IGNORED

Which view do you use

Meers

If all of the following views were offered...  

229 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Bonnetcam feels the most realistic because it matches my experience of driving a real car the closest. When I'm driving I look through the window and the cockpit is just a blur in my peripheral vision. When using the in-cockpit camera it feels way too narrow, like I'm missing a huge part of my view. A bit like driving in winter with frozen windows and you only scratched the ice from the driver's side of the windscreen.

forza3video.jpg

If it's a road racing game, I typically prefer nose or bonnet cams, with the in-car view at a push (it was quite nice in Test Drive Unlimited). I also used the nose cam in Wipeout, because I felt far more in control of the craft when using a camera that tilted along with my ship. I felt able to get closer to the rims of the track. And it was fucking awesome, of course.

Colin McRae 2.0, on the other hand, was firmly a chase-cam game for me. I just couldn't cope without seeing my car's orientation and the track direction at the same time. It may well have been more immersive, but I was hopeless at it.

I suppose it would be fair to say if there's powersliding involved, I prefer a chase cam so I can see the slide and the track together. Outrun 2006 is much the same.

This exactly.

Nosecam all the way.

I hate 3rd person cams in driving games because the camera never follows the turns of the car fast enough to see where you're going. I'll also settle for bonnet cam if I have to, but ideally I don't give a tuppeny crap about seeing how damaged by car is or whether the bonnet is flipping upwards etc (and as a side note, bonnet-flipping is a design flaw in some bonnet cams which makes them inherently unfair to use).

Always bonnet cam unless it's an F1 game then I use the above the helmet view. Oh and in bike games I use a camera behind the bike otherwise I think I'd throw up.

What, you mean you don't like it when the whole track flips side to side like this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdRrLNVxxK0

:hmm:

Makes me queasy in that view too. You'd think the people that make these games had never ridden a bike themselves, or done a bit of research and watched some real racing and seen that the riders mostly try to keep their heads fairly upright, looking through the bend, not sat there on the bike as stiff as a mannequin. They need to get it like Rossi's gyro-cam.

What, you mean you don't like it when the whole track flips side to side like this...

Makes me queasy in that view too. You'd think the people that make these games had never ridden a bike themselves, or done a bit of research and watched some real racing and seen that the riders mostly try to keep their heads fairly upright, looking through the bend, not sat there on the bike as stiff as a mannequin. They need to get it like Rossi's gyro-cam.

That view type is shit because it's fixed to the bike and makes you sick. In the video below you'll see the view I always pick for my motor racing games:

You see the camera is fixed to the helmet, moving like the rider's head does. Much more natural and it doesn't bob as much.

Thats why I don't play the MotoGP games. I tend to get laughed at as I start tilting my head to make up for the camera followin how the bike moves.

Actually, I was doing it with the video Meerman posted too :lol: