The Alan Partridge Thread

Comrade

1 hour ago, Boothjan said:

Surely he's taking the piss??

For a while it sort of looks like he's playing along with the joke, but as he continues it falls apart and he can't manage to conceal his anger.

Classic Partridge.

So many little amazing awkward shots in this series. My fave in the last episode is where he is outside and the camera is rotating around him whist he turns his head to keep focusing on the camera but they go a bit too far so his vocals are affected due to the twisting of the throat.

6 hours ago, Boothjan said:

That's more Partridge-esque than Richard Madeley with the squatters!!

Surely he's taking the piss??

Nobody is more Partridge than Madeley

Morgan plays up to it because he's a self-obsessed waste of toxic human garbage. Madeley is just a bit of a wally. 

I thought the second episode was even better than the first. I see that there’s a narrative growing that it’s terrible because the viewing figures dived after the first episode though. I’m not sure what some people were expecting from this; it’s obviously a very different format to I'm Alan Partridge, but I think it’s shaping up to surpass Knowing Me, Knowing You. 

I don't know what it is about it, but it feels off to me. There are some brilliant moments throughout, but I just don't think it hangs together that well.

Weirdly, I think earlier iterations of Partridge felt more real even though he ended up doing and saying some absolutely mental things, whereas this isn't as crazy yet, but it feels like a parody of Partridge.

I dunno. I'm trying to put my finger on what it is that isn't working. Maybe it's the format. Not sure.

I'll keep watching in the hope it gets better, but I'm pretty disappointed.

Over my lifetime no one in the world has made me laugh more than Coogan has as Alan, so it really pains me to admit it, but this is the first Partridge thing ever for me that isn't landing. I'm barely laughing and I cannot put my finger on exactly why. It's incredibly well-crafted and detailed, the narrative is tight, and Coogan's performance is meticulous, but a lot of jokes seem a bit awkward and forced. Like, the 'COCKSUCKER' joke was appalling. There is no way he or anyone else would ever do that and it isn't funny anyway. And even the funnier stuff just seems a bit off for some reason. 

1 hour ago, The Mighty Ash said:

I think ever since he found the brothers who write it now, its felt more like a parody of the original character.

That's bollocks though. Partridge has undergone a tasteful evolution under the Gibbons' tenure. They have moved way from broader aspects of the character and have made him more well-rounded and sympathetic to an extent. Whereas keeping it all exactly the same would run the risk of him becoming a parody. The books, the specials and MMM contain some of my favourite Partridge ever - which makes the fact I'm not finding this funny even more confusing.

I think it’s something to do with how ridiculous the setup is. Partridge has been around for years now, so there’s no way the BBC would allow him on a prime time show like that after everything he’s done. It just doesn’t ring true any more, whereas all the other stuff he’s done felt more plausible. The way that everyone is treating him with pity, like the mad old uncle, isn’t really working for me either.

It’s a hard one to nail down because, like I say, there’s some great moment to moment stuff in there. Hopefully it’ll find its stride in the next few episodes.

I enjoyed this a lot – particularly the bit where Partridge asks the back row of the audience to budge up and someone falls off the end – but I agree that it feels a bit awkward, and not in a comedy of awkwardness kind of way. For me, I think part of it is that the format strains credibility a bit. I just struggle to believe that he would be on a prime-time show like this, behaving in the way he does. With KMKY, you could believe that this inept chatshow would limp to the end of its run and no further due to contractual obligations, and with MMM, you can believe Partridge could get away with anything on a digital-only radio station that nobody listens to. With this, there’s no way that a guest presenter who fluffed his links continually, and wrote ‘COCKSUCKER’ on a piece of paper and held it up to camera would be asked back next week. I could believe it if it was some obscure daytime show in the Homes Under the Hammer slot with an insane presenter, but not something on BBC1 at prime time.

The inserts are unconvincingly inept, too. Again, you could believe that self-made vanity projects like Scissored Isle would have appalling production values, but if he’s doing it for BBC1, they’d just get him to reshoot bits where something went wrong. I dunno, it feels weird criticising Alan Partridge for not being realistic, but it feels like a One Show pisstake is the wrong vehicle for those kinds of jokes. It works better when its working within the format, i.e. Alan trying to trick the woman who hates him into agreeing with something he said, or the verbal sparring between Alan and Simon Farnaby.

Hold on, Piers Morgan is a horrible cunt of the highest magnitude, life imitating art right?

The way this world is right now I'd expect Jimmy Savilles corpse to get at least a channel 5 prime time slot 'Sleep Over's at Jimmys Place' if they thought for one second they could get away with it.

17 minutes ago, Mystacon said:

I have to say, I couldn’t disagree more with those that feel this is falling a bit flat,  I honestly think this is top drawer Partridge.

I actually like the absurdity of the unrealistic parts (the cocksucker gag, someone in the street shouting “PARTRIDGE YOU WANKER”, the guy getting stabbed and crying out “I’ve got kids!”). Stuff that would never see the light of day in a real show, but all the funnier for it in my view.

It’s the really subtle stuff I love most though. That look of disdain he gives when that old woman says “thank you” into the microphone had me in stitches.

I agree.

I think it's been amazing - and it's definitely something that improves with each watch.  I can watch any Partridge episode despite having seen them umpteen times before and I still laugh, and I think I'll feel the same about This Time in the years to come.

4 hours ago, Nobuo's Organ said:

This country...

(Recalling the reception IAP series 2 got as well)

IIRC that was only really Napoleon who dissented, and he came around quite quickly didn’t he?

21 minutes ago, dr_manhattan^ said:

I wasn’t keen on a first watch of either episode, but having just watched them back to back again today, it’s really good, much better on a second watch and there was so much I missed first time round. 

I've always found that with Partridge.  Probably something to do with how desperate we all are for it to be AMAZING NEW PARTRIDGE.  Whereas it's actually just EXCELLENT NEW PARTRIDGE.

8 minutes ago, catinthehat said:

I've always found that with Partridge.  Probably something to do with how desperate we all are for it to be AMAZING NEW PARTRIDGE.  Whereas it's actually just EXCELLENT NEW PARTRIDGE.

Yes. Apart from the occasional classic episodes, the only time I've really really enjoyed new Partridge on a first viewing has been when I've kind of stumbled across it, which is what happened with Mid Morning Matters and the specials like Scissored Isle.

That said I did love Alpha Papa right from the off.