2012 London Olympics

djbhammer

That ham-and-cheese shitefest last night seems to have earned good reviews from papers. Sometimes I really don't feel like I'm part of society - this is a perfect example of that feeling. Who could watch that and not want to claw their eyes out?

They're writing what they think their readers want to read.

The athletes were quite good, and the fireworks when my generation was played were quite good. And the LEDs were great.

Otherwise I concur with this thread - it was the "creative industries" at their most predictable and hackneyed.

They're writing what they think their readers want to read.

The athletes were quite good, and the fireworks when my generation was played were quite good. And the LEDs were great.

Otherwise I concur with this thread - it was the "creative industries" at their most predictable and hackneyed.

and Darcy!

This next 2 weeks on Eurosport - Wiggins and Cavendish and co in a road race (not sure of date). Equestrian showjumping (Nick Skelton) world series on Thursday (I think). Triathlon action. Not LIVE on the last 2 though.

GB Pentathlon/Biathlon site is interesting. GB Handball site seems broken/out of date to me.

BBC pages on each "low key" olympic sport are there only for the olympics it seems as they don't have regular schedules/results :(

GB Handball site seems broken/out of date to me.

It's been bust throughout the olympics which defies belief. Follow any link to 'join in' or whatever from either their site or the BBC sport pages and you get a 404 error. Imagine pissing away an opportunity like that for the sake of some incredibly basic maintenance.

Everything crumbled into dust after Sweden lost the handball to the French. The stinking French. I hope they all fucking choke on their medals in a series of Final Destination-esque type mishaps.

But best of all was the Swedish guy who got silver in the shooting - he has basically won everything for the past few years and at the last major (i think) he unexpectedly went out in a complete bust, soon afterwards the knives came out and sections of the press were taking slices off him for being useless and a bumbling fool. He wins Olympic silver and his response to all of his critics, on live television?

*leans right into the interviewer's microphone* '...FUCK YOU!'

Legend.

[/media]

:wub:

That is amazing but its making me even more miserable that its all over - literally been the best 2 weeks of sport i can remember in my 34 years!

However i did get off my arse and go for a ride before work yesterday and i feel inspired by it all and even better news is that i have shipping confirmation on a Team GB cycling top - its going to be too small but i dont care as it means some ebay scuzball hasnt got it to sell for £300.

Handball is all about the Norwegian women. Well deserved winners. I am going to ask Linn Jørum Sulland to marry me teach me how to play.

sulland14-500.jpg

It makes me sad to think that handball doesn't seem likely to capitalize on the Olympics in this country. If I was younger, and didn't have such ropey knees, I think I would try and get a club going down here. Sadly, I just don't have the time.

They keep appearing then disappearing. I'm happy I got the ones I did a couple of weeks back.

I'm glad though, means that the Paralympics is going to get some good audiences.

Edit - However having seen that there are loads of apparently avilable tickets on the site now, none of them are available, and it's pissing me off.

Yeah, I always felt a bit sad in the past seeing the stadiums next to empty for the Paralympics. Not this time. Girlfriend got us tickets to the last day - all the finals in the stadium. Well looking forward to it - even more knowing now the stadium will be full.

This next 2 weeks on Eurosport - Wiggins and Cavendish and co in a road race (not sure of date).

Don't have to wait at all for cycling action, Team Sky's Vuelta squad are racing in the Clasica San Sebastian, which is live on Eurosport at 14:45 toady. Then from Sunday there are three weeks of the Vuelta to watch, with Froome as a real contender in the overall classification (having come second last year ahead of Wiggins.) Live on Eurosport in the day and then highlights on ITV4 each evening.

Don't have to wait at all for cycling action, Team Sky's Vuelta squad are racing in the Clasica San Sebastian, which is live on Eurosport at 14:45 toady. Then from Sunday there are three weeks of the Vuelta to watch, with Froome as a real contender in the overall classification (having come second last year ahead of Wiggins.) Live on Eurosport in the day and then highlights on ITV4 each evening.

and he's up against Contador. Should make for a great race. I assume Andy Schleck's arse is still too broken to compete?

Did I mention that I'm Riding with Brad THIS WEEKEND? So exciting. I think I might get an attack of the vapours.

Just did a quick blog of my trip to the Stadium, for the Mens 200. Photos of my missus on there, in case the Bolt isn't enough :)

Also, the Olympics have left me feeling very strange. I have had a football season ticket for more years than i care to remember, and after watching the last 2 weeks, it makes me a little angry that most PL players get over 50k a week. 5 months of that dough could sponsor one athlete for the whole 4 year cycle. Our high jump guy was on telly earlier, and said he nearly went back to restoring classic cars, instead of training to compete. That's real sport, right there my friends. And a fucking accountant won a gold medal! No baby Bentley for big Ed !

I feel i might get a little vocal at the first dive i see at Upton Park on Saturday. I knows its a different game and all that, but ya know................

I'm not sure that this will be of interest to anyone else, but the New Yorker commissioned a 15 minute film about London 2012. set to a poem by de Coubertin.

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/photobooth/2012/08/went-the-games-well-seamus-murphy.html

It's visually striking in places, and captures what things look like around here right now pretty well. I've seen a lot of BFI archive material of London of the past, and this is reminiscent of those. Maybe largely of interest to someone who'll get a kick out of spotting where each of the clips was filmed.

Cheers Graham, see anyone in the photos you recognise ?

I don't think so. Should I?

I should say I'm not very good at recognising people. When meeting my wife in a crowd she can walk right up to me, waving, and I won't spot her. I don't think it is a brain disease, but who knows? One of the women looked a bit like Yumbody from rllmuk's ancient past, but I decided it probably wasn't her,

does anyone have the drive and knowledge to make a thread for upcomming sports on TV? like a rllmuk sports schedule?

At least, someone could start with a calendar of big events (world championships of Olympic sports, for example). That should remain fairly fixed from year to year..

I don't think so. Should I?

I should say I'm not very good at recognising people. When meeting my wife in a crowd she can walk right up to me, waving, and I won't spot her. I don't think it is a brain disease, but who knows? One of the women looked a bit like Yumbody from rllmuk's ancient past, but I decided it probably wasn't her,

I would rethink your decision, and congratulate yourself that your ailment appears to be getting better........................

The post games depression is a killer. London 2012 is probably my favourite sporting event ever. I really wish I had of gone but alas I was caught up in super cynical mode before the games, writing them off as a waste of money and a chance for Daily Mail nutters to bang the nationalist drum. How wrong I was. I may have deprived myself of being a part of an all inclusive festival of sport in person but at least I got to appreciate the spectacle on the telly. Truly fantastic that you Brits put on a helluva show that everyone can be proud off.

Now who's up for a game of handball?

There's still paralympic tickets. I got myself basketball / boccia and my night in the stadium above the start line includes about 5 100m finals, all for £60.

No paralympics athletics tickets available at all. Hardly anything available. Blub.

Follow the 2012TicketAlert guy on Twitter. I got Athletics tickets quite easily.

Fantastic, clicking through them (several of which also had clips of it) lead to this, which was one of the highlights of my evening in the stadium:

http://www.bbc.co.uk...ympics/19172782

The man makes the hurdles look tiny, I'd not really noticed that from my back row seat.

Edit: Here's one of my zoomed in from the back row shots of it:

discus_hurdles.JPG

What happened next:

He got drunk on that German cruise ship parked in Docklands that I posted pix of. He lost his accreditation, couldn't get back in the village and spent the night before his medal ceremony at a train station.