EDF: Insect Armageddon

The Sarge

my enthusiasm has gone from unbridled glee to quiet cynicism.. :unsure:

I'm not really that bothered by the change in developer. It's not like the game is full of really complex and difficult to implement systems that only the geniuses at Sandlot could manage. You shoot things and they die with awful physics and no death animation.

Hopefully those aren't just jetpacks, but the return of the Pale Wing class, which will mean all those amazing fancy laser weapons to compliment the infantry class' collection of guns and explody shit.

EDIT: Oh wait, vicious cycle did Matt Hazard? I spoke too soon. Cautious optimism mode engaged.

I'm not really that bothered by the change in developer. It's not like the game is full of really complex and difficult to implement systems that only the geniuses at Sandlot could manage. You shoot things and they die with awful physics and no death animation.

Well my experience of the game was of one that had a incredible level of tactics and balance. The core bad guys had inverse relationship of health to damage they could deal, which meant you had to constantly keep aware of which enemies were where and which were higher priority. Often your 'best' weapons for a level would be non explosive ones, yet taking them would lose your ability to level buildings and create favorable Line of sight. Insuring that you kept as many of your allies alive as possible and making sure you activate their 'follow' function can massively reduce the difficulty of the levels.

These are not even close to all the subtleties the game offered me, so I think I will continue to be concerned about this sequel.

Well my experience of the game was of one that had a incredible level of tactics and balance. The core bad guys had inverse relationship of health to damage they could deal, which meant you had to constantly keep aware of which enemies were where and which were higher priority. Often your 'best' weapons for a level would be non explosive ones, yet taking them would lose your ability to level buildings and create favorable Line of sight. Insuring that you kept as many of your allies alive as possible and making sure you activate their 'follow' function can massively reduce the difficulty of the levels.

These are not even close to all the subtleties the game offered me, so I think I will continue to be concerned about this sequel.

No sorry, you just got a big gun and shot the fuck out of everything.

That's why people liked it on here, that's why it had a cult following, it was a big no-nonsense shooter from the old days not worried by things like plot or cutscenes or different mission types - just shooting the fuck out of everything.

That's why people liked it on here, that's why it had a cult following, it was a big no-nonsense shooter from the old days not worried by things like plot or cutscenes or different mission types - just shooting the fuck out of everything.

That's how you got in, yes. Then it started to display subtleties.

Just like in Halo, many people play the game though to completion on on the easier difficulties just by using any set of weapons and just ploughing through. There is nothing wrong with that but you get far more out of the game when it pushes you to use more tactical combat.

I fucking hate it when a sequel to a loved game gets released, because the threads start being flooded with negativity and apathy. Seriously, what happened to giving the benefit of the doubt? Why not remain some cautious optimism instead of running around with a sandwich board that says "THE END IS NIGH!"?

Don't make me be the reasonable one, you bastards.

Just like in Halo, many people play the game though to completion on on the easier difficulties just by using any set of weapons and just ploughing through. There is nothing wrong with that but you get far more out of the game when it pushes you to use more tactical combat.

I dunno, I've pretty much gone through all the difficulties in GDF on PS2 and my experience of it was that we'd happily sail through a few levels, then get to a massive difficulty spike, and then have to grind out levels to obtain new weapons and get more armour. There were simple tactics we'd use to get through some tough spots, but it never really amounted to anything more than you use weapons x and y to provide support from a distance while I use weapons a and b up close. And then that tactic would inevitably get broken by the next ridiculously overpowered thing we got. I didn't think there was much more strategy to it than placing yourself in a position so that you don't become enveloped by the enemy hoard, so it was a pretty simple balance of crowd control and then picking off the stragglers or boss creatures. My experience with EDF is much more limited, but I'm sure it can't have become that much more tactically involved between iterations, can it?

Oh, I'm still hoping for the best. But somehow it's also a bit sad to not see Sandlot in charge of this. Then again, considering VC's track record, they might just do the production only, with Sandlot doing designs (after all Reginleiv also had to be completed). We simply don't know yet.

Please, Sandlot develop shit too, they're a budget developer, so are these new fellows.

Jetpacks are enough to have me hyped.

Such as? what really shitty games have Sandlot developed or are you making some assumptions about them? or is this the EDF is such a simple game, any trained monkey could make it line of thinking?

