IGNORED

The Alan Partridge Thread

Comrade

Like a lot of post-MMM Partridge this was hit and miss, with the hits being very good. The off-air bits didn't really work for me, I'd have preferred a stright-up magazine/sketch parody of The One Show, but I can understand what they were going for, and at least with the hand-washing segment they did go there. The hacktivist interview and Lynn being bitchy were great bits. This is how Alan Partridge is now, the old Alan has gone, and whilst there are things I miss about that I am finding enough here to make me cringe just as badly.

My prediction is that the female presenter will begin to hate Alan to such an extent that she starts undermining him at every turn. By the last episode she will humiliate him so much that Alan plots revenge.

Partridge gets his revenge but typically implodes too. I imagine it'll involve some meddling with her autocue. This may happen sooner rather than later of course.

Watching it again, I think they've really hit the nail on the head in how Partridge would be now. Think back to when "Knowing Me, Knowing You" was broadcast - TWENTY FIVE YEARS AGO - and the whole format played to Alan Partridge being a self confident fool with an interview format that was well out of date by 1994, but it always felt like Alan was trying to prove that the audience was wrong by thinking it was out of date, the format was right, although he got his comeuppance in the end.

This Time really plays up to Alan being completely out of his depth now on TV after being years away from it- although the basic format is fairly similar to "Knowing Me, Knowing You" except how it's executed is very different. No audience either. Partridge is "yesterday's man",  but he's trying desperately to prove his relevance and that he can bring something fresh to the format that unfortunately shows he had no idea about modern television(like taking ideas from an estate agent!). 

What will be interesting is how this will play out. We wanted to see Alan get his just desserts in Knowing Me, Knowing You because he was an over confident buffoon. So how he ended up in "I'm Alan Partridge" played perfectly to that, ending up on local radio but still believing he was a great TV presenter with great TV ideas. But I don't think that type of ending would be satisfying for the way he is now. Instead t would be great to see a new series of "I'm Alan Partridge", except where he's promoted and lauded, gets a bit of his confidence back and see him knocked back down again. 

Partridge is fine, it's the situation that doesn't work for me. The One Show's too easy a target, and doesn't provide the sort of material that Look Around You had to plunder if you're keeping it fully in-studio.

Roaming Alan's the best Alan, coupling straight-to-camera bits with him dealing with the locals as an outside reporter. This Country shifts between its characters talking to camera and interacting with each other, and that's the kind of balance I'd prefer.

personally my favourite Alan, is his offscreen one from IAP. and to echo some of the comments earlier in this thread, i'd have loved him to be in a more directorial role trying to create something he doesnt understand.desperate phone calls, unneeded and over the top pep talks,  taking over camera man jobs like he was flying a fighter jet, earpiece in, and move and fire and move and fire,

15 hours ago, kerraig UK said:

I can't believe there wasn't more love for the toilet cubicle bit. I was in tears.

Loved it.

The way Alan acts like he’s negotiating a laser grid in Mission Impossible. The way his co-host looks on in horror, silently screaming. The way he eventually tails off as he realises no-one is really interested :lol:

As usual with Partridge a second (and third) watch truly reveals the depths.

I also loved his poo and wee nursery rhyme :lol:

I think the show is going to document the saving of Alan. I think we will all 'back him.

The other host nicking his jokes. The guests undermining him. The on site presenter hating him. Meanwhile he's giving simon his big break, and actively willing him to succeed. 

He's being (for alan) a 'good egg'.

3 hours ago, LaveDisco said:

I think the show is going to document the saving of Alan. I think we will all 'back him.

The other host nicking his jokes. The guests undermining him. The on site presenter hating him. Meanwhile he's giving simon his big break, and actively willing him to succeed. 

I hope not. I hope we're not going to go down the David Brent "redemption" route where we all have a big emotional realisation that he's actually a great chap underneath it all. 

I do love it when Alan occasionally actually gets the last laugh (needless to say). But we don't need it to become a major theme of the show. 

4 hours ago, LaveDisco said:

I'm with you here.

17 hours ago, NickC said:

As usual with Partridge a second (and third) watch truly reveals the depths.

I watched it for a second time and it was a delight to look out for less obvious touches and lines.  That said, the hacker segment was a bit dull on second viewing, but everything else stood up!

15 minutes ago, meatbin said:

I watched it for a second time and it was a delight to look out for less obvious touches and lines.  That said, the hacker segment was a bit dull on second viewing, but everything else stood up!

Guess whose big in the back time!

On 27/02/2019 at 01:35, kerraig UK said:

I can't believe there wasn't more love for the toilet cubicle bit. I was in tears.

Paper paper paper! Turn!

The first time he walked over to the touchscreen and just got the intro verbiage timing that tiny bit wrong was fantastic. The second time with the hacker, they overdid it.

38 minutes ago, Garwoofoo said:

Looking around for more Partridge I see there is a movie on Amazon Prime. Is this worth watching? I assume I wouldn’t have had to have watched the 83 other series to get what’s going on?

Watch The Day Today. Now.