IGNORED

Just ordered two games

qloudZ

Now, are both these games addictive?

I'm really after some hard games that are annoyingly addictive and keep me coming back for more.

Havn't bought a GameCube game (bar MK:DD, natch) in ages, so I don't know what's out or if its any good.

Guess I'm trying to keep off the PC more.

Any recommendations next to these two?

VJ is OK-ish. Its a bit boring (i.e. consists of nothing more than holding the L button and smashing punch and kick whilst jumping), and it seems as shallow as Super Smash Bros. The odd puzzle, such as the bus one, provides a nice, if short lived respite from the button bashing. Its dead hard too, so you might like it if thats what you're after.

Ikaruga is stupidly hard, and is more of a memory test than a true shooter. 2 player co-op can be fun as you push each other into oncoming fire.

Both games are essentially centred around building combos, from what I can gather, but to tell the truth, thats not how I've played them. I've just tried to complete the fuckers, and failed miserably.

In total, I've probably played them both for about 4 hours before tiring of them. IMO, 2 of the most over-rated games in years.

I find both Ikaruga and VJ great titles. Ikaruga especially, is one of the most rewarding games I've played. I'm useless at it [of course!] and have never come close to beating the game on one credit, but I find always need "just one more go."

Viewtiful Joe is groovy, learning all of his moves and mastering Adult mode is where the games best features shine through. Joe is one of the coolest characters to grace a videogame in years too...

Guest Cecil McBee

My tuppence on Ikaruga:

It was the last truly amazing game released. The fact that it was created by 3 people is irrelevant. Shame the PAL GC version's got a framerate issue.

VJ is OK-ish. Its a bit boring (i.e. consists of nothing more than holding the L button and smashing punch and kick whilst jumping), and it seems as shallow as Super Smash Bros. The odd puzzle, such as the bus one, provides a nice, if short lived respite from the button bashing. Its dead hard too, so you might like it if thats what you're after.

Ikaruga is stupidly hard, and is more of a memory test than a true shooter. 2 player co-op can be fun as you push each other into oncoming fire.

Both games are essentially centred around building combos, from what I can gather, but to tell the truth, thats not how I've played them. I've just tried to complete the fuckers, and failed miserably.

In total, I've probably played them both for about 4 hours before tiring of them. IMO, 2 of the most over-rated games in years.

Seems slightly odd to me that you admit to not having played Viewtiful Joe in way its been designed to be played, which as you quite rightly state is for combo's and rating's. But then complain that the game is boring and nothing more than "holding the L button and smashing punch and kick whilst jumping."

Its a bit like me saying that Elite was boring after flying around just shooting stuff and never bothering with the trading side.

If you're going to pass judgement on a game i'd at least play it properly first. (Unless of course you fancy a job at Edge :wub:)

Viewtiful Joe is brilliant, pretty challenging and looks superb. A very refreshing and unique game, there's really nothing like it.

Ikaruga - well, I don't really like it a lot. It's definitely a good shooter, and it's hard as nails. Shooters just can't occupy me for a long time, and Ikaruga really needs a lot of time if you want to get far.

They're both great IMO.

You get as much out of them as you put in, e.g. figuring out massive combos and trying to play them stylishly as opposed to just shooting/hitting anything that moves. (and they both have easy modes if you get too wound up playing them).

What exactly is the problem with PAL Ikaruga frame rate ?

I was planning on ordering that myself for some christmas shooty fun.

There is nothing wrong with PAL Ikaruga frame rate.

I assume the original poster is referring to the "frame skipping" technique to convert the game from 60Hz NTSC to 50Hz PAL.

In order to avoid the slowdown between the switch (and to keep the net rankings fair) the conversion is done using a frame skipping technique.

Apparently you can see where the dropped frames are if you look closely enough, but this will not appear the same as frame rate problems. EDIT: as the above poster said, every sixth frame is dropped.

There are also another couple of minor issues with the PAL version - homing missile behaviour is different from the NTSC version.

Anyhow, I wouldnt let the above trouble you too much, if you have never seen or played the NTSC version the frame skipping is unlikely to bother you at all.

EDIT: Since I just uploaded it, and I cant help showing off, to see a video of me playing ch1 in prototype mode, see here. It is a 136chain, and 4.4M score. Pretty much a perfect proto run (16.1MB).

I found both Ikaruga and Viewtiful Joe extremely disappointing, after the praise this forum gave them.

I don't.

Ikaruga is my all time favourite videogame, and that's saying something. It's perfection completely in my eyes, everytime it loads I get a special feeling only reserved for other magical titles like Zelda, Mario, Halo & the Giana Sisters (I kid you not).

Put quite simply, I can understand other people's dissapointment with Ikaruga. But it's only becuase you don't fully understand it's whole implication and ethic. It's zen like imo.

In a sense, Ika and VJ are similar - as they are both brilliant unsung titles, they have not been given the credit and recognition in the mainstream media that they really deserve. But then again, what rarely does?

Speaking of VJ, did anyone see RI:SE this morning? Iain Lee and the girl were doing a playtest of some games. PGR2 and THUG were played and reviewed etc, in an expected 1 minute time limit.

Then he picked up VJ and Counter Strike, flashed the boxes to the camera, said how much he wanted CS, then said "Oh, and this. Viewtiful Joe.... I haven't played it but, I've looked at the box... and it looks a bit rubbish, so you might want to avoid it."

For someone who I thought was supposed to have a genuine interest in videogames, seemed a bit twatish really.

Speaking of VJ, did anyone see RI:SE this morning? Iain Lee and the girl were doing a playtest of some games. PGR2 and THUG were played and reviewed etc, in an expected 1 minute time limit.

Then he picked up VJ and Counter Strike, flashed the boxes to the camera, said how much he wanted CS, then said "Oh, and this. Viewtiful Joe.... I haven't played it but, I've looked at the box... and it looks a bit rubbish, so you might want to avoid it."

For someone who I thought was supposed to have a genuine interest in videogames, seemed a bit twatish really.

Yeah, I did.

I'm a big fan of Counter-Strike and since I'm awaiting VJ I really wanted him to slap them on.

But no, he never.

Just played another fucking Tony Hawks game and PGR2.

shouldn't you have asked this before you ordered them?

Valid point.

However, I've always wanted Ikaruga since I saw the Japanese version for the Dreamcast. People have always spoke highly of it, too. So I was bound to buy it anyways.

VJ I just bought out of reflex. :wub: