Pinball Games - Pinball FX, Pinball Arcade, etc

bradigor

Oh jeez. ZEN gets W/B? Really?

Their physics are off, their table flow is subpar, and now they get to port The Addams Family et al?

I don't see how this could possibly go wrong. :rolleyes: Ugh, the only thing ZEN is really good at at the moment is getting their hands on licenses. They'll have to seriously step up their game for these tables.

Has to be said Zen are so far ahead of Pinball Arcade in terms of UI it's not funny. How hard is it to do a menu, FFS. I am a bit worried as to how many of their gimmicks they shoe-horn in to the tables, levelling up pinballs was rather a step too far for me.

As an aside, how do you play Pinball FX3 in portrait mode on PC? There was a strange option to request a one-off code to enable cabinet mode that seemed to allow it, then Zen support contacted me and asked me to send them a photo of my monitor before I could get the code, and I kind of backed off at that point as it seems a bit bonkers. I cannot believe there is not an easier way, is there?

2 hours ago, Cyhwuhx said:

Their physics are off, their table flow is subpar, and now they get to port The Addams Family et al?

I don't see how this could possibly go wrong. :rolleyes: Ugh, the only thing ZEN is really good at at the moment is getting their hands on licenses. They'll have to seriously step up their game for these tables.

I love their tables, so I don't personally see this as an issue. If they're straight ports (which I'd imagine they will be) then you don't have to worry about the design/table flow either.
I vastly prefer they way they implement all their online stuff and UI so this is good news for me.

3 hours ago, Cyhwuhx said:

I feel the exact opposite.  As someone who has bought all of Zen's tables on multiple platforms, their ball physics were always way better than Pinball Arcade to me.  PA's always felt too floaty on all the tables I tried (I think I bought the first 6 seasons or so).

I welcome Zen's new license and look forward to seeing what they can do with Williams' back catalogue of real tables.

1 hour ago, strider said:

I love their tables, so I don't personally see this as an issue. If they're straight ports (which I'd imagine they will be) then you don't have to worry about the design/table flow either.
I vastly prefer they way they implement all their online stuff and UI so this is good news for me.

UI is better yes, but let's face it: anythign is better than FarSight UI. And tht's after they've changed the UI 5 times or so.

And sure, flow will be better on W/B tables but ugh... someone give them a prime on physics or something. It's really bad when you switch between ZEN and FarSight. In terms of design they have some real clunkers in the licensed batches. Their original tables are OK at best.

Isn't it irrelevant to criticise the physics on Zen tables, seeing as they aren't even representations of real pinball? There's loads of stuff going on in their tables that you couldn't even do in real life - it's pure video game pinball. Let's see what they do with these Williams tables before writing off the idea. I'm sure they're fully aware that they have to capture the feel of them at the very least.

47 minutes ago, Omizzay said:

I was strictly talking about ball physics, which I feel are a lot more solid than PA's more floaty feel.

Always felt ZEN's physics were more on rails, making it easier to recreate typical shots from any given point, and was sometimes overtly sped up.

We have Big Guns in the office and compared to that PA feels far more like what I'd expect from a pinball machine. I do understand it to be preferential, but in terms of 'proper' ball physics I wouldn't even begin to point towards ZEN at the moment. Would be happy to be proven wrong with the new tables, but I doubt they are somehow going to reverse apply that to their old tables as that would most likely wreck their individual flows.

47 minutes ago, Sabreman said:

Isn't it irrelevant to criticise the physics on Zen tables, seeing as they aren't even representations of real pinball? There's loads of stuff going on in their tables that you couldn't even do in real life - it's pure video game pinball. Let's see what they do with these Williams tables before writing off the idea. I'm sure they're fully aware that they have to capture the feel of them at the very least.

For me is also another strike against ZEN, but I'm more interested in the mechanical clockwork aspects of pinball than most. :P

• 2 weeks later...

October 9th

$9.99 (not sure what it will be in GBP)

3 Tables - Junk Yard, Getaway: High Speed II, Medieval Madness
Fish Tales Free for everyone. 

Not a bad price, expected more. 

Each table comes in a classic form and a Pinball FX style enhanced form too. You can toggle between these. 

Shameless plug, apologies, but...

@Naieve (and anyone else that visits the UK shows to play some real pinball) - I'd strongly recommend following Northern Lights Pinball on Facebook for news on when the shows occur, and discount ticket prices : https://www.facebook.com/NLPinball 

Blackpool is the next Play Expo show, and you can find discounted tickets via that link above. We're a non-profit, and ticket sales via our site help our charity fundraising.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...