2012 London Olympics

djbhammer

Actually youd think the paralympics should be evenmore inspirational. Keep the party going uk!

Great Britain has finished second in the medal tables at 8 out of the 13 previous Paralympic games, and have been in the top three at all but two games.

I think Team GB has a genuine chance of finishing top of the medals tables this time round. As I said earlier in the thread, if GB and China see their percentage shares of golds change by the same factor in the Paralympics as the did in the Olympics, then China would just be two golds ahead. I don't think it's unrealistic that GB could do even better still.

GB tends to do particularly well in sports in the Olympics where extra funding/money is a real advantage, this pretty much applies to all sports in the Paralympics.

Twitter helped me get through that, easing me back into my everyday life of withdrawn cynicism and jokes.

But this morning, I feel like Galen Rupp, who didnt even have a plane ticket home, after just focussing on London 2012 for so long.

What am I supposed to do with my life now?

Well, you (ironically) must have actually missed loads of the Olympics by being there so much, so could spend the next couple of weeks catching up online.

This is true. Bit weird it was so difficult to follow what was going on at the Park. I guess big screens showing action anywhere other than Park Live would have encouraged people to hang around instead of grimly trudging to wherever they were supposed to be, causing crowd management issues.

I watched Farah's 5k listening to the roar of the stadium, with a massively delayed phone video stream that was more like a child's flick book. I missed loads of sport.

I'm not sure whether wallowing in the video archive is the best way to handle my grief. It's a bit like obsessively looking at Polaroids of a girlfriend who's just left you for a Rio street cleaner. Maybe I should just burn them all and move on.

Wasted 3 hours of my life watching last night and only really enjoyed Queen, the Who and Eric Idle. Which shows my age I guess. Had to keep watching though just on the offchance something good or unexpected would happen....

But, It's All Over Now (wonder if they approached the Stones who were conspicuous by their absence).

Except it isn't.

Paralympic cycling and athletics for me in September, atthough I don't know what to expect at all really.

This.

Oh well, we can start hunting paralympic tickets now.

I'm not bothering. I unsuccessfully tried ages ago to get a weekend Goalball ticket. I saw many of the venues but I missed out on going to the Copper Box and my neighbour's firm designed it. But I don't want to go enough to miss work.

I do have some equestrian tickets for the whole family, as we all wanted to see Greenwich Park, and I'd only managed to get two modern pentathlon tickets for yesterday.

But overall I've hogged too many tickets for myself, and I'm happy to leave the Paralympics for someone else to get a go.

I think one of the strangest bits of the closing ceremony was the David Bowie montage followed by a total lack of Bowie.

When seen alongside the Freddie Mercury and John Lennon bits, I think we may have accidentally tricked the world into thinking he's dead.

Went to the PO asking for "two Mo's and a Wiggo please" but they had sold out their allocation of Wiggo :angry: Have to go on-line for that one. Some of the others are ace though - Laura Trott and Nicola Adams get a particular :wub:

Are they doing individual stamps in POs, or do you still have to get sets of 6?

I'm strangely tempted to splurge £100 on a full set of 29 sheets

Turkey easily. Spain is a bit boring and Tokyo just had the earthquake and everything.

I'd have thought Spain being close to bankrupt would count against them quite heavily, especially if it's all still going downhill at decision time next year.

Turkey could be an interesting choice and would almost certainly mean it's more accessible than Japan.....

Are they doing individual stamps in POs, or do you still have to get sets of 6?

I'm strangely tempted to splurge £100 on a full set of 29 sheets

You have to get a set of six.

I have read that Turkey are also front runners for the next but one Euros and they won't get both that and the Olympics.

I think we will be giving ourselves a few more high fives in four years time as we look at the empty seats in the venues and hear about the traffic chaos in Rio.

There are some nice Olympics montage videos now that bring a tear to the eye.

Fantastic, clicking through them (several of which also had clips of it) lead to this, which was one of the highlights of my evening in the stadium:

http://www.bbc.co.uk...ympics/19172782

The man makes the hurdles look tiny, I'd not really noticed that from my back row seat.

Edit: Here's one of my zoomed in from the back row shots of it:

discus_hurdles.JPG

Also if people want to watch athletics, handball and anything else during the football season... then they're free to do so?

If you've found a new sport you like, the best way to get behind it and the athletes that perform in it is now when the olympics are over.