rllmuk

New dads and playing video games

As already pointed out, my gaming time diminished when i moved in with the missus.

Now i have 2 boys (2 and a half and 4 months) and it's the DS thats kept my gaming going. Games like Prof Layton have been great as they can be saved any time or just picked up and played for a short time.

My oldest boy loves to watch me playing Angry Birds and has started demanding that i put it on if he see's my iPod. He's even started to heckle me if i've failed a level the cheeky little so and so ;)

Well, when my Daughter was born I kind of assumed that I'd have to pretty much pack in the games for 6 months at least, and just try to get in a few hours here and there. I managed to get extra time off work, so I was home for best part of 6 weeks from when she was born...

But as you guys will know when they're that small they pretty much look after themselves in that they're either sleeping or feeding, so I found a reasonable amount of time as the wife was always dozing too. Also for the first 7 weeks or so the only thing that would guarantee to get her to sleep was sticking her in the Bjorn and walking about which I was more than happy to do - god bless the wireless controller. So most nights I was up from 11pm-4/5am with my Daughter in the Bjorn playing happily away with the sound on very low.

In the first 4 weeks of my Daughters life I managed to rack up over 65 hours on Demons Souls.

As she's got older she needs more entertaining, so while she's awake it's very much a no-no. She's just so into any kind of gadget or anything that looks vaguely intersting (she's 11 months). She loves even just the mouse for the laptop, so the xbox/ps3 controller would send her into meltdown.

the biggest change I've found is I've migrated most of my games to PC. Before, the Wife was happy for me to hog the telly for a few hours each night, but now as her Highness goes to bed at 7pm we can only watch from then on and as my Wifes bedtime has also got earlier I feel bad asking to make her watch me playing Forza3 from 7-9 when she goes to bed.

So now I play on the laptop while my Wife has the telly on. It's been something of a revelation. I got myself a very decent spec laptop and mostly the games look at least as good as the consoles and run at much better framerates. I'm currently dividing my time between Pes2011, New Vegas, Civ5, FM2011 on the laptop and plugging away slowly at Metroid Other M and Forza3 when I do get an evening to myself and I can hog the telly.

FM2011 and Civ5 are ideal as they don't need pausing and PES and Pro Evo are short bursts of 10 minutes. I'm struggling to properly get into New Vegas and Metroid though cause it feels like I need to spend hours at a time to get into it and enjoy it (like I did with Fallout3)...

All in all though I've managed to keep a staggering amount of time to spend on games considering my expectations...

It can be difficult to game when you have a baby/young child. I think I played through Golden Sun on the GBA in snatched sessions that usually ran from 3am to 5am while I had a fitfully dozing baby on me. But as with all things, by the time they get a bit older you have instant co-op gaming partners, and you can trot out the "but gaming is interactive and far better than TV and encourages advanced puzzle solving" to mummy, before popping on Pixeljunk Shooter for a quick 2 player blast before tea.

Probably the biggest responsibility you can have as a gaming father is to make sure your children are accustomed to mouse/keyboard and pad control, but also appreciate all the alternatives. All my 3 boys have been brought up with constant positive reinforcement that "normal" game control revolves around pad or mouse, and motion control is to be regarded with suspicion. This had a downside, as at a recent dinner party my seven year old went off to play with the 9 year old son of the hostess. I went to see what they were playing (and to do the annoying gaming dad thing of trying to bond with youngsters by informing them in a loud voice you also play games and therefore are incredibly cool) and found my 7 year old nearly in tears as he wrestled with Wii wand and nunchuck trying to play Super Mario Bros. I begged the 9 year old for a classic controller, only to find he didn't have one. He looked scornfully at my 7 year old as he flailed about like a concussed octopus. On the repeat visit to chez moi the 9 year old was forced to play with my 7 year old on a series of twin stick shooters and complex 3D games that relied on advanced pad manipulation and spatial awareness. By the time the evening was over he was scarred for life. A couple of times as he fell to his death in a complex jumping section in Ratchet and Clank I think both myself and my 7 year old snorted in unison. I was so proud. Job done, but a word of warning that even if you are conducting a proper gaming education from an early age then don't forget to at least give them the Wii/Move/Kinect basics.

• Upvote 3

Don't buy into the 'you can't play games with a baby' myth. First of all you'll be at home a LOT more (no more pub nights/movies!) and secondly little children sleep about 20 hours a day to start off with. When they get older, they go to bed early. Sure, the whole weekends of endless gaming will be over, but if you don't mind playing your games in one/two hour chunks, you'll do fine.

Lots of truth uttered right here. Gaming time cropped up at weird hours of the day but it was still in plentiful supply. I remember in the early hours feeding my daughter and then with her next to me in a bouncy chair playing through Abe's oddysee while my wife caught up on sleep. She still loves Abe to this day but now she's nearly 14 and I sit next to her and watch her murder people online in Assassin's Creed. The roles are reversed although I do less dribbling and haven't shat myself recently so it's not entirely the same.

• Upvote 2

1st 3 months you'll have little time for anything. Gets easier from then on though. My kids are 2 and 5 and are asleep nearly 12 hours a day so plenty of gaming time in the evenings :)

I found it the opposite - those times when your up in the early hours feeding and getting them to sleep is the perfect time to slip in a bit of gaming.

My just turned 3yr old is a dab hand on the DS already, and both her and her 6yr old sister are fine on the wii, but at the moment the 360 controller is a bit too much for the youngest ;)

I found it the opposite - those times when your up in the early hours feeding and getting them to sleep is the perfect time to slip in a bit of gaming.

Completely agree - over the last two months I've managed to start and finish Fallout 3 (clocking in around 140 hours). The majority of this was done in the early hours of Sat & Sun and from 10pm - 12am weekdays when the wife had gone to bed early leaving me with the baby.

Although now she can see the TV I've switched to friendly games like Super Mario Galaxy and Ratchet & Clank.

Mine are now 9 and 11. Bed times are getting later and I refuse to get them a 360 for the bedroom. As a result, we take it in turns at the weekend (one hour each). Mid week, I don't let them play but get an hour on once they're in bed. We have had some excellent multiplayer sessions together (splosion man, FIFA, rock band etc). It's a diffent topic, but I find it annoying how many games I end up not letting the kids play, not because of volence, but because of swearing. Hopefully, gaming will be one of our common interests as we move into the teenage years.

I have found that the Wii is perfect for 5 min bursts. It also means that my 4 year old daughter can smack the shit out of things on WSR. Stangely though, she's better with the GC pad on MK:DD & MK Wii than with the Wiimote.

Anyway, my 11 month old son is also getting in on the act with some SMG 2

post-68-092368600 1290934764_thumb.jpg

Lucas is four now and much more into his gaming. I find I get just as much pleasure watching him discover some of the classics alongside some of his modern favourites.

He doesn't sit there and moan about slightly below par graphics, or how he managed to break the game to find a 1/10000 chance glitch. He sees it as a joyful experience and it makes me all warm inside watching.