PlayStation 2 Robot Alchemic Drive

PlayStation 2 Monster Attack (EDF)

PlayStation 2 Tetsujin 28-Gou

PlayStation 2 Remote Control Dandy SF

PlayStation 2 Global Defence Force (EDF 2)

DS Chou Soujuu Mecha MG

Xbox 360 Earth Defense Force 2017 (EDF X)

Wii Zangeki no Reginleiv

To be honest, I think a lot of what you mention was 'accidentally' put in there :D

Oh, I'm still hoping for the best. But somehow it's also a bit sad to not see Sandlot in charge of this. Then again, considering VC's track record, they might just do the production only, with Sandlot doing designs (after all Reginleiv also had to be completed). We simply don't know yet.

The Vicious Cycle PR makes it fairly clear they are doing it themselves, fuck knows if the person who purported to have received that e-mail from Sandlot was even telling the truth now:

Earth Defense  Force:  Insect Armageddon will  be  available  this  spring  in North America  for 

Xbox  360®  video  game  and  entertainment  system  from Microsoft  and  PlayStation®3 

computer  entertainment  system  and  is  under  development  by  Vicious  Cycle 

Taking place in the fictional city of New Detroit, Earth Defense Force: Insect

Armageddon is a completely new game developed by Vicious Cycle that takes on the

concept of Earth Defense Force 2017 (Japanese Title “Earth Defense Force 3” developed by

SANDLOT). Insect Armageddon continues to follow the rich history of casual fun and

addictive gameplay that made the franchise a cult classic. Insect Armageddon also adds a

new aspect to the Earth Defense Force series that was born in Japan, with additional

elements for all EDF soldiers to experience. The Campaign mode that lets up to three

players team up online to battle the insects and aliens across a completely destroyable

city. Every EDF soldier is armed with over 150 weapons and four upgradeable armor

sets and engages in nonstop arcade action that is the fastest and deadliest in the series.

In addition, the game also features a six‐player Survival mode that pits a human squad against

a nonstop onslaught of the largest enemies the aliens have to offer. New Detroit’s giant bug

problem is unavoidable, and mankind’s last hope lies with the Earth Defense Force to defend

the world from the insect swarm, even if it means blowing up the entire city as part of the

extermination process.

The PR makes it sound like the entire game takes place in New Detroit, I suppose this is what you would call an attempt to appeal to a broader Western audience.

The thing is, too many people put stock in "The developer". What this usually comes down to is a bunch of people, and people often leave companies, move on, etc. So you're not having the same people make the game...and yet most people/forums/etc just look at the names and get excited/worried/etc.

If you look at someone like Si Games, who make football manager, they'll often say how "they" made Champ man/they've got all that experience. If you look at their team, many/most of them have only been there a few years.

People move on, do new things, get new jobs/promotions elsewhere to further their career. This is natural. So when people get excited or concerned about a developer, then it's only half the story. Producers/designers/etc can and often will change from game to game, and this can make the whole experience very different. There are exceptions; some Japanese companies are keen to keep their top guys and push the boat out to do so.

To sum up, I'm not worried about a change in developer. Imagine it like this. If YOU were to make EDF you'd make it awesome. To think that industry professionals would not try to do that, or be hyped to do that, or do a damn good job, is a bit silly!

My only concern is that those first lot of ants look small; they need to be giant! I hope that does come about...

You're over playing it, really. The game was "easy" to balance as they had a load of difficulty settings!

I dunno, I've pretty much gone through all the difficulties in GDF on PS2 and my experience of it was that we'd happily sail through a few levels, then get to a massive difficulty spike, and then have to grind out levels to obtain new weapons and get more armour. There were simple tactics we'd use to get through some tough spots, but it never really amounted to anything more than you use weapons x and y to provide support from a distance while I use weapons a and b up close. And then that tactic would inevitably get broken by the next ridiculously overpowered thing we got. I didn't think there was much more strategy to it than placing yourself in a position so that you don't become enveloped by the enemy hoard, so it was a pretty simple balance of crowd control and then picking off the stragglers or boss creatures. My experience with EDF is much more limited, but I'm sure it can't have become that much more tactically involved between iterations, can it?

Well you *can* grind for health, I never have and I have 3 levels left to go on Inferno difficulty, with very few done in co-op. Co-op *is* fun but it does make a lot of the difficult tactical decisions as far as weapon selection easier, as well as obviously just making the game easier by having twice as many people fighting the bad guys.

To be honest, I think a lot of what you mention was 'accidentally' put in there :D

Possibly, but I don't think that matters, its still there.