Project Zero 2 remake

Mine arrived yesterday from Amazon for 20 quid. Played some last night and am in to chapter two. Scary as anything already. Loving the radio messages from the Wiimote and the whole thing just reeks of terror. I wish they still made games like this. :(

That's the thing - true survival horror has been relegated to a couple of (brilliant) indie games and then this, the last bastion of Japanese survival horror. The PS2 was overflowing with games like Clock Tower, Silent Hill 2, Resi CVX, that one with the guard dog and of course the Project Zeroes. Over this generation the genre has lost its way, focusing more and more on weapons, action set-pieces and hordes of zombies, and neglecting the stuff that made us shit our pants in the first place, atmosphere and chills.

Aside from PZ, REmake was the last great console survival horror IMO.

Well I'm wandering through chapter two now and find the whole experience nicely chilling so far. I like the vulnerability you feel as the main character, no weapons and a realistic pace of movement. The game is packed with atmosphere and a constant sense of dread. Loving it so far!

• 2 weeks later...

This is great but I'm not finding it as scary as I'd like; Amnesia and Dead Space put the shits right up me but this isn't having that much of an effect. Fighting the ghosts seems to be more of a slog than a terrifying confrontation. I love how bleak it all is, though, it reminds me of Siren: Blood Curse in tone and setting.

Amnesia I can understand, but Dead Space, fun though it is, is pure schlock. If it was a film, it'd be a Paul WS Anderson joint, all shrieking, turned-up-to-eleven orchestral stabs in lieu of any lingering scares. It's not the kind of thing that buzzes uncomfortably around your head afterward. PZ2 got under my skin far more.

This is great but I'm not finding it as scary as I'd like; Amnesia and Dead Space put the shits right up me but this isn't having that much of an effect. Fighting the ghosts seems to be more of a slog than a terrifying confrontation. I love how bleak it all is, though, it reminds me of Siren: Blood Curse in tone and setting.

How far in are you? HAVE YOU REACHED THE DOLLMAKER'S HOUSE YET

Amnesia I can understand, but Dead Space, fun though it is, is pure schlock. If it was a film, it'd be a Paul WS Anderson joint, all shrieking, turned-up-to-eleven orchestral stabs in lieu of any lingering scares. It's not the kind of thing that buzzes uncomfortably around your head afterward. PZ2 got under my skin far more.

It was the atmosphere of Dead Space that got me going, the clanks and roars and music, especially when there was nothing around but I still dreaded walking down each empty corridor with those shivering strings and wobbly kettle drums. It just goes to show how subjective fear really is*. Also, the Exorcist was one of the funniest movies I've ever seen.

*Perhaps I have a fear of orchestras.

How far in are you? HAVE YOU REACHED THE DOLLMAKER'S HOUSE YET

I'm not sure. I've just been through a house with a puzzle that had dolls in it, but I don't know if that's the dollmaker's house or not. The Kurosawa house, I think, chapter 4 - 6ish.

How long is this game? Playing in short bursts because of how tense it can make you feel as well as save points being spread out, at least at the start.

Any tips for photographing ghosts? I assume you just center the lens on them till the circle is red and filled and then snap away.

From what I remember of my PS2 playthrough a lot of the scares tend to come from turning your growing familiarity with the setting on its head.. Just as you are getting comfortable (or slightly less terrified) to enter rooms/corridors you have previously visited etc it will tend to throw something at you to screw you up.

...a bit like the introduction of those bastard Crimson Headed Zombies to Resi Remake

How long is this game? Playing in short bursts because of how tense it can make you feel as well as save points being spread out, at least at the start.

Any tips for photographing ghosts? I assume you just center the lens on them till the circle is red and filled and then snap away.

It's quite a big game, think on a par with your standard resident evil. Obviously just depends on how short your short bursts actually are.

As for combat/photo tips, it's very much a risk reward thing, how close dare you let the buggers get before taking the shot.. But as a general rule it's as you said, just track as best you can and then snap once red. Once you level up the camera it helps a lot too.

I guess it really is subjective - the ghosts and general horrid atmosphere in this are on a completely different level to any corporeal beasties like the necromorphs, for me at least. This game has stayed with me long after turning the Wii off and has been the direct cause, if not of nightmares exactly, then of bizarre dreams where I have to photograph Monica Belluci in the scenes in which she appears in Irreversible without letting her look directly at the screen (or my camera) lest she reach out and kill me.

Don't ask. I've never even seen Irreversible.

Anyway, finished this last night. Saw the daaaarrrk ending coming a mile off but I hear there are several other endings to go for on subsequent play throughs. Ha ha, yeah right. Back on the shelf it goes.

