Frames Per Second, AA, Tearing etc...

The Mighty Ash

This video got posted around the internet this morning and has got people in a flap due to it showing the game running at 24fps:

This has people cancelling pre orders. Personally Im not really bothered by FPS, a bit of tearing, anti aliasing and other techincal problems I dont fully understand.

How important are they to you?

Once you've had the good stuff, it's fucking hard to put up with anything else. You know when you've played COD for ages and then you play some Halo and it's all "zomg, my eyes, the frame rate is giving me a headache"? It's like that.

Lol, you fucking Halo fanboys. Come on, saying it runs at half the frame rate of COD isn't exactly bashing it when it's FACTUALLY TRUE, is it. :facepalm:

F1 2010 is a good example of where 30fps doesn't really work well IMO.

Blur, on the other hand is a bad example as it works very well but until you've played two games at 30 or 60 have know the difference in the tactile feel (which in a racing game is quite important) - then why should you be bothered?

My problem is that many effects are needlessly added and the framerate or tearing become then become an issue. Its a hard one to debate to be honest. With most programs something has to give.

Tearing fucking winds me up. It's horrid, absolutely horrid. Get vsync on, and then make your game look nice with a decent framerate. Don't disable it as a lazy way to get a few more FPS :facepalm:

It won't necessarily stop me from playing a game though, but it does make me sad inside.

The thing is, it'll always be a problem, no matter how powerful future consoles are. The next lot will have super hi-res textures and a minimum res of 1080p, and will probably all support 3D, so again, we'll get low framerates and tearing and all that nonsense.

Famitsu marked down Bayonetta on the PS3 due to its poor frame rate. It can affect a game like that, where the mechanic is reliant on timing and the timing is thrown off by an irregular frame rate.

Shadow of the Colossus was arguably no worse despite the creaking frame rate.

Tearing is annoying and irritates my eyes if it's excessive.

AA only really mattered in the PS2 jaggies era, and for PC nerds who boast about 8xAA and other codeword shit.

Having a locked framerate is generally preferable rather than one which fluctuates.

DUNES

Famitsu marked down Bayonetta on the PS3 due to its poor frame rate. It can affect a game like that, where the mechanic is reliant on timing and the timing is thrown off by an irregular frame rate.

Shadow of the Colossus was arguably no worse despite the creaking frame rate.

Tearing is annoying and irritates my eyes if it's excessive.

AA only really mattered in the PS2 jaggies era, and for PC nerds who boast about 8xAA and other codeword shit.

Having a locked framerate is generally preferable rather than one which fluctuates.

DUNES

AA is a pretty fucking big deal, though it depends from engine to engine. The reason you think it's only an issue on PS2 is because it was a requirement until recently that all 360 games have AA. Plus, UE3 has its own in engine AA, and seeing as about 99% of 360 games use that engine, it's not an issue there either. It's more of an issue on the PS3, though they seem to be sorting it out now. It's very noticeable when there's none at all, but hardly a gamebreaker. I'd gladly turn off AA to bump up the framerate.

All annoy me because I can't help but notice them. I wish I could, but it's not really something you can turn off.

That said, anyone cancelling a preorder because they've been told what a game's framerate is, having evidently been unable to notice it with their own eyes, deserves to be relegated to Kinect games for the rest of their natural life.

Tearing is the worst. What's the point of having a beautiful game if the image is splitting in two every other second.

I don't mind a framerate in the mid 20s if its constant because your eyes get used to it, I hate really variable framerates. Racing games should ideally be 60fps, the difference in Mario Kart Wii single and multiplayer is horrible.

Not too fussed about AA as long as the game doesn't look as hideous as the console versions of Mafia 2.

Not to sound like a PC elitist, but once you get used to seeing games running in 60FPS with proper AA, not this fake quincux shit, its very hard to go back. Reach still looks amazing and palys great, and no way would i abandon my console cause they cant do 60FPS or whatever, but i guarantee most of the people saying "it doesnt matter to me" havent actually played a game running at 60FPS. If you had, youd know that yeah, its important, and can really improve your enjoyment of a game. 24 FPS for that castlevania game is shocking tbh

Tearing gets on my tits more than most other things. I can handle the framerate dropping on rarer occassions or some AA effects not smoothing out every single jaggie in the world, but seeing the image break up like that can ruin the immersion.

On that subject though I was just reading on eurogamer/digitial foundry about a technique some devs are using to deal with tearing- they have it set so that the image tears in a part of the screen that the human eye is unlikely to notice it while in gameplay- unless you're examining the whole screen deliberately you're meant to not see it at all. I think it was used in the recent prince of persia game.

Not to sound like a PC elitist, but once you get used to seeing games running in 60FPS with proper AA, not this fake quincux shit, its very hard to go back. Reach still looks amazing and palys great, and no way would i abandon my console cause they cant do 60FPS or whatever, but i guarantee most of the people saying "it doesnt matter to me" havent actually played a game running at 60FPS.

I gather almost everyone saying "it doesn't matter to me" has at least played modern warfare 2/COD4

25 frames I can live with, but I absolutely flipped my lid when I read about that being 24fps. I'm seething right now.

I didn't know what anti-aliasing was until about two years ago. I always thought it was the blurring effect the N64 (and 3dfx etc) had over the playstation. Then I found out what it was and suddenly I started noticing when games didn't have it. Which was annoying.