IGNORED

2012 London Olympics

djbhammer

Went in tonight to watch GB get comprehensively outplayed in the hockey: I don't think they had a shot in the first half, although perhaps it was "the band" putting them off.

Came out at 9.30 and wandered though the park taking photos that won't come out; but happily on the pre-midnight train home, so work tomorrow won't be as bad as it could have been.

Quite glad that for most of our Olympics trips we've not seen GB players or teams: the atmosphere was much more like a standard sporting event than the festival atmosphere at the handball, swimming, athletics, football or beach volleyball...

Australia are only 8 points behind the US deep in the third of the men's basketball quarter-final and they've had a significant cutting edge after half time. I'll be surprised if they keep pressure on considering their overall shooting stats but it's been closer than I thought it would be.

If Team GB only did events with boats or bikes, they'd still be 3rd in the medals table.

Especially impressive when you consider that most of these events (e.g. track cycling, rowing and sailing) only allow one entry per nation, unlike things such as swimming and athletics, where nations can have multiple attempts to win gold.

Seems unfair that we are only allowed one person per team for the likes of cycling but for the likes of swimming you can multiple entrants and, because there are so many swimming medals on offer, individual competitors are able to rack up stacks of medals.

Maybe we should try and improve our swimming talent rather than greet and moan about being limited in the sports we've done well in. Australia traditionally do well in the pool and had a bit of a nightmare this time around.

Everyone knows the entry rules going in. We also had multiple track and swimming entrants. They just didn't medal as much as some other nations.

Seems unfair that we are only allowed one person per team for the likes of cycling but for the likes of swimming you can multiple entrants and, because there are so many swimming medals on offer, individual competitors are able to rack up stacks of medals.

It seems especially unfair as it seems to mostly be the events Team GB are good at that have these criteria, and the change in the track cycling rules seemed to be deliberately to stop Team GB winning so many medals.

It seems especially unfair as it seems to mostly be the events Team GB are good at that have these criteria, and the change in the track cycling rules seemed to be deliberately to stop Team GB winning so many medals.

Well yes, but then it is a bit ridiculous ;)

Sorry Laura Trott fans: she's just announced she's dating Jason Kenny.

I felt a great disturbance in the Force... as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced. I fear something terrible has happened.

Sorry Laura Trott fans: she's just announced she's dating Jason Kenny.

I'm sort of stunned this news managed to make it onto The Times breaking news feed - "It's Official" (see twitter for all updates).

Probably just a ploy from British cycling to create some uber cycling offspring.

They did try to pair up Hoy and Pendleton, but tests showed that any offspring would pedal so fast the bike would just explode.

Is that why they were so pissed off when she got with her coach?