NBA 2K11

Crhis

My bro is doing some Xmas temping in Gamestation and said all over the holidays they've had like 1 copy that came and went, and lots of people have been asking for it. Weird!

It'll be the same old nobody in the UK plays NBA, NHL etc games so they order in one or two copies at most. Same pain in the ass with Sony not releasing MLB The Show as noboby in Europe wants to play a highly rated baseball game! ;)

That boy Rondo's a bit good. I still got humped by the Clippers though! :ph34r:

I just can't defend. The AI seems to make space and find gaps easily, while my AI guys never make a move and just stand there being easily marked.

For the shooting in this is it all timing based? I missed some easy looking lay offs last night from right under the rim. That and taking free throws with Shaq is a nightmare.

Well after trying the Demo of this last night and enjoying it despite being unable to score for the most part or bloody dunk! I tried to order it today only to find it sold out everywhere I've looked. It's either very popular or they only produced 50 copies :P

Anyway, ordered it from Play.com for £17.99 and they say it should be dispatched within two weeks. Now the dreaded long wait <_<

That boy Rondo's a bit good. I still got humped by the Clippers though! :ph34r:

I just can't defend. The AI seems to make space and find gaps easily, while my AI guys never make a move and just stand there being easily marked.

For the shooting in this is it all timing based? I missed some easy looking lay offs last night from right under the rim. That and taking free throws with Shaq is a nightmare.

Timing based yeah. You just have to get the rhythm, the feeling. Release the button at the peak of your jump. Practice taking mid range shots in the shootaround mode until you get it down. Don't shoot from too far away, even under perfect circumstances it's unlikely you'll hit over 50% of your 3 pointers.

Defense is hard. Remember basketball is a game where offense overpowers defense. You cannot always stop someone from scoring, you can just do your best to lower the chance they get a good look at the basket. If you defend hard all game and contest every shot, putting them under pressure all the time, it's much more likely they'll miss more.

Defense Basics:

Don't reach in

Don't jump to block a shot*

When the guy you are defending has the ball, stay in front of him - not so close they can go past on the first step but not so far they have an open shot. Make their path to the basket difficult.

When your guy is waiting for the ball or running around trying to get free, try to cover the possibility of a pass, keep yourself between the guy with the ball and the defender.

When your guy runs under the basket, stick like glue to them so they cannot get an easy pass

If your player is close to the basket after a shot from their team, always box out, if he's out on the 3 point line, always hustle to get a good position for the rebound. On the offensive end, at first you'll get stuck to other players a lot and get frustrated, but you will get better at this.

Intermediate:

Learn when it's good to help out another man on defense - for example when a guy is committing himself to a shot, try to get a hand in his face. Be mindful of players who are good at passing out of shots to an open man. When you leave your man try to keep half an eye on him to see if he runs elsewhere.

Try to anticipate passes you have a chance of stealing - the stealing drills are very good for this. Watch the player with the ball while your man is within reach - if he starts to make the pass motion to your guy, be ready to get your hand in the way.

If your guy gets past you and a teammate steps in, be prepared to switch to their guy.

*Learn when it can be a good time to jump and block a shot. Problems: Once you are in the air, you are not able to move, so if the player doesn't shoot or passes, you will have to wait until you land to recover, by which point the shot is usually in the air or your guy has driven to the basket. The more you play the more you'll get a feeling for when a guy is going to shoot - but remain conservative. When the shot clock or game clock is winding down, and your guy has the ball, when he goes into a shot motion, it's more likely he will shoot.

When helping out, watch for those times you may be able to make a block from behind/the side/get in the way of the shot. Blocks are very elusive, you're lucky to get a handful in a game, but being able to put people off their shots and miss more often is crucial to your team winning.

Advanced

Start watching the plays the other team runs. Anticipate the options, understand what happens when you block your player from receiving a pass. If you are defending a guy who is poor offensively, it may be beneficial for him to receive the ball!

Anticipate the plays, step round or switch on the screens as appropriate, watch for any mismatches and know when to double team and when not to.

Learn the players and what they like to do, how they play. e.g. just from watching real matches I know LeBron takes a lot of pull up jumpers, long 2 pointers, etc. He favours isolation plays where his teammates spread out and leave the path open for him, he is skilled enough to beat his own single defender most of the time. If the defense collapse in on him, he knows exactly where to kick the ball out to. Every player has their favourite spots, particular ways of playing, particular way they like to drive, tendency to use shot fakes, tendency to make a contested layup, to drive then pass out.

