IGNORED

2012 London Olympics

djbhammer

Laura Trott was the real heroine last night in the velodrome (taking nothing away from the beast that is Sir Chris). Her event being the mix of stamina, speed and tactics is not entirely dissimilar to the heptatholon, and it was dominated by her. It was also refreshing to hear her talk straightforwardly how her parents were the ones making the sacrifices of time and money for her.

Anyone know how the riders instruct the horses to make the various moves in the dressage? Extraordinary self control there by such large animals.

The handball was incredible last night. Despite most of the crowd freely admitting in the pre-game call and response stuff they'd never seen a game before there was plenty of atmosphere throughout, probably helped by a huge French contingent and some very noisy Montenegrins. Another factor is that it's so easy to follow - there's no confusing technical rules or offsides for the layman to struggle with. The more I think about it the more of a mystery it is that it's not big over here. It'd be easy to get a game going in basically any school in the country and it's infinitely more exciting than something like netball.

Anyway, couldn't have picked a better match to watch. France seemed the more potent attacking force and were basically scoring a will but Montenegro just kind of hung in until the end where all the penalty madness occured. Show literally anyone that three minutes or some of the fast break goals and they'd love handball.

Thought the park was impressive. The stadia seem to have more thought put into them than the concourses and stuff though. It'd be interesting to see what it's like without so many people in, but it didn't seem as picturesque as the Barcelona Olympic areas at the moment. The staff were great and there was some quality examples of misuse of the loud hailers. Big up the Jamaican volunteer toasting and singing to the crowds. A great experience overall. Really impressed.

My day at the Olympics yesterday was fantastic. Highlights were watching Trott's victory in Park Live; seeing the gold medal winner in the men's discus running the 100m hurdles on his victory lap; and cheering a British athlete through to second place in the 800m heat (it really was as if the crowd lifted him over the line, I think he was in 4th or 5th, then a huge roar from the crowd gave him a visible boost to push hard to the finish, he seemed to acknowledge that to the camera after the race, too).

It's quite hard to follow what's going on in the stadium at times, with up to 4 events happening simultaneously. They do a good job of trying to tell you when a GB athlete is doing something. There was a point where the athletes being introduced for a race looked a bit confused when one seemingly got a huge roar, but it was actually for the brit in the high jump. Also, the most confusing bit was the high jump results, where nobody seemed to realise that the brit got joint bronze (with two others) and wondered who the man running round the stadium with a Union Jack was (especially as he wasn't running round with the other high jumpers). I also felt sorry for the British hammer thrower, as he didn't get much of a mention, and seemed to quietly fall out of the competition.

I was on the very back row (in a seat in line with the steps, so had the most legroom in the place). I was also amazed how great the view was from the back, the chap next to me had been down the front earlier, and said he had a fantastic view of the triple-jump, but couldn't really see what was going on elsewhere really. I'll try and sort pics, I was obviously miles from the action, but had a decent zoom lens (though the tiny screen on my Canon means I couldn't tell if the photos were actually any good).

Edit: Oh, and watching the end of the dressage in Park Live was a interesting experience, you could just sense a thousand people all thinking "what the fuck is this shit?" at the same time, but then everyone was still happy to cheer for the gold, despite not having the slightest clue as to what they had just watched, or what made it better than what the other horses had done. They also had the synchronised swimming on, which was similarly WTFey, with two girls with obscene amounts of eye makeup seemingly having spasms in a pool for 5 minutes, whilst the commentator went to great extents to point out how athletic they are, and how hard they train, over and over again.

There was a point where the athletes being introduced for a race looked a bit confused when one seemingly got a huge roar, but it was actually for the brit in the high jump.

That happened on the TV coverage too, it threw Michael Johnson right off his flow.

have to say after years of taking the piss out of germans I worked with handball is my favourite find of this olympics, bit annoying for me as I worked in Kiel (who are a bit like the Barca of handball it would seem) and I always turned down tickets to go watch it.

will look for it on eurosport after the olympics as its so fast paced and physical with a high degree of skill

footballers could learn a thing or 2 as the players take huge whacks and go down on a rock hard floor

Oh, and the noise in the stadium is amazing. I can't imagine what it would have been like on the night of three golds. It really doesn't come across on the TV just how loud it is, or how the roars move around the stadium. Also the cries of "oooooh" whenever the British high jumper failed to make his jump.

Also, add me to the Laura Trott fan-club mailing list, please. Lovely girl, fantastic achievement.

Anyway, couldn't have picked a better match to watch. France seemed the more potent attacking force and were basically scoring a will but Montenegro just kind of hung in until the end where all the penalty madness occured. Show literally anyone that three minutes or some of the fast break goals and they'd love handball.

Was the HUGE France number 24 playing? She was immense against the Norwegians.

I agree on handball. It's great to watch and seems very easy to follow. It would be great to get kids playing this sport.

So we (GB) can't put or best riders in every event and win. After Beijing they also made it so there's only one entry per country per event to stop the British 1-2s.

It seems so unfair they do this in the cycling, yet let Phelps and Lochte clean up in the swimming, and the men's 100m final has a Jamaican 1-2, and a total of three Jamaicans and three Americans in it (and similar circumstances in the women's 100m).

How come on sport has these entry limitations and others don't?

Oh, and whilst on the cycling, I listened to Hoy's victory on 5 Live when going in to the stadium, but didn't watch it until on the train home. Fucking hell, that was some victory. The guy's a true legend. I half expected his thighs to explode after powering round for such a distance.

I don't remember Ben Johnson but I've watched his race on YouTube, it's interesting that it looked like he destroyed everyone but the time 9.79 would only of got him joint 3rd this year

I remember watching it.

Lewis should never have been there either, as he tested positive for three banned substances at the USA Olympic trials. And then there's Christie, another that picked up a drugs ban. The 1988 Olympic steroid race.

It seems so unfair they do this n the cycling, yet let Phelps and Lochte clean up in the swimming, and the men's 100m final has a Jamaican 1-2, and a total of three Jamaicans and three Americans in it (and similar circumstances in the women's 100m).

How come on sport has these entry limitations and others don't?

The IOC takes it's guidelines from the individual sports governing body. In cycling previous to this Olympics there was no such restriction. That was brought in by the UCI after Beijing.

Lewis should never have been there either, as he tested positive for three banned substances at the USA Olympic trials. And then there's Christie, another that picked up a drugs ban. The 1988 Olympic steroid race.

Christies ban came in 1999, and at the time it was ridiculous. . He actually tested postive in 1988. For Nurofen.