The Alan Partridge Thread

Comrade

Oh dear, I’m afraid I didn’t find it very funny at all. 

Like Alan’s return to the BBC I found the jokes faltered more often than not. There were a few good Patridgisms but it felt more like someone doing a half-remembered impression of Alan at times. 

To put my wank hat on for a moment, I don’t think Alan as the nervous, halting TV star really fits. Alan loves being the centre of attention and has zero self-awareness of how completely mad he is. Someone so spectacularly obsessed with himself is the part that makes the character funny and endearing both at the same time. Alan wouldn’t be nervous to be back on TV and I don’t think there’s many laughs you can get out of that. 

Youre suposed to cringe watching Alan Partridge, but cringing at the ludicrous things he says and does, not at a vague sense of desperation. 

1 minute ago, Popo said:

Like Alan’s return to the BBC I found the jokes faltered more often than not. There were a few good Patridgisms but it felt more like someone doing a half-remembered impression of Alan at times. 

To put my wank hat on for a moment, I don’t think Alan as the nervous, halting TV star really fits. Alan loves being the centre of attention and has zero self-awareness of how completely mad he is. Someone so spectacularly obsessed with himself is the part that makes the character funny and endearing both at the same time. Alan wouldn’t be nervous to be back on TV and I don’t think there’s many laughs you can get out of that. 

Youre suposed to cringe watching Alan Partridge, but cringing at the ludicrous things he says and does, not at a vague sense of desperation. 

Yeah but he's desperate to be a success again. It's part of how Alan is now written.

12 minutes ago, Popo said:

Nah you’re talking old money partridge. The best thing about the character is that he’s got older, has changed and is aware of his own past. 

He’s been sidelined on North Norfolk Digital for years, hence his behaviour in the film and increasing annoyance over the two series of MMM. 

And now he’s finally got a big chance to be where he wants to be and it’s utterly glorious telly. 

53 minutes ago, K said:

I got so stressed out during that Sidekick Simon bit that I had to temporarily stop watching. 

You know when people say "I was watching through my fingers" but they never actually mean it, they just mean it made them cringe a bit? Well, I was genuinely watching that bit through my fingers. It was so brilliantly done, but just too painful. When he hit the home button I burst out laughing while turning away from the screen. 

Loads of good bits, but Alan muttering about "creamy hands" during the hygiene bit was incredible. 

Loved it, and you know it's just going to get better and better as we get into the groove of this new Alan, just like Mid Morning Matters , and I'm Alan Partridge before it, did. 

Lots of highlights, definitely will improve with repeated watching, but the hacker reeling off Alan's emailing and online activity had me laughing hardest I think. 

The slightly too long walk to the videowall was genius plus him struggling with name pronounciation. Lots of great touches generally.

The big difference with this series is that there's no canned laughter (good decision) but it does perhaps give it a flatter tone and energy than we're used to.

It had me in stitches pretty consistently. It does feel like a slightly different take on the character, but people change so I'm fine with that. I like that when I saw a gag coming (her stealing his line a second time) the execution still managed genuine lols.

Can't wait for more 

Most of us have fond memories of IAP S2 in snapshot (and some of those bits are great, so why not), but I found it disappointing overall at the time. I loved the Linton era because Alan's tragedy was amplified by a series of relative strangers who, unlike us, were initially unaware of his desperation. Their dawning and inability to escape the ping-pong awkwardness that followed was (is) amazing. But when he's interacting with people who are already familiar with his ways (save for Lynn and a few others), I feel that it robs his Partridgisms of impact as they're a matter of routine for those who deal with them.

This entire episode could've worked as a segment, but without the fresh-victim interplay of old it's too straight-down-the-barrel for me, and I'm not vicariously empathising with Alan via whoever he's collared any more. Gyles Brandreth on The One Show isn't a million miles from this, and he's just awful.

I'd have much preferred to see him working as a producer of this programme, with the larger cast that would've accompanied that. By making him a presenter he's on the end of features that he could've been foisting on others with misplaced pride, and so on. The One Show feels like an inside Randolph-and-Mortimer joke as it is; as dead an end for comedy as The Thick of It would be for Iannucci at the minute.

The fact it was on BBC One, when it is absolutely ripping the piss out of programs like The One Show, is total subverted genius.

It’s a pity they didn’t make another series running alongside it, more of the traditional “I’m Alan Partridge” showing the behind the scenes preparation of the live show but I’m sure the modern equivalent of Tony Hayers blocked that.

9 hours ago, Anne Summers said:

Loved it, and you know it's just going to get better and better as we get into the groove of this new Alan, just like Mid Morning Matters , and I'm Alan Partridge before it, did. 

Lots of highlights, definitely will improve with repeated watching, but the hacker reeling off Alan's emailing and online activity had me laughing hardest I think. 

That whole hacker sequence was incredible. Alan's warning that we might find his appearance disturbing then the cut to the guy in a totally harmless giraffe/mouse mask killed me.