IGNORED

2012 London Olympics

djbhammer

Jamaica are amazing! It does make me think, again, that it's a shame they are able to do a 1 2 3 here but we're not allowed to in the velodrome! Boo!

Nor on the lake.

A friend on Facebook made the point that the sports GB excels at, which also have restrictive entry requirements (cycling, rowing, sailing - though we're not doing as well in the latter this time round), tend to be the ones where spending a lot of money on the sport helps you win, and so restricting countries to one entry helps level the playing field. It's an interesting point, but considering New Zealand was the poorest country to get a track cycling medal, it would seem not to work too well.

Just when you think the Olympics was winding down, the fighting girls bring us gold again. Adams and Jones were amazing.

GB girls 2 - 0 Chinese girls

Unlucky for Stamper, getting the top seed first, pretty close in his last two fights i thought. Here's hoping the guys can get a boxing gold in the weekend as well.

Thanks BBC for bringing us Daley Thompson. I fucking idolised that man when I was a kid. I was nine when he won his first gold, that was a long frigging time ago.

I know Redgrave and Hoy have probably, quantifiably, better Olympic achievements but, for me, Thompson is, was and always will be Britain at the Olympics.

I tipped Blake to surprise Bolt at this Olympics a few months ago but i'm kinda glad I got the chance to see the fastest man ever make some history. Maybe he'll do what he did after Beijing and smash the times he made like he did in Berlin at the World Championships.

The Beeb better have signed up Michael Johnson as a pundit on a long term contract - not just for athletics, but for every programme about everything.

I wonder why the US tv don't have him?

He's been working for the BBC for since he retired. His main reason for doing so, from what I can gather, seems to be that he appreciated that they showed more respect to Athletics compared to the US networks (who typically only show the big races/events from the Olympics and World Championships - ignoring other meets entirely - and even those would often be delayed highlights instead of shown live, would break everything up with ads in inappropriate places, etc). I don't think the Beeb still have the rights to many of the other events these last couple of years but at least they still do comprehensive live coverage.