because it wipes me out in the water as wading through it slows me right down.

So, where do I go now?

any suggestions?

And something of note to newer people, I've found rats seem to drop humanity a lot more regularly than anything else so far...

My one massive complaint with Dark Souls is how some of the combat seems to be totally unpredictable. For example, I was just battling some rats and, for some reason I'm not sure of, my guy decided to strike then roll backwards and off the ledge I was on. That is one of the occasions I've died and it hasn't been my fault. The other occasions mostly involved being attacked when my guy decided to strike twice when I only hit R1 once.

I don't remember the controls being like that in Demons Souls.

Also what's with the waggle gestures on the PS3 version? There are images showing what to do with the controller but nothing happens.

Edit: and exactly the fucking same thing happened again.

Has anyone else noticed that very occasionally the controls just don't respond. Like I'll press RB to fire a soul arrow and the character responds 5 seconds later. Same with sword swings. It can leave you vulnerable at the most imopportune moments. Like I said, it happens rarely, but after nearly 40 hours of play it is something that's stood out to me.

Can I get a bit of help?

I'm kinda stuck - I've cleared out the depths and lower burg, killed the gaping dragon, killed the large butterfly, and now I'm led to the opening parts of Blighttown, but can't really get all that far before being poisened with toxin and dying a death. So I consider going back, I can get reasonably far through the catacombs, but dont know if I should keep going. I can also reach the Hydra, but cant even get close to it because it wipes me out in the water as wading through it slows me right down.

So, where do I go now?

any suggestions?

And something of note to newer people, I've found rats seem to drop humanity a lot more regularly than anything else so far...

stock up on moss from Darkroot and go do Blighttown, just get it over with. Those blow darts guys don't respawn, and the poison isn't even that damaging you'll need to chug maybe two flasks if waiting for it to wear off.

There is one item that miles going around the swamp in Blightown MILES easier

If you've gone back to the undead asylum, you would have probably picked up the rusty iron ring which allows you to move much faster when in water/liquid. Equip this when in the swamp and the grass crest shield if you have it to help regen stamina, and simply sprint about in the poison. Some poison resistant clothing might help too like the default pyro gear. I just sprinted around the entire swamp and picked everything up without needing to fight anything. I ocassionally stopped to cure and heal when the poison wore down about half my health

Has anyone else noticed that very occasionally the controls just don't respond. Like I'll press RB to fire a soul arrow and the character responds 5 seconds later. Same with sword swings. It can leave you vulnerable at the most imopportune moments. Like I said, it happens rarely, but after nearly 40 hours of play it is something that's stood out to me.

You're not running out of stamina? I've had a few times where I've pulled the trigger just as I've been clouted and the character responds once the stamina bar has filled back up a bit.

Yeah I've had the same thing happen too in terms of controls. The odd time I press a button and there's a delay and then it happens. No idea why.

Killed the moonlight butterfly and have reached the hydra and unlocked the shortcut from undead burg down to the hydra. Might try and get that rusty iron ring, sounds good for going fast in liquid.

Had the same thing with the controls, also at times it seems as if it will swing multiple times as if it's trying to catch up with my inputs.

I've read someone saying if you're cursed you can kill ghosts anyone know if that's the case? I've used the two outside New Londo Ruins and I accidentally attacked the wall next to the merchant that sells them, I don't fancy getting the 172k souls to absolve that sin.

Ok, so I have the official sexy hardback guide, read both the demon souls wiki's, a few message boards and I'm STILL not 100 percent clear about the rules regarding covenants. This is what I've picked up:

- You can join a covenant and as long as you have not broken it in any way, you can go up to come at me bro dude and leave it without sin (I did this already once with by leaving way of the white)

- You either lose all or half your progress (conflicting things I've read) if you've levelled up with a covenant, leave and them and come back

- You can get the achievement for joining for just being offered to join, do not have to join when offered

Er so what I'm unsure about is certain covenant's come with perks if you join them. Can you join them, get that perk (for eg a chaos fireball spell), not rank up/do anything else in the covenant, go to come to me bro dude in the gargoyle tower, ask to leave and still have the spell? Will you be able to rejoin it later and level up then? That shit is so confusing and it isn't exactly a game you can experiment with, one wrong step and I'll need to cough up 120k souls in stupid player tax :lol:

Can anyone shed any light?

You're not running out of stamina? I've had a few times where I've pulled the trigger just as I've been clouted and the character responds once the stamina bar has filled back up a bit.

No nothing to do with stamina or being hit by an enemy. Magic isn't dependent on stamina anyway. It almost seems like lag and I'm wondering if it has anything to do with the online side of things. The controls are fine 98% of the time but you can be locked onto an enemy, press attack to fire some magic for the first time and there's this 5-10 pause where I think the game just flat-out hasn't recognised it, then the character will finally fire. It's weird.

As well as that I do think the lock-on could be improved as its sticky and unreliable. And it doesn't always deal well with enemies on a different level to you e.g you can stand at the bottom of a slope, lock-on to an enemy at the top and the magic will occasionally be fired straight ahead into the slope, not up it. Again it's rare, but in a game where quantity of spells is limited between bonfires it can grate.

Can you join them, get that perk (for eg a chaos fireball spell), not rank up/do anything else in the covenant, go to come to me bro dude in the gargoyle tower, ask to leave and still have the spell?

Yes, I left the crazy spider covenant and still have the Chaos Fireball spell.

Yes, I left the crazy spider covenant and still have the Chaos Fireball spell.

Praise the Sun! Thanks

After being kindly offered in the way of the white covenant and then leaving, I somehow transferred the same feelings I would have if I left a really shit after school club to go out drinking (with a spider woman and a cat) and I've been too embarrassed and awkward to speak to him again. Even when I'm at firelink and I need to lift to the parish, I sprint past and keep the camera away from his face incase he looks....sad.

What I'm trying to say is I've been too much of a pussy to see if you can join again without any issues, are all covenants rejoinable at will?

I haven't dared join another covenant for fear of having to at pay that tax, but I'm also reluctant because I hear that you're much less likely to be invaded if you're in the starting covenant. The invasion side of things doesn't appeal to me at all since I can imagine it being horribly unfun if you lose a load of stuff to a guy who simply has much better gear than you. I haven't been invaded yet and sold the invasion items I found. I just don't feel like messing up someone's progress in a game like this.

I haven't dared join another covenant for fear of having to at pay that tax, but I'm also reluctant because I hear that you're much less likely to be invaded if you're in the starting covenant. The invasion side of things doesn't appeal to me at all since I can imagine it being horribly unfun if you lose a load of stuff to a guy who simply has much better gear than you. I haven't been invaded yet and sold the invasion items I found. I just don't feel like messing up someone's progress in a game like this.

Unless you're in human form for the majority if your game, I wouldn't worry at all about being invaded as you cannot be invaded while in hollow form. I've been in human form a few times and never had an invasion occur. That was at lower levels though.

Having horrible time tonight. level 52 and can't do the wolf or the hydra and then got my are kicked in the catacombs and the undead asylum. Time for a break.

Do you have a divine weapon? If you do the catacombs should be pretty straightforward I found. 3 or 4 hits of my divine halberd would kill each skellington. If you didn't have a divine weapon and had to rely on killing each necromancer I imagine it'd be a nightmare.