IGNORED

Dark Souls - Prepare To Die... You Died.

The Sarge

1.04 Patch incoming.

Just working on a quick and dirty translation for y'all. No date for when it's going to hit yet though.

The main things to be fixed:

Spells and effects

- Magic Shield, Strong Magic Shield.

- Tranquil Walk of Peace.

- Ring of Fog, etc.

Infinite magic/item glitch.

Fixing the balance of weapons which grant special abilities.

Adjusting the conditions for player matching. (yay!)

Loading problems when changing areas on the map, etc.

*The fixes will be explained in detail at a later date.

Just got this! Got to the first boss (very first boss!) and kept dying so giving it a rest already. Need to read up about the game a bit I think. Like wtf are souls and the other things!

Also, starting to wonder if a Knight is a great idea as first character. I should go with something with a range attack from the off, no?

Have just rung the second bell. Am a bit stuck as to where to go next.

Have killed the butterfly, but don't stand a chance of killing whatever that is in the water in Darkroot Basin. Haven't had much luck in the Valley of Drakes either, but didn't manage to pinch the sword and shield from the undead dragon after taking the shortcut from the back of Blighttown. I'm a level 35 Wanderer and currently wielding a Drake Sword +1 and switching between my Hollow Soldier Shield +4 and my standard Dragon Crest Shield. Are there many options open to me or am I just going to have to brave Sen's Fortress?

I managed to kill the thing you speak of with the same set up you have, and a slightly lower level.

The first thing to do is to kill the golems one by one - they can be overwhelming if they're all around you. After that, I suggest you run in massive zig zags to avoid the water cannon. When you've got to the water he'll stop shooting water and start using his faces to attack directly. After that it's a case of just standing in the water and attacking the heads as they come for you. Keep your 100% block (hollow shield is) up all the time and you should rarely take damage. Just be careful not to fall off the cliff in the water as I managed that a few times and it was infuriating.

level 39, too weat to continue through sens fortress...

levl

so, where to now? is it my goal now to simply level up?

I don't think it is. You can find a decent weapon quite early in Sen's fortress which if you take back to the blacksmith and upgrade a bit, is fantastic. I'd do Sens Fortress and then worry about moving on/leveling up a bit. Whats your current armour/weapon set up?

Just got the Eastern Armor. Oh my, hello.

Lovely isn't it? My favourite armour so far, though it's annoying to upgrade because

it requires Twinkling Titanite which I can't seem to find much of :(

. Coupled with the Gold Hemmed Hood I found after Quelaag, my warrior looks like some sort of armoured grim reaper. Win :D

Re The Thing In The Water At Darkroot Basin:

Once you've cleared the golems (which you can get the Hydra to 'help' with if you can direct the water missiles to hit them), you can actually run straight down the slope, rather than zig-zagging. As it's a hill, the water missiles should go straight over your head, and you can make it to the large boulder that provides cover. As others have said, once you're a few feet into the pool, the missiles stop, and the fight becomes a whole lot easier :)

Regarding the Demon's Souls versus Dark Souls debate: I really think it's too early to make a rash call.

Learning about the lack of summoning friends immediately made me think that there's no way i'd be putting in the amount of hours i did with Demon's - after all, at least half of my time was spent helping others with their game, many off this message board included. Another great chunk of playtime, was random PvP set-ups i did in 4-1, meeting all manner of canny Japanese players in the process.

As far as the world/campaign/story goes; i think they're different enough for both to co-exist. That said, there were very few areas in Dark Souls that 'smelt' like Demon's. Obvious comparisons on levels like Blighttown, but somehow they just didn't 'feel' the same. What they did feel, was incredibly cohesive. And i think that is the strongest part of Dark Souls - the world they've created, the way it all interconnects, the sublime (borderline genius) level layout, but most of all; even though each area is split up and feels very different, they all feel part of the same beautifully realised world.

I'll agree that certain later areas felt almost tacked on, in an effort to cover all bases (hey, we're missing a Lava level, quick copy & paste some earlier baddies, hey-presto!), and a couple of parts felt cheap for the sake of it, which goes against the perfect balancing act that Demon's pulled off, but that's only a minor niggle on an otherwise brilliant experience. We'll see if the same bits bother me as much on NG+, now that i know what to expect.

