Pinball Games - Pinball FX, Pinball Arcade, etc

bradigor

I'd like to thank (slap) Mossegrinder for showing me this, and breaking my weak will, spending all my MS points.

I've added a bunch of names on here, if you have space on your friends list, ta! The integration with the friends stuff is just awesome sauce

Both my forearms fucking ache today after giving this a good few hours each evening since launch day. :D

Been loving this. I'm prone to crumbling when it tells me I'm away to better my scores though. I'm fast approaching the magical 40,000 Wizard Score and the wizards robes for my avatar.

So do you guys rotate from table to table, or try to go in-depth on a single one in the hope to unravel its mechanics and, with a bit of luck and a good streak, put down some monsterscore? This is usually the way for me to play pinball, after a brief tour of all of them I'm starting out with Secrets of the Deep because it's my favourite so far.

I've played them all a bit initially and used to rotate more on the original one but now with the friends score business I've been trying to concentrate on one table at a time to get me off 10th place which is where my initial scores got me...

I like the way it also has weekly best's as well as all-time, gives you little sense of achievement as you go.

I'm shit at Biolab though, I can only really do the brain upgrade, the reflex one seems really tricky and the repeated skill shot keeps eluding me too...

Also Rome really reminds me of an actual pinball table that I think was knights and castles themed, with two very similar large ramps right up the middle of the table, can't remember the name of it for shit though. The real one also had the very annoying thing that Rome does where by if you don't get the ball up the ramps, it can come down them at all sorts of annoying different angles, so it's tricky to tell which flipper it's aiming for.

Re: book of tales, you need to hit the ball with the top left flipper into the palace - I find it easier to tuck it in if you're hold the right flipper down so there's a bigger gap:

After enabling it (by going up through the bumpers on the lower left) you can start the mode either by doing the Palace as you say or by going into the Oasis apparently, which is a hard to reach hole accessible using the top right flipper. I've not managed that so see if it does anything different, but it does also say you can influence what story you access by doing various loops beforehand. No idea what gives what outcome though, the modes I think I've seen are:

Magic Carpet (use the flipper triggers to tilt the mini table, getting the ball over the lights)

Rescue the Princess (in the lower table just hit the defending guards at the top and go through, same as a few other modes)

Find the Treasure (in the tower, flipper triggers act like magnets to keep the ball going round several times)

Or something like that, I've probably got the names wrong and/or mixed up.

Question time!

1. What does it mean when it says the magic lamp is fully charged on Pasha? Happens after you've hit the spinner from the top right loop round the back a few times.

2. How the hell are you supposed to up the bonus multiplier on the Deep table? Getting the bonus up to 10x is usually handy for putting in a huge score, but I don't think I've ever even got it to 2x on there.

Once the lamp is charged you can lock the ball for multiball after hitting the eyes of the giant snake (I think) - apart from that it just spits it back at the bottom of the table. Any other specials i have no idea.

Hello. I've tried the tables in demo mode, but I'm not sure I want to spend 800 points on 4 tables. Certainly I can't afford to get the 4 new tables and the 4 old tables. If I were to spend 800 points, which pack would you suggest is best? The new tables look a bit fuller, but I don't know much about pinball, and the demo time doesn't give much chance to work out how the tables work.

I'm starting to quite like pinball games, but I don't think I'm any good at working out for myself how all the missions and modes on a table work. It's all a jumble of flashing lights to me! Quite chaotic. I'd also quite like to play on a real pinball machine - I never have - but arcades are dead and I don't know where they exist any more.

All modern pinball tables are basically hitting the targets to activate the ramps, which then bring on bonus games (which are shown), Multiballs, and scores.

Some tables have sub-game areas as well.

A hit target will stay illuminated - IE not flashing (so telling you the ones left to hit) and any ramp you then have to hit will start to flash to acitvate the bonus or game.

Hello. I've tried the tables in demo mode, but I'm not sure I want to spend 800 points on 4 tables. Certainly I can't afford to get the 4 new tables and the 4 old tables. If I were to spend 800 points, which pack would you suggest is best? The new tables look a bit fuller, but I don't know much about pinball, and the demo time doesn't give much chance to work out how the tables work.

I'd say get the 4 new ones, then get the individual ones (which is the old FX1 DLC, there are 5 of them at 200 points each) then get the old old tables (the other pack, the original FX1 tables), but that's reverse order of my familiarity as much as anything - I'm a bit sick of the originals I've caned them so much. Actually, what have they bundled in the FX1 pack with Speed Machine, Agents and Extreme? Is it Buccaneer? That actually makes it not too bad, after all it's only Extreme that's really crap.

Argh I noticed I was a measly 300.000 or so points away from Stefcha's score on Pasha - and I crumbled under the pressure :( Next time, Stefcha, next time!

Sometimes it's all "wow, I'm going to go way past, I've still got three balls left!" then, once the realisation kicks in, 30 panicked seconds later it's "shit, they didn't last long" :lol:

Right, I know what I'm doing tonight...!

I lied. I got sidetracked with Buccaneer. Gah! my first 3 balls were going great guns, but then lost it on the last 2(!).

And I really shouldn't accept friend requests from people who are scarily good at this game (Stefcha I'm looking at you), since my leaderboards suddenly look less healthy!

Yeah, I'm finding Rome to be hard to get a decent score on; it doesn't help that it's not obvious what "Mock Warfare" and "Justice" are on about! Right, once more into the breach...

Right, not tried Justice but sussed out Mock Warfare earlier. First up, how to get there for those not in the know... hit the ball held in the trap on the right four times 'til it says "siege tower in position", then hit the right water ramp to pick Mock Warfare or Justice. For the former, the ball goes in the launcher on the left and you're trying to launch the ball into a catapult (there are two, just above it) to hit the boat on the right. There's a red light at one end of the boat or the other and there's a red light on each one of the catapults that keeps switching. Launch the ball when the right catapult is lit to hit the relevant end of boat in sequence, you need to hit it twice (front and back). After that you need to lock balls in the boat for the multiball, so again hit the ball in the trap (once per ball to lock this time) then fire down the right water ramp to have a ball automatically catapulted into the ship, which starts the multiball after the third one. Increase the jackpot by firing into the neptune and centurion holes, collect the jackpot by firing into the romulus hole on the right. That's about it :blink:

It's a lot simpler than it sounds in practice, honest!

Has anyone hit the left plunger on 'Deep' yet? It's well solid. Just getting the drop targets on the right is hard enough (voice says 'Interesting'), and then hitting the left plunger deliberately seems impossible. Just to add to the challenge the left plunger is only active when you aren't in a special mode.

Just wondering if that plunger had something to do with the multiplier (which I also haven't found on that table)

Good Rome tips.

Excellent stuff, I've been struggling with the game modes on this one. My favourite way to rape some points is to light up "conquer" with the 2 main ramps then select the Southern territory from the central statue. The centre hole with the scales becomes worth a million, you can squeeze 5 shots in there in a good run, the statue hole and romulous hole also net some good pointage in that mode.

Got a 20 million bonus on Pascha last night, woop! Somehow managed to complete the multiball, which I think is hitting all the ramps to find the treasure (but I could be wrong). Then you go back to a single ball and you have to hit it into the cave.