Super Meat Boy

The Sarge

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck!

And I thought the Jill Off levels were tough!

Yep, The Kid is fucking crazy, Jill and the rest are a complete walk in the park in comparison. I got to the 3rd level but my hands were like claws by then so I had to give up, I couldn't even press jump fast enough such was the hand-fuckery by that point.

Awesome box art is awesome:

Super_Meat_Boy_Dave_Rapoza_Cover.jpg

From here

This cover will be placed on our upcoming PC boxed release that will be printed and sold independently through our site. This "Special Edition" pc version will feature the exact same game as you've played on steam, but it will also come packed with special features like behind the scenes videos, design sketches, illustrations and never before scene cutting room floor characters, art and the like.

We hope to have the printed version out by the end of Jan. after the level editor is out, it will probably sell for around 20-25 bucks depending on the final price of the printing.

News on steam updates, and devmode coming soon!

• 3 weeks later...

New content for January announced and detailed, Wiiware Version cancelled.

The Next content update for super meat boy (coming in mid jan) will come with a new executable stand alone file containing the following.

A fully supported Super Meat Boy level editor.

- Players will be able to create anything they have seen level wise ingame (minus bosses)

- Players will be able to lock levels so they are only playable with specific characters.

- When a player completes his level (validating its possible to beat) he will gain the option to upload it to the level portal.

An online level Portal.

- Players will have the ability to sort and play user made levels by date, difficulty and over all fun.

- Difficulty is internally calculated by the number of times users die before completing the level.

- Over all fun is calculated by users voting 1-5 stars on level completion.

This update will also include the addition of "Super Meat World" a chapter that will unlock with 20 bandages and appear on the over world map before the 1st chapter of the main game.

- Super Meat World will act as a Hub for full chapters hand picked by Team Meat.

- All chapters uploaded to Xbla after this update will be featured here.

- Select chapters will also be uploaded to Xblas "internets" chapter as well.

- Many selected chapters will be character specific and created by designers like Matt Thorson (jumper / give up robot), Gaijin Games (bit.trip series), Michael "Kayin" O'Reilly (I wanna be the guy) and many more.

But! by far the coolest aspect of Super Meat World is your ability to "Enter the Unknown".

Enter the unknown is a Pc specific feature that grabs random user made levels from the level portal and arranges them in order of difficulty.

- When Players enter the unknown they will choose what difficulty they want to play.

- The unknown will only feature levels ranked 3+ on over all fun factor.

- Every time you play will be a totally new set of levels, endless content.

Many of you know there will never be a sequel to Super Meat Boy, so it was important to close the book in a way that let the fans take over where we left off, giving them complete control over what people play and how super meat boy lives on.

All of this content will be 100% free.

Q&A

Now for some twitter Q and A!

Q: How does music work in the editor ?

A: The music that plays in single levels will depend on the tile set you use. you will be able to choose the track when you make a full chapter.

Q: Can players create their own warp zones?

A: Players wont be able to place warp zones in levels, but we will let players make 3 level chapters.

Q: will players be able to create custom characters?

A: No.

Can players place bandages in levels?

A: Yes, but they wont effect character unlocks in the main game.

Q: Can players make dark world versions of levels?

A: Yes, but they will have to be another chapter. chapter uploads go in packs of 20 total, so you could upload a chapter called Forest with 20 levels. then make a set of 20 dark levels and name them Forest Dark. but you wont be able to make dark world variations the same way we have them in game.

Q: Will you guys be updating the editor over time?

A: Yes, we will adding new functionality, features and edits over time.

Q: Will Team Meat also make levels for the editor?

A: Yes, Tommy and i will both make a chapter or 2 for the portal :)

Q: Will the editor come out for xbla?

A: No, we cant legally put a level editor on xbla without some kind of content control team and personal servers. BUT, we will be uploading all compatible user made level packs that we deem "awesome" to xbla's internets.

Q: WHEN IS THE FUCKING TITLE UPDATE COMING OUT FOR XBLA!? AND WHEN ARE YOU UPLOADING A NEW INTERNETS CHAPTER!?

A: Way to hijack a post about the level editor.. anyway. The title udate for xbla is finished and going through the approval proses, it takes a bit longer then a pc patch so please be patient. New chapters will release once the title update is released.

Q:WHERE THE HELL IS THE GOO BALL CODE YOU DISHONEST ASSHOLES!?

A: Jesus... if you want to play as the Goo Ball from World of Goo on Steam simply type in ballgoo at the character select.

http://supermeatboy.com/71/SMB_Editor_and_Portal_details_/

ATTENTION: there will not be a Wiiware version of SMB. we are looking in to retail Wii, bit its also looking grim. still looking though.

:)

So after nearly 5000 deaths I've finally got The End achievement, great game and great relief, there were times I didn't think it was possible. The Light World has a perfect learning curve and just the right amount of challenge.