Amazing game. Some controller issues. Genuinely hated every minute of it. 8/10

Oh, I really really want to like this game more than I am doing but it's quite, quite shonky in places.

I made it through the dollmaker's house last night and it was pretty creepy with a few good shocks but I still didn't find it particularly scary, which is a shame as I love getting the piss scared out of me by horror games. I'm really getting fed up with having to fight both the ghosts and the controls at the same time; whoever thought that mapping 'escape from the ghost' and 'do a 180 turn' to the same wiimote waggle* needs a proper drubbing for the ensuing Benny Hill escapades, and likewise the guy/girl that decided that the game should cut to an entirely abitrary camera angle and invert the brightness when you get nobbled so you can't see what you're doing needs um... another drubbing. A worse one.

Also the ghost fights have all been very similar so far: see ghost, run away very slowly, turn round, wait until they're close, SNAP, oh crap I missed it, repeat until dead again. It feels a bit tedious that it makes me think I'm not even playing it properly, I expected more variety in the encounters.

But still, the story and atmosphere drives me on and I can't wait to see what happens next. I'd happily shell out for a Wii U sequel with the pad being the camera and that, as long as they smarten up the controls a bit.

PS I'm not trying to piss anyone off with these impressions, I just needed to vent a little disappointment, like a fart in the night.

Care to put them up in spoiler tags Meh? I don't think I can bring myself to play through it again so soon and I thought the default ending I got was dark enough...

There's the one where you look into the pit where Malice came from, and see all the dead souls in torrrment, and the lass goes blind from looking in; then there's the one where she has to kill her sister, which ends in a beautiful/sad scene of her running the fuck away, and her sister joins the rest of the crimson butterflies or somesuch. I believe there's a one where the sister (possessed) beckons you to follow her at some point in the game if you do something in the wrong order - and then she kills you horribly or something if you do. I'm sure there's others, but I'm not exactly sure what they are. The killing-the-sister-by-strangling one is so sad.

Completely legendary game.

Nerd question: get Wii or PS2 version?

From the sounds of it, the Wii controls add a lot of frustration (surprise!). So, PS2 then.

There's the one where you look into the pit where Malice came from, and see all the dead souls in torrrment, and the lass goes blind from looking in; then there's the one where she has to kill her sister, which ends in a beautiful/sad scene of her running the fuck away, and her sister joins the rest of the crimson butterflies or somesuch. I believe there's a one where the sister (possessed) beckons you to follow her at some point in the game if you do something in the wrong order - and then she kills you horribly or something if you do. I'm sure there's others, but I'm not exactly sure what they are. The killing-the-sister-by-strangling one is so sad.

Completely legendary game.

From the sounds of it, the Wii controls add a lot of frustration (surprise!). So, PS2 then.

That's the dark ending I got.

Having to strangle your sister in the end and have her turn into one of the crimson butterflies. I knew it had to be done from about halfway through the game but it was surprisingly moving nonetheless. The ending theme that plays over the scene is ace too.

It's a shame that Staplehead isn't enjoying it as much as I did but I think I agree with the control issues - there absolutely was no reason to have dodge set to waggle or moving the camera set to tilting the remote, silly decisions. The game is fantastic despite these issues though and the terror never really lets up. Fighting the ghosts just requires good timing and the learning of patterns, just like any good game boss.

I can understand the criticism of the dodge, but moving the camera with remote tilts is clearly designed to be awkward to make you feel more vulnerable and uncomfortable. It'd be easy to have it as just point-to-aim, but that'd ease some of the tension as you'd be able to line up your shot much more easily. Unless, I guess, they made it really twitchy so you had to keep as still as possible in the face of these ghosts lunging at you.

Either way, the Wii U controller couldn't be more made for this series if it tried. (Also, an x-ray machine in Trauma Center, but that's for another thread.)

• 2 weeks later...

So it FINALLY arrived!

Started playing it last night, and I'm about 1 hour in.

Lights off, girlfriend was watching too.

We both thought it was a bit pants, and not particularly scary... Does it get scarier?

You're playing it with someone else in the room, you utter fool. Don't go into it expecting shit to just jump out at you. PLAY IT ALONE, with the lights off, and don't sit on the edge of your seat preparing to be terrified, which it sounds like you're doing.

Yeah, it's a creepiness that gets under your skin as opposed to shock frights a la Resi. It starts you off at quite a sedate pace anyway, as mentioned before, and genuinely gets more horrible the further you get in. Wait until you enter the Kurosawa and Kiryu houses...

And lose the girlfriend. ;)

Also, just noticed Rudderless' good point above - I can grant that the game would have been way too easy if the there was full free-aim with the remote. It's not supposed to be a FPS.