So yeah, waffle over. Overall i'm very happy with what they've created. Changes took some getting used to (and i hate change, lol), but repeated runs with different builds, and i'll have easily figured this bad-boy inside-out.

[pipe-dream]Just give me a friends list summoning stone that you only get after you've completed the game at least once. Then we can all play together![/pipe-dream]. :D

Regarding the Demon's Souls versus Dark Souls debate: I really think it's too early to make a rash call.

Learning about the lack of summoning friends immediately made me think that there's no way i'd be putting in the amount of hours i did with Demon's - after all, at least half of my time was spent helping others with their game, many off this message board included. Another great chunk of playtime, was random PvP set-ups i did in 4-1, meeting all manner of canny Japanese players in the process.

As far as the world/campaign/story goes; i think they're different enough for both to co-exist. That said, there were very few areas in Dark Souls that 'smelt' like Demon's. Obvious comparisons on levels like Blighttown, but somehow they just didn't 'feel' the same. What they did feel, was incredibly cohesive. And i think that is the strongest part of Dark Souls - the world they've created, the way it all interconnects, the sublime (borderline genius) level layout, but most of all; even though each area is split up and feels very different, they all feel part of the same beautifully realised world.

I'll agree that certain later areas felt almost tacked on, in an effort to cover all bases (hey, we're missing a Lava level, quick copy & paste some earlier baddies, hey-presto!), and a couple of parts felt cheap for the sake of it, which goes against the perfect balancing act that Demon's pulled off, but that's only a minor niggle on an otherwise brilliant experience. We'll see if the same bits bother me as much on NG+, now that i know what to expect.

The level design really is remarkable. Makes it feel like you really are in the middle of this huge world the way everywhere logically connects to each other. It can be a bit overwhelming at first trying to remember which shortcut it is which and how to get to a specific area, but im sure by the time youre on a NG+ it wont be a problem at all.

Im sad to hear the last few levels are a bit shit, and not shit in a blight town way, seems like they just arent very good levels. But when you look at it, Demons had 5 areas, 3 of which id say were outstanding, (Boletaria castle, Latria, and Shrine of Storms), and 2 okayish areas with the tunnels and the valley of defilement. Compared to Dark Souls, it has as many brilliant areas straight off the bat, undead burg, undead parish, darkroot, and other areas ive thought were great like the catacombs (tho i know people complained about these, once i had a divine weapon and could kill the skellies i loved the creepy atmosphere in there), the painted world (even tho i bitched the hell out of it at first it was a well designed level!), sens fortress, etc.

My biggest complaints about Dark Souls so far would be that i think some of it goes a little too far with the difficulty (Anor Londo is a piss take for example, those archers that get you while running up the castle buttresses, a room with 4 fucking black knights in it, then Tomb of the Giants essentially being a massive troll level etc), and they havent really learned from Demons in regards to weapons, its like, i pick up an incredible black knight greatsword, but its stats are so high that it takes tens of hours of play (not grinding) to be good enough to weild it, but by then youve found a bunch of regular weapons that are as good if not better than it. Also the switch to P2P for MP is fucking stupid. Its laggier and harder to get summoned.

Overall tho its everything i couldve asked for in a sequel. Incredible game, and if there was any DLC id lap it up, im 40 hours in and not even completed the main game yet.

YES! Finally killed the last boss. Such a tense fight when you're not relying on any of the tricks to beat him that people use. Totally glad I did it properly though.

Really enjoyed the game as a whole despite a couple of lacklustre areas at the end. Well worth me taking a week's holiday off to play through it. :D

has anyone been making boss soul weapons. I went on a crafting spree yesterday! Made the wolf sifs sword. A big ass hammer. A cool scythe. A shield thats like rygars disk armor! Their pretty great.

I just realized this as well unique weapons like Richards rapier or sunlight longsword have special heavy attack combos or even change attacks. I made a weapon from a boss soul and it removed the kick and replaced it with a slash and a quick back flip. Looks fucking ace!

How do you make weapons out of those special boss souls, btw? I don't think I've had the option.

