The Alan Partridge Thread

Listened to Nomad again as I was getting withdrawals after finishing Oasthouse. 

It's amazing, and I couldn't help thinking about how it is written very visually - lots of physical comedy in written form. I decided it might have actually made a better movie than Alpha Papa, which personally I rate as tier-2 Partridge - still funnier than most other things but not on the same level as I'm Alan Partridge or MMM or the two books. 

I wonder if it was originally concieved as a follow-up movie or TV special. Probably not. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I’ve just finished listening to the Oast House stuff, and I’m sure there was a bit when he was reciting the lyrics of Space Cowboy by Steve Miller Band and he calls them Dave Miller Band (Dave Miliband, geddit?!) which I thought was excellent, can anyone confirm?

• 5 months later...
On 14/04/2021 at 21:46, robotattack said:

Incidentally, what happened to 'And Did Those Feet, With Alan Partridge', the travelogue that handily saved Coogan from a driving ban?

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2019/aug/13/alan-partridge-saves-steve-coogan-from-lengthy-driving-ban

In addition, a Simon Schama-style British history series titled And Did Those Feet with Alan Partridge has been frequently reported, although it is yet to see the light.

Little is known about the series beyond that it involves Alan travelling around the UK and meeting people who can enlighten him on the country’s past.

Coogan described a “documentary series” that matches this description without referencing it by name, meaning it’s unclear whether an additional travelogue could be in the pipeline.

He added: “After that, we’re going to do some sort of documentary series… We’ll definitely do a documentary series where Alan is on the road.”

https://www.radiotimes.com/tv/comedy/this-time-with-alan-partridge-season-2-2021/

1 hour ago, mirodo said:

In addition, a Simon Schama-style British history series titled And Did Those Feet with Alan Partridge has been frequently reported, although it is yet to see the light.

Little is known about the series beyond that it involves Alan travelling around the UK and meeting people who can enlighten him on the country’s past.

Coogan described a “documentary series” that matches this description without referencing it by name, meaning it’s unclear whether an additional travelogue could be in the pipeline.

He added: “After that, we’re going to do some sort of documentary series… We’ll definitely do a documentary series where Alan is on the road.”

https://www.radiotimes.com/tv/comedy/this-time-with-alan-partridge-season-2-2021/

Thanks. :) I'm surprised that seemingly nothing has been filmed for it though. The reason Coogan was let off was specifically because he said a load of people wouldn't be able to find alternative work if they couldn't film him driving around the country for a travelogue. I can't imagine Coogan would have purposely deceived the court to avoid a driving ban. -_-

Not because I want to rain on anyone’s parade, but because I want it on the record that: I could not disagree with Steve Coogan more that Alan is more nuanced now than he was when he was a product of the collaborative genius of Steve, Peter Baynham, Armando Ianucchi and others.

Despite misgivings, I couldn’t be happier that Alan lives on now, but it’s unarguable that it’s a broader, less nuanced entity than it used to be. 

That’s it. I just had to get it off my chest. Let the record show what Popo thought. Good vibes only from now on. 

Yeah, I've been watching I'm Alan Partridge again and am just constantly giggling. Tried watching 'This Time' again recently too and it's such a more difficult watch, there are funny moments but generally I'm just smiling and admiring the writing and ideas.

Which reminds me, when I was rewatching  'I'm Alan Patridge' and he's reeling off his 'awful' tv ideas, one of them was 'Cooking in prison'. I found that especially funny as only a few months earlier I was watching 'Gordon behind Bars', a show where TV chef Gordon Ramsey goes into a prison and teaches prisoners how to cook.

I’d go so far as to say This Time is probably the worst thing I’ve seen of Alan. I can only really remember the Irish Alan impersonator from the first series, so I hope this one is a lot better.

26 minutes ago, JPL said:

I’d go so far as to say This Time is probably the worst thing I’ve seen of Alan. I can only really remember the Irish Alan impersonator from the first series, so I hope this one is a lot better.

Like pretty much all Partridge stuff it gets better the more you watch it. 

30 minutes ago, JPL said:

"Chinaman Square"

4 hours ago, JPL said:

There's a lot of great stuff in This Time and it stands up really well to repeat viewing. Plenty of that MMM characterisation finds its way in.