It really needs to be patched asap though, the 360 version hasn't been released yet, right? I lost a run of 6 levels in Hell, the glitch level in the factory has disappeared, one level isn't showing as complete even though my name's on the leaderboard, I have a time of 0.00 on one level, and I really wish it would show friends' times first on the leaderboard instead of showing everyone who hasn't posted a time! I have to keep scrolling up and down before it will show all names too.

But other than that great and surprisingly I didn't find it as infuriating as Trials or even Pinball FX2.

I'm stuck on Hell at the moment. Around the 6th level I think. The level is basically a mirror image of itself with sawblades that you have to time your movement through. It's a fucking nightmare though, I've managed to get through half of it but I can't do the rest.

You know when you play through the same level for the hundredth time, and can't see any kind of improvement at all. I'm pathetic :( Funny thing is, I was doing awesome up until this level.

• 2 weeks later...

I just spent about 3 and a half hours playing this, and almost all that time was spent doing The Kid warp zone. That's probably the hardest thing I've ever done - and I've done F-Zero GX's Stort Missions on Very Hard. I've got a serious case of claw hands on the go now. I'm quite amazed that I didn't get frustrated or bored just going at those three levels for so long. It's a sign of a brilliant game right there.

When's the DLC gonna drop?

Just finished the Light World in this. The last level was pretty easy (still took me a lot of goes), but the final chapters level are damned hard. I gave up on the very last one, it was driving me mad, and my hands are quite sore now. I'm glad the XBox pads aren't as fragile as the SNES ones, I'd have crushed one of those easily while playing this.

Scuse the doubling up, but I just booted this up to discover that the save bug hit me last time I played this and I have lost about 3-4 hours of progress :( I had done all the dark world levels on chapters 4 and 5, and I really don't feel like doing it all again.

Isn't there supposed to be a patch for this (Xbox version)?

I got to 4th or 5th world but then went back to getting a+ on all the 1st world levels and collecting bandages . I then started doing all the dark world levels . I think

I got three left to a+ .

However , I think on darkwould 17( maybe) I somehow unlocked hidden backwards world ?!? I failed and lost all three lives but try as I might I can't get back to it again ?

( it might not have been 17 but it's one screen , you basically go from left to right jump up and right to left with those breakable blocks across spikes ) .

Any ideas ?

I'm avoiding the bug by not replaying levels, instead exiting to the map and going back in. It's a little more fiddly, but only needs to be done when chasing the A+ rank for the times, then when I go back for bandages or warp zones there's no need to instantly replay a level.

Since doing this, I've never encountered the bug. Worth looking at for those waiting for the patch.

It's almost three months since this game came out and STILL no TU.

As much as I love SMB, this game is an example of 'paid for beta' releases that appear to be continually more common.

The initial PC release was completely broken from the off and it seems Team Meat decided an iterative approach to fixing the litany of issues was the best idea. Almost daily updates fixing single issues. They must have no software testing experience at all.

However , I think on darkwould 17( maybe) I somehow unlocked hidden backwards world ?!? I failed and lost all three lives but try as I might I can't get back to it again ?

Any warp level you've played is unlocked, if it was one of the glitch levels it'll be available on the map in the space before level 1 in the light world.

Any warp level you've played is unlocked, if it was one of the glitch levels it'll be available on the map in the space before level 1 in the light world.

ill give it a go thanks. i just wondered how it unlocked when i didnt do anything special? or was it a glitch?

Sometimes Bandage Girl will look fucked up and corrupted, save her then and you unlock the glitch level for that world. In-joke #9876234 or something like that :)

Its all about speed. She'll be corrupted for a set period of time before she returns to normal, so just reach her within the time limit on a certain stage and you'll unlock the glitch world.

Just been playing a bit more of this - man I must've hit one of those glitch worlds as I went back to world 1 for A+ ranks.. Did 1-1 in about half a second and SUDDENLY EVERYTHING WENT WEIRD. :lol: amazing scenes. Then I unlocked a character from bit.trip runner. WHAT IS GOING ON?! (I should probably get round to trying the bit.trip games) Loving it massively. :wub:

Just been playing a bit more of this - man I must've hit one of those glitch worlds as I went back to world 1 for A+ ranks.. Did 1-1 in about half a second and SUDDENLY EVERYTHING WENT WEIRD. :lol: amazing scenes. Then I unlocked a character from bit.trip runner. WHAT IS GOING ON?! (I should probably get round to trying the bit.trip games) Loving it massively. :wub:

That's just a normal Warp Zone and you unlocked The Commander by completing it. There are 3 warps per world. You can only unlock the glitch level by completing the normal level when Bandage Girl is "glitching", only happens occasionally.

And yes you should definitely play the Bit.Trip series, they are brilliant.

• 2 weeks later...