New Kings of Leon album

Rudderless

So yeah, I kind of quite like Kings of Leon, even their last album where they became popular and therefore Not Cool Any More (if they ever were LOL etc.).

Listened to the new one, Come Around Sundown, four or five times through now, and I'm really not sure about it. They've seemingly managed the rare trick of not showing enough ambition but tinkering with the formula too much, so you've got an album seemingly free of any standout tunes that doesn't really go anywhere new musically. I quite like the single Radioactive - ignoring the frankly embarrassing video for now - and there are a couple of other tunes I'm quite partial to, but it's all too mid-tempo again, and despite hints of new directions on a couple of tracks it seems like they're not quite sure where they want to go next.

It's growing on me a little bit, but it's certainly lacking a couple of killer singles, and they just don't seem to have the fire of their early stuff. Aha Shake seems a long way away. Hmmmm.

Anyway, anyone else been listening to it?

Nothings really stuck out so far on it for me either, i saw them live in August and was a bit meh about it all, just seemed a bit :mellow:

I quite like Pyro, Mary, Beach Side and Pickup Truck, but that's just it - I quite like them. I'm not loving anything, really. Radioactive's got a glorious chorus, but the verses are a bit nondescript. Maybe it's a grower, but it's certainly taking a while if so.

It's the kind of album where you've no idea what the next single's going to be. Not that every album should be made up of a load of potential chart smashes, but KoL have always been capable of writing hits and there's nothing on here which is obviously single material. Maybe Back Down South, I guess.

The co-writer dude helped them on their first two albums, much less so afterwards - from what I gather, he had a big hand in most of the tunes on the first one, and on the second they started to do more themselves. So I don't think it's that. They're perhaps just unsure where to go next and in a bit of a holding pattern. There are some decent melodies here, but nothing really catchy or radio-friendly. Again, that needn't be a bad thing, but equally, there's nothing memorably different. It's not bad as such, just slightly meh. I imagine those who hated Sex on Fire would like this a little more than the last one, even if it's unlikely to convert any non-believers.

This album just draaaags on.

I know what you mean, and it's not even that long. No song is longer than 4:45, and that's the last one (and one of the better tracks). There are very few changes of pace - each song is medium-to-slow, and even the quickest one is no Velvet Snow.

I feel the same way about it, all just sort of ok for the most part, bordering on bland.

It's weird though, I've found myself singing little bits of the songs and I've listened to it a lot considering I'd call it an average-to-poor album. Not anywhere near even approaching the mind-smashing brilliance of the early stuff, obviously, and even a significant drop down from the more average last album.

Was listening to this at work and thought it was very average. Only By The Night , which I liked, was sometimes right at the tipping point of turning into that commercial MOR sound. The new album plays it too safe and lacks dynamism, energy and bite, almost like their hearts weren't really into it. Too many similar sounding songs that are hard to distinguish from one another makes it a bland listen. Really liked the first song, though.

It's dull. I loved Youth and Young Manhood and Ah-Hah Shake Heartbreak but the last three albums have been really boring. I know its a cliche for people to go off bands when they become popular but really, they have lost what made them great.

It sounds like they want to follow in the footsteps of U2 and I don't know if that's their personal choice or their record labels, but it's not a thrilling sound. I'm all for bands changing direction to try something new but I don't think this is a good one: there's no energy like there was when they just got going.

It sounds like they want to follow in the footsteps of U2 and I don't know if that's their personal choice or their record labels, but it's not a thrilling sound. I'm all for bands changing direction to try something new but I don't think this is a good one: there's no energy like there was when they just got going.

Yeah I agree. I read an article after Because of the Times that said they had supported U2 on tour and had learnt some things from them. The last three albums have been bland stadium rock to my ears and nowhere near as good as the first two. I haven't really enjoyed them live since early 2006 (Lincoln University Students Union having seen them twice before at Rock City in Nottingham).

I know this sounds like muisical snobbery (I suppose it is) but if I wanted a U2 album I'd buy a U2 album.*

*For the record I don't own any U2 albums but will admit to liking Achtung Baby.

So yeah, I kind of quite like Kings of Leon, even their last album where they became popular and therefore Not Cool Any More (if they ever were LOL etc.).

I always thought they were fine, I didn't love them but I do own all their albums and I was quite keen to see them at Reading last year where they were headlining. Easily one of the worst performances I've ever seen - they bollocked the audience for only coming to see them to hear their recent two hits, culminating in (sort-of) throwing a guitar at the crowd and huffing off. My two reactions were:

1) It's a festival. Of course the audience aren't all fans of you.

2) I don't like your new songs are cack compared to the stuff on your first album, which is why you are here.

3) Dicks.

They then performed at Leeds, to a crowd that seemed more or less identical were "amazing" and they loved them and suchlike. Neither are what I want from a rock band, so I am now "cool" as I don't like them. Everything they've done since has helped me stick with this stance.