The Alan Partridge Thread

Comrade

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I was looking forward to it, but 4h15m?! That doesn’t even touch the sides in the days of 6 hour plus Chart Musics. The average Le Carré is 12-18hrs and the SF anthology I’m on at the moment is 32 hrs!

If this was an audible freebie I’d say fair enough, but it’s not worth a credit for me. I’ll have polished it off in two commutes.

It's really good so far. If you liked the previous one, it's a very similar setup.

It's so dense, I'm already looking forward to the second listen to spot things I'm missing first time around.

Loved the first two books but had never got around to oasthouse, just a few episodes into the first one and it's great. I can't believe how dense of solid material these audiobooks are, it's crazy just how endless the partridge well is. There has never been any other comedy character that just keeps going and going.

On 21/09/2022 at 14:50, ZOK said:

I was looking forward to it, but 4h15m?! That doesn’t even touch the sides in the days of 6 hour plus Chart Musics. The average Le Carré is 12-18hrs and the SF anthology I’m on at the moment is 32 hrs!

If this was an audible freebie I’d say fair enough, but it’s not worth a credit for me. I’ll have polished it off in two commutes.

There's a season 2 part 2 (or tranche 2 as Alan calls it) coming - another 11 episodes. Alan suggests you might need to spend another credit it to get it though.

Finished this up over the weekend and really enjoyed it. The strongest episodes were the first ones and there weren't many laughs in the later episodes but it's all Alan. The pot-holing and wild-swimming chapters were the funniest. 

43 minutes ago, Silent Runner said:

There's a season 2 part 2 (or tranche 2 as Alan calls it) coming - another 11 episodes. Alan suggests you might need to spend another credit it to get it though.

Finished this up over the weekend and really enjoyed it. The strongest episodes were the first ones and there weren't many laughs in the later episodes but it's all Alan. The pot-holing and wild-swimming chapters were the funniest. 

I may pick it up if it’s ever in a two for one sale, but it’s the opposite of essential listening when you think what you can get for free or for a credit by comparison.

There’s too much good stuff on Audible these days to waste a credit on four hours (!) of Partridge.

I think if you compare it to a book in terms of length it's poor value. But it's so dense you can't appreciate it all first time. I'll probably listen to it 3 or 4 times, so 8 quid seems like decent enough value to me.

Are we really doing longer = better? I’ve not heard the new stuff yet but the Gibbons’ audio Partridge work (the two books and Oasthouse S1) are some of the best Partridge stuff out there and for eight pounds I’d imagine season 2 will a steal. 

I mean eight quid! That’s a lunch! And lunches last much less time than four hours!

1 hour ago, BitterToad said:

Are we really doing longer = better? I’ve not heard the new stuff yet but the Gibbons’ audio Partridge work (the two books and Oasthouse S1) are some of the best Partridge stuff out there and for eight pounds I’d imagine season 2 will a steal. 

I mean eight quid! That’s a lunch! And lunches last much less time than four hours!

No, of course longer doesn’t equal better - but as I observed above, you can get much longer and much better for the same ‘price’, so a four hour bit for one credit is a pisstake as far as I’m concerned.

The original Oasthouse was fairly slight and that was seven hours or so I think.

• 3 weeks later...
On 25/09/2022 at 10:39, Silent Runner said:

I need to listen to track 11 again, but I thought this was a joke? I can't see any mention online about this happening or when it would be out.  Seems shitty to split it and charge the same when it is less than 2/3 the length of the first season.

• 2 weeks later...

I've listened to it all again and actually think there are some great laughs in the later episodes ...the stuff with his new girlfriend is great ("Imagine Liz Truss...") - the caving and wild swimming adventures. Grant Shapps...

And I assumed the stuff about a second tranche was genuine, hope so at least, and certainly wouldn't begrudge spending another credit on it.

The pot-holing part was so funny, I was walking round Sainsbury's listening to it and had to stop myself from full on giggling.  And the confrontation with van man! :D And his laminated rules of the river... oh god, I'm gonna have to listen again, so funny.