2012 London Olympics

djbhammer

The opening ceremony got an average of 22.4m viewers in the UK, most watched broadcast since 1998 (the World Cup, I believe). Doubly impressive given the parade.

23% of US households watched it, most watched non-US Olympics opening ceremony ever.

God even the cheers at the beach volleyball are massive. And this is day one!

Ha, I was just coming here to post that about the Archery. The atmosphere at everything looks so good! Can't wait to get to some events.

Watching the archery now. Those bows always make me laugh, how insanely high tech for such a primitive (skillful, but primitive) sport can you get?

Bet they thought the same when the slingshot was replaced by the simple bow..

Can someone who actually knows anything about cycling explain to me how/why we didn't do very well

The rider on the front of a group of cyclists uses much more energy than the one sheltering behind. Because GB had talked themselves up so much, had dominated the TdF and had the best sprinter nobody else was prepared to help by sharing the hard work on the front of the group. Normally in a race there would be a few teams sharing the effort, particularly in the final 50 KM. So after 200km GB were fucked and a big group got away. Also I guess Cavendish couldn't have been climbing as well as expected as the pace GB kept on the climb wasn't high enough to stop people going clear.

After watching the cycling it annoyed me how everyone else just sat there for the entire race not sharing the load. I can understand why they did it, but in the end they really just shot themselves in the foot as there was no way a 4 man team (+1 german) was ever going to catch the 24 man group out in front in the last 20km. The lack of timing information was also rubbish but it wasn't the BBCs fault. Having been used to listening to Phil Ligett on ITV I found the commentary a bit lacking as at times it just seemed like massive gaps where nothing was being said, confusion and a lack of research.

The rider on the front of a group of cyclists uses much more energy than the one sheltering behind. Because GB had talked themselves up so much, had dominated the TdF and had the best sprinter nobody else was prepared to help by sharing the hard work on the front of the group. Normally in a race there would be a few teams sharing the effort, particularly in the final 50 KM. So after 200km GB were fucked and a big group got away. Also I guess Cavendish couldn't have been climbing as well as expected as the pace GB kept on the climb wasn't high enough to stop people going clear.

Yeah. But also they made it very easy for no one else to do any work. They made it clear from the start that they were going to do all the chasing, so of course no one helped. And they put no one in the break, so had no plan B. Maybe their tactics would have worked with a nine man team, but trying to do everything with four riders proved to be suicidal.

Why do they race as a team in the road cycling? If its an individual medal why doesn't the best individual just go at their own pace? Better to do well than be part of a team that was average.

Because slipstreaming. Road cycling is a team sport. What makes it so good is the constant balance between cooperation and competition. You're competing against individuals but you can't do anything by yourself.

Yeah. But also they made it very easy for no one else to do any work. They made it clear from the start that they were going to do all the chasing, so of course no one helped. And they put no one in the break, so had no plan B. Maybe their tactics would have worked with a nine man team, but trying to do everything with four riders proved to be suicidal.

Well yeah, that no plan B was the big problem.

And as sorry as I am for Cav who I think is great I'm sort of glad they weren't able to just ride their own race because it was super exciting.

Why do they race as a team in the road cycling? If its an individual medal why doesn't the best individual just go at their own pace? Better to do well than be part of a team that was average.

My guess (I don't watch cycling) is you don't have a chance of getting anywhere near a medal without sponsorship, training, support, etc.. and if you're not a teamplayer, you won't get a chance at being "allowed" to be the front guy ever. I'm pretty sure it's the strongest guy that gets picked to get ahead anyway, to the support team that's a massive boost and encouragement for next time.

And as sorry as I am for Cav who I think is great I'm sort of glad they weren't able to just ride their own race because it was super exciting.

Yeah, it was a great race. I like Cav too but a controlled break and a bunch finish would have been much more dull. Great scenes all round. Really makes me want radios to be banned for everything, as well.

Everyone who liked it: watch more cycling! Post in the cycling thread!

Really enjoying the weightlifting that's been going on the last couple of hours. 48kg women chucking up 100kg+ clean and jerks is just damn impressive whichever way you look at it (and there's even a floor cam!)

Had a dislocated elbow early on too. Grim.

All this HD coverage is superb. The Opening Ceremony was 3D, but we didn't have enough glasses for everyone, so didn't bother after a short play around with it. Struggling coping with the number of channels, always feels like you're missing something. Sometimes I turn over and they're putting the hoovers around.

Feel like I've got a lot of sports to learn quickly. The gymnastics commentators were good.

London looks amazing, especially the outdoor venues. Greenwich Park, Horseguards, Lords, the road race.