IGNORED

Avatar 2, 3, 4 & 5 - Part 2 delayed to Dec 2022

Goose

Fuck knows how the rest will do but I'll bet my left tentacle this second one is a beast in the cinema. Just something about the state of the current sketchy cinema going climate and Cameron's record feels...something. 

No vibe for the rest of the series but this'll be a monster. Betcha.

5 minutes ago, FishyFish said:

I'd like a found-footage movie where a bunch of DEEP SEA EXPLORERS visit the TITANIC and disturb MUTANT PIRANHAS placed there by ALIENS.

One of the explorers is secretly a SPY, while another is a ROBOTIC ASSASSIN aiming to go back in time to board the Titanic and recover a valuable piece of jewellery.

A nuclear bomb explodes at one point.

2 minutes ago, Nick R said:

One of the explorers is secretly a SPY, while another is a ROBOTIC ASSASSIN aiming to go back in time to board the Titanic and recover a valuable piece of jewellery.

A nuclear bomb explodes at one point.

I'm more excited about this than the Avatar sequels!!!

Okay so whose been to the cinema and saw the trailer.

It looks pretty. Doesn't show much plot wise. Can't remember seeing any actual humans, just a lot of blue Navi (?) creatures. 

The Bullet Train trailer was better.

The trailer that's ahead of Dr.Strange is cool, but yeah doesn't really look like it's doing anything new.

One standout for me was the music which pulled on emotion quite nicely.

The (admittedly final) Top Gun trailer before it was loads better.

Found the footage shown before Doctor Strange incredibly bland. Realise that’s pretty harsh, and admittedly the footage was in 2D, but I’m done with 3D. If a film needs that as a selling point in this day and age I’m quite happy to miss out.

One thing that stood out (not in a great way) in the trailer, was the quite weightless way that characters were walking on surfaces.  Immersion breaking stuff that I hope they can tweak for the better by the time that the film comes out.

Saw the trailer for this before Doctor Strange 2, and I think that really says everything about Avatar and the current movie-going climate. 

Iron Man was released in 2008.

So in the time it’s taken James Cameron to make one film, the whole of the MCU has taken place. 

I’m morbidly curious to know what he’s been doing for the past 13 years. But equally… this is going to be a pile of crap that no one will care about, right? No movie that’s had this long a gestation period can end up being good. 

2 hours ago, Popo said:

Saw the trailer for this before Doctor Strange 2, and I think that really says everything about Avatar and the current movie-going climate. 

Iron Man was released in 2008.

So in the time it’s taken James Cameron to make one film, the whole of the MCU has taken place. 

I’m morbidly curious to know what he’s been doing for the past 13 years. But equally… this is going to be a pile of crap that no one will care about, right? No movie that’s had this long a gestation period can end up being good. 

He hasn’t just been making a new Avatar for 13 years! He’s been up to all kinds of things, like going looking at the Titanic.

48 minutes ago, JPL said:

He hasn’t just been making a new Avatar for 13 years! He’s been up to all kinds of things, like going looking at the Titanic.

Point taken! But still, 13 years is a hell of a long time to go between a movie and it’s direct sequel. 

For reference, there was a similar 14 years between Duke Nukem and DN Forever, the poster child for the eternal production cycle. 

I can’t help but feel it’s going to be a movie out of time. 

I'm rewatching Avatar right now! How did Sam Worthington get cast? Truly awful, wooden performance. Maybe the worst in such a high profile picture.

Rewatching this was supposed to get me more hyped for its sequel. Half an hour in and it's doing the opposite.

11 hours ago, Broker said:

That trailer was bland as fuck. No idea what the story is. The cat people look sillier than I remember. 

Yeah, this. The trailer told me nothing, other than the blue people like to wander around a bit.

Not that I have any intention of ever watching it, but if I was on the fence then that did nothing to make me want to learn more.

It wasn’t attempting to be a story trailer, but a look at this world trailer. Which would probably work better if anyone could remember the first one, and appreciate the differences from the first film.

On 07/05/2022 at 08:35, Popo said:

No movie that’s had this long a gestation period can end up being good. 

Go watch FURY ROAD.

Man I've yet to see the new AVATAR trailer but how can any movie fan not be excited for this flick???

One of the greatest filmmakers of all time known for making some of the best sequels of all time convinced a studio to give him over half a billion and a decade to fuck off into his own imagination to make sequels to the biggest original movie of all time (that he also made and that people said would be a disaster) and the same people now have the balls to say nobody will want to see the results.

It's bonkers. I can't fuckin wait to see what this lunatic has been cooking up.

1 hour ago, Despin said:

Go watch FURY ROAD.

Man I've yet to see the new AVATAR trailer but how can any movie fan not be excited for this flick???

One of the greatest filmmakers of all time known for making some of the best sequels of all time convinced a studio to give him over half a billion and a decade to fuck off into his own imagination to make sequels to the biggest original movie of all time (that he also made and that people said would be a disaster) and the same people now have the balls to say nobody will want to see the results.

Despin('s) out (of his mind) 

1 hour ago, Despin said:

Go watch FURY ROAD.

Was Fury Road in production hell since Thunderdome? 

The thing about Avatar is - it had no lasting impact, and nobody talks or cares about it in the way Terminator or Aliens continues to capture the imagination. Even 3D, the era of which Avatar heralded, is over, and most would agree that it was a gimmick that didn’t add to the movie-going experience - impressive though it was at the time. 

If it turns out that Avatar 2 is the movie event of the decade then I’ll be there with my extra-large socks on that they can be blown off, but I feel like if that was to happen, it was ten years ago. 

Disney has sunk a lot of money into these. Not to mention the theme park alone.

If you haven't seen it, Jenny Nicholson's trip around it is absolutely hilarious.

2 hours ago, Popo said:

Was Fury Road in production hell since Thunderdome? 

Yes.

Miller had the idea in the late 80s but couldn't get funding. It took him literally 25 years to get it made. 

2 hours ago, Popo said:

The thing about Avatar is - it had no lasting impact, and nobody talks or cares about it in the way Terminator or Aliens continues to capture the imagination. Even 3D, the era of which Avatar heralded, is over, and most would agree that it was a gimmick that didn’t add to the movie-going experience - impressive though it was at the time. 

But the original had even less cultural awareness.  Because it didn't exist. It was even worse. It was brand new and people were making fun of the blue cat people and that they spent so much on it and cameron has been gone for a decade since titanic and it was all going to be a disaster.

And it was still the biggest movie of all time. 

So let's assume we're back to square one with a movie that looks silly that nobody cares about. That the filmmaker wasted a decade making. We're in the exact same position except now, HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS of people saw the original and will recognise it when the full might of Disney marketing plasters it on every available surface and screen on earth to let you know it's back.

I just don't get how anyone can not see this is gonna be fuckin mega.