I strongly recommend playing the My Player or fixed player mode to get an idea what you can do individually to influence the on court action. With the regular game mode there's a lot of temptation to play loose and wild and go for blocks and steals, then when your first guy is out of the picture, switch to another player/repeat. It's not a good long term tactic. Playing fundamental defense with the one player you are controlling at the time is a key factor in winning games.

Cheers for that. I might have a bash at the My Player thing then to understand things better.

I use to watch basketball back in the 80's but haven't really followed it since. Even though I'm getting my ass handed to me on a plate I'm still really enjoying the game. The game feels alive for want of a better word, more so than any sports game I've ever played. The presentation is second to none too. Although a couple of times I wished there was a skip button for the NBA Today snips.

The only flaw I've seen is due to the brilliant player models that the coaches when shown look like zombies!

My bro is doing some Xmas temping in Gamestation and said all over the holidays they've had like 1 copy that came and went, and lots of people have been asking for it. Weird!

Yeah, it's been ridiculously popular. Naturally, nowhere's had it in stock for about a month now.

It pisses me off how badly stocked these games are.

What really gets me though is that no serious Baseball games get released at all over here. I would love Major League Baseball 2K11, but won't be able to get it at all... Does the PC version get a UK release? I will have to import MLB The Show for PS3. In the age of Digital distribution I have to wonder why the options to get these direct from PSN or XBLM are not there for these sorts of games. Surely the risk would be minimal :(

There is a rumour going around that The Show may get a Euro release this year. I'll believe it when I see it though. Seems to be a bad trend this gen of dropping some USA sports titles.

I think NBA 2k11 is in short supply as I think retailers have been stung with too many copies in the past. The 2k10 version was £18 within a couple of weeks of release everywhere. It's a shame this game certainly deserves a big following.

Glad to hear it's in demand. To be fair it is by far the best basketball game I've ever played. Not many games you get to meet Obama.

NBA Jam lets you play as Obama! Boomshakalaka!

I've really enjoyed 2k11, and friends & family have all remarked on the graphics and presentation. My stepdad really had to stare to work out it was a game and not real life.

But it's no surprise that the high street's not stocked it - and it's easily available online innit? Zavvi marked it down to sub £20 within two months of release.

This is a game that has given me an interest in the real life sport :blink: (I'm almost considering the NBA league pass; it's a bummer you have to pay extra for all the playoffs)

NBA Jam lets you play as Obama! Boomshakalaka!

I've really enjoyed 2k11, and friends & family have all remarked on the graphics and presentation. My stepdad really had to stare to work out it was a game and not real life.

But it's no surprise that the high street's not stocked it - and it's easily available online innit? Zavvi marked it down to sub £20 within two months of release.

This is a game that has given me an interest in the real life sport :blink: (I'm almost considering the NBA league pass; it's a bummer you have to pay extra for all the playoffs)

Nope, seems to be sold out everywhere at the moment. It's like gold dust!

Lost a ten point lead in the final quarter against the Nets, so still haven't won a game! My Knicks are ten points up on the NJ Nets and suddenly they become the three point masters! Ends up a tie game, still tied at the end of the first period of OT and then the little git pops a three near the end of the second OT period to win the game! :angry:

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

Been playing this today and loving it. Not a fan of the sport and not played a bb game since NBA Jam on the megadrive.

For the first hour it's quite daunting in regards to menu and the amount of moves and I was getting spanked every game, even on rookie, but after that first hour it's all coming together and pulling off a steal then a dunk feels sublime. The animation and presentation are awesome and the commentary is excellent.

Had some great games that have gone down to the final seconds. One of the best sports games ive played.

Other than one game OT loss I think I average losing by about twenty points each game!

Just played a few games as the Knicks against the Bobcats, lost the last of the three games 59 - 23! I just can't figure the game out. When attacking my team mates seem to be static. They just stand and get marked, while of defense they often leave the guy they are marking to follow someone else leaving a man clear in front of the basket!

As much as the presentation is good I really wish there was a way to turn much of it off. When I'm getting annoyed at getting humped and missing another easy basket I couldn't give a toss about the bloody Sprite Spark.