2012 London Olympics

djbhammer

My day at the Olympics yesterday was fantastic. Highlights were watching Trott's victory in Park Live; seeing the gold medal winner in the men's discus running the 100m hurdles on his victory lap; and cheering a British athlete through to second place in the 800m heat (it really was as if the crowd lifted him over the line, I think he was in 4th or 5th, then a huge roar from the crowd gave him a visible boost to push hard to the finish, he seemed to acknowledge that to the camera after the race, too).

It's quite hard to follow what's going on in the stadium at times, with up to 4 events happening simultaneously. They do a good job of trying to tell you when a GB athlete is doing something. There was a point where the athletes being introduced for a race looked a bit confused when one seemingly got a huge roar, but it was actually for the brit in the high jump. Also, the most confusing bit was the high jump results, where nobody seemed to realise that the brit got joint bronze (with two others) and wondered who the man running round the stadium with a Union Jack was (especially as he wasn't running round with the other high jumpers). I also felt sorry for the British hammer thrower, as he didn't get much of a mention, and seemed to quietly fall out of the competition.

I was on the very back row (in a seat in line with the steps, so had the most legroom in the place). I was also amazed how great the view was from the back, the chap next to me had been down the front earlier, and said he had a fantastic view of the triple-jump, but couldn't really see what was going on elsewhere really. I'll try and sort pics, I was obviously miles from the action, but had a decent zoom lens (though the tiny screen on my Canon means I couldn't tell if the photos were actually any good).

Edit: Oh, and watching the end of the dressage in Park Live was a interesting experience, you could just sense a thousand people all thinking "what the fuck is this shit?" at the same time, but then everyone was still happy to cheer for the gold, despite not having the slightest clue as to what they had just watched, or what made it better than what the other horses had done. They also had the synchronised swimming on, which was similarly WTFey, with two girls with obscene amounts of eye makeup seemingly having spasms in a pool for 5 minutes, whilst the commentator went to great extents to point out how athletic they are, and how hard they train, over and over again.

My day at the Olympics was as above. Same day, same events!

The noise in the stadium is incredible when it gets going. Had good seats (2nd row of balcony) overlooking the 200m start line and high jump. Shame they didn't get across that Robbie Grabarz had bronzed. He did just look like the Brit who got fourth but still fancied a run round!

Great to go and special mention for the volunteers and Transport for London - getting from my seat in the stadium to my seat on the train at Waterloo could not have been less hassle/no queues, which is crazy considering the sheer number of people using the same system at that time.

Just remembered something else I noticed yesterday, and that is how weird it is seeing someone operating a steadicam. They have this huge camera unit, which just seems to be floating in front of them. Looks really odd.

Good crowd for the Irish boxer, one of the loudest so far, next to the stadium. Well, a good crowd plus David Cameron.

Hold on a minute. The man with one of the most punchable and punch-worthy faces, was in the same room as some of the people most able to deliver face punches. How did this not end well?

Edit: Just to be clear, I'm talking about Cameron, not Graham.

Haha, someone on Something Awful just outed the 110m Hurdles winner as an officer in their WoW guild.

He seemed like a remarkably nice, smart guy*. I suppose being called Aries makes you have to be good at running.

*This can be said for most of the athletes from the US college system.