Also, I

gave my 2 embers to the blacksmith down in the undead parish.... and ive just found the blacksmith in anor londo.... did I make a mistake?

Finished it last night, and rang the first bell in New Game+. It took me 70 hours or so, though a few of those were spent killing slugs for Large Titanite Shards to upgrade more weapons than I could possibly need. Last boss:

After a few poor attempts to whittle down Gwyn's health by cowering behind my Greatshield of Artorias+5 and poking him with a Demon's Spear (+4 I think, but damage wasn't great), I decided to go all in. Havel's armour, two-handing the Dragon Tooth+5, Flame Stoneplate Ring, Power Within cast before entering the Fog Gate. The high Poise of Havel's armour proved really effective, allowing me to swing and heal through Gwyn's constant attacks until he croaked. Then I lit a fire, and it's right back to the start! I'm sure people will complain about the abrupt ending, but I quite enjoy the vagueness of Demon's/Dark Souls' fantasy.

I'll be continuing with New Game+ (haven't died yet!), though I'm already plotting a Dexterity Pyromancer. Is SL120 still the 'target' level for online play? It seems like it should be, anything lower and non-scaling elemental weapons are likely to dominate.

I'm very disappointed you can't buff Unique weapons, even though they have no Magic, Fire or Lightning properties of their own.

One change i'm not happy about. :(

That's not a hard and fast rule, you can buff the Dragon Tooth for example. I think you can buff all the other large dragon weapons too, even though they have those over-the-top unique attacks. Like in Demon's Souls, it's best to try it out before you start upgrading! I haven't found anything as excellent as Light Weapon on a Meat Cleaver yet, though. :(

has anyone been making boss soul weapons. I went on a crafting spree yesterday!

I made the Dragon Bone Fist and grinned like a loon at the R2 attack, especially as I'd just applied Charcoal Pine Resin as a test.

SHORYUKEN!

Oh boy, those patch notes look great, everything I had a problem with seems to be getting fixed, hopefully the button lag bug is something they'll fix too. Now to decide between putting points into STR or DEX. Not a fan of the big, slow weapons, so easy to avoid so it's going to have to be Dex :ph34r:

Making good progress on this now, I around 30 hours in, and tooled up in the following way-

Halberd + 8

Thiefs armour, gloves, mask and boots +5

Grass shield +1

Ive done the following bosses-

Taurus Demon

Capra Demon

Moonlight Butterfly

Hydra

Ive got the following questions-

In Blighttown, is the boss the one in Quelags domain? Or is there another one? Because unless im missing something, its extremely easy to get there? Found Blighttown fairly easy to get around.

Is it worth me going back to undead asylum yet? The Lost Demon or whatever he is called kills me easily in 1 hit. Is it worth going there just to explore?

There are two places where I need to be able to fight ghosts, Londo Ruins and Darkroot (behind the locked door). What is the best way to approach this? Just go farming for souls and stock up on transient curses? That would be really annoying if so, as the only place I can buy them they are 4000 souls each. Is there a weapon I can get to help out?

What is a good weapon to use for the catacombs? I have a divine falchion, but it takes a good 5 or 6 hits to kill a skeleton with it, whereas my halberd nails them in 2 hits (but of course they respawn).

Many thanks in advance for any help :D

Christian

Better to have a divine weapon that kills them in 5 than a normal weapon in 2. Otherwise you'll have to try and hunt down the necromancer, of which there are quite a few, while battling respawning skeletons. Better to take a bit longer on each but have them stay dead.

That's not a hard and fast rule, you can buff the Dragon Tooth for example. I think you can buff all the other large dragon weapons too, even though they have those over-the-top unique attacks. Like in Demon's Souls, it's best to try it out before you start upgrading! I haven't found anything as excellent as Light Weapon on a Meat Cleaver yet, though. :(

Hmm! Maybe i've not tested enough examples. I only tried it on the weapons that looked good and had semi-decent stats. Mainly the Black Knight drops. And Gwyn's Greatsword.

Ho-hum!

protip, take a look to your right when youre standing at the magic door ;)

Sorry, I should have explained. I've done the butterfly boss and everything down there. I've just heard a couple of things mentioned that I haven't seen yet. A wolf, for starters. Is that all through the door?