IGNORED

DJ Sacks weekly appreciation thread:Mystical Ninja

DJ Sack

mystical_ninja4.jpgninja_goemon_profilethumb.jpg

Fight on.. fight on...

never giving up

lets start our journey as we whistle along

Going now

Ive had this for a number of months but never played it, but i did today and wow it is great.

From the fantastic intro with a really cool, yet cheesy jap song to the impact battles.

The graphics are not that brillint, not even as good as mario 64, and considering this game came out a while after is a bit poor, but everything looks nice and fun and colourful. Theres LOTS of invisable walls, but well never mind.

The game play is a cross between mario 64 and zelda. It involves a lot of platforming and killing things but theres also some tiny puzzels to unlock the next room and right bosses.

The impact battels are great though, first person robot boxing is the best way to describe it. Grab the other robot with a grapperling hook, pummel the buttons till he's in your face and punch him in the head. Great fun.

The music through out is great though, its so clear for an n64 game, and very unique and japanese. It really feels like a manga with some of the music playing, it needs to be heard to appreciate it.

The dialogue is funny too and really pokes fun at itself. Mentioning about saving and how certain characters wish their name was on the box so they could be in the game longer. The story line is just total balls as well, a flying ufo changes a tower into a european building and it all goes from there.

The chracters have really cool faces as well, you dont see them much but they have changing expressions.

Ive never played a goeman game before but this is brilliant, its so funny and really just screams japanese at every chance. Its hard to find now but give it a play, its brilliant! If you dont play it, at least download the music.

Never played the Snes version(I'll be sure to give it a go as soon as), but the N64 game was ace. So colourfull, with some great characters. Can anyone tell me what happened if you collected all the cat dolls? Only played through it the once and didn't manage the feat before my mate took it back.

Finnaly, a thread on the bestest game series ever!! :P

Speaking of the N64 version, my personal favourite, looking back on it now, it reminds you just how large and expansive it was for an N64 game made in the pre-OOT 1997. However, Konami have a long way to go before I forgive them for what they've done to the franchise. :wub:

Yes! My favourite 'DJ Sack Appreciation thread' yet...

Loved the SNES version, my second favourite SNES games after Earthbound (a recent discovery) which I suppose shares a similar sense of humour, but I haven't played this N64 game... something I am going to rectify straight away, I'm off to get the rom.

Yes! My favourite 'DJ Sack Appreciation thread' yet...

Loved the SNES version, my second favourite SNES games after Earthbound (a recent discovery) which I suppose shares a similar sense of humour, but I haven't played this N64 game... something I am going to rectify straight away, I'm off to get the rom.

Make sure you've got a decent control method, one section requires close to pixel-perfect jumping, but thankfully it's only that once.

I can't believe someone hasn't yet pointed out the mistake in the title. (I.e., that it' s spelled "Goemon" and not "Goeman." The series of games actually began with a semi-parody of old Edo-period Japan with the famous Japanese thief Goemon in the main role. Or, to be more exact, a character inspired by him. So now you know. :wub:

(Of course, the series then quickly changed into something all of its own, but that's another matter.)

And:

Can I be the first to say...

PULL-AZ-IMA!!!

Technically, shouldn't it be

"PU-RAZU-MA!!!"?

Regardless, Mystical Ninja: Starring Goemon was truly a superb game, and rather underrated, I feel. I remember especially the excellent music in the game: modern tunes played with traditional Japanese instruments. The main game and the script were great as well.

I absolutely loved this game. It made me laugh out loud on more than one occasion. Aargh, why must I be at work and not at home where I could play it right now.

I used to play the game from the beginning just to hear the Impact theme and watch the fantastic cut scene. Does anyone know if that music is around on the internet?

D'oh, you beat me to it Uncle C!

I loved this game. At the time I was sharing a house with my mate, and we used to sit around playing it together. When he was playing I used to work out the incidental music on my guitar (I can still remember bits) and when my girlfriend came 'round she used to copy the dance moves of the statues in Prrrrasma man's shop.

Weirdest ending ever as well :wub:

D'oh, you beat me to it Uncle C!

I loved this game. At the time I was sharing a house with my mate, and we used to sit around playing it together. When he was playing I used to work out the incidental music on my guitar (I can still remember bits) and when my girlfriend came 'round she used to copy the dance moves of the statues in Prrrrasma man's shop.

Weirdest ending ever as well :wub:

So let me get this straight:

Your friend was playing the game, you were jamming along to the music on guitar and your girlfriend was dancing like characters in the game.

Your place sounds fucking CRAZY!!11!1!!

Great game though. Best music of all time... Update please, Konami.

... I used to play the game from the beginning just to hear the Impact theme and watch the fantastic cut scene. Does anyone know if that music is around on the internet?

The music is definitely on the internet: SPC files (for the SNES titles, of course) and MIDIs are easy enough to find, but the original music for the N64 games is rather elusive. I remember having MP3 files of two dungeon tracks, dowloaded using a certain program that was used for sharing music files across the internet* a few years ago, but I wouldn't know if they're readily available anymore...

*If you catch my drift.

• 3 years later...