Pinball Games - Pinball FX, Pinball Arcade, etc

bradigor

2 hours ago, ZOK said:

But it means they can’t bring them to Switch. Based on the horrendous garbage that surrounds the genuinely delightful version of Medieval Madness on the Zen platform, this prospect does not fill me with joy.

In fairness the online leaderboards are really well done.

1 hour ago, MagicalDrop said:

In fairness the online leaderboards are really well done.

I’ve not looked at those yet, but it’s true that any half-decent online scoreboarding would be a significant improvement over Pinball Arcade’s iOS effort.

On 11/10/2018 at 20:56, smac said:

But no Bally or Williams tables on PA, right? What decent tables are left there?

Yeah they all went months back now, on the good news front Zen Pinball has the Midway/Williams/Bally license and their engine is so much better it is like night and day. Only four tables available however at the moment and it's more than likely not all pinballs will transfer to Zen.

As for the best ones left on Pinball Arcade, well Ghostbusters, Al's Garage Band Goes On a World Tour, Frank Thomas' Big Hurt, Last Action Hero & Harley-Davidson, 3rd Edition are all decent as are all the modern Stern ones. Suspect in the long run the lost of the Bally license will be the death of Pinball Arcade. I'm surprised they haven't released the Gottlieb Super Mario Bros Pinball on Switch.

It would be a sure seller on the format:

I’ve been playing more MM with the girlfriend over the weekend in Switch telly mode, and I’ve noticed two things:

1) It makes my girlfriend very angry

2) The best view seems to be 1Wide, but it’s impossible to see the skill shot / bonus multiplier rollover lights in that view...and I couldn’t easily find a better view that makes them visible. Is there one?

Hmmm, that’s not great then.

I’m bemused by the ire FarSight get - the thing I personally didn’t rate about Pinball Arcade overall was the shoddy front end, which having experienced Zen’s horrendous attempt was actually preferable. And the lack of gamecentre high scores, of course.

I don’t perceive any great leap in the physics - Zen is very nice, but PA was very nice as well. Certainly not night and day between them as @Riven seems to think.

Their support was dire, it took me almost two years to get my Kickstarter backer code for Star Trek TNG, their recreations of the tables weren't particularly accurate, but I still enjoyed the games. Zen's physics are better. 

I find the view where yo can see the DMD is best at the moment, it seems to be one of the few where your chin isn't resting on the glass. You're spot on about the PFX front end. Awful.

5 minutes ago, Camel said:

If it's any consolation, you can't really see the skill shot / bonus multiplier rollover lights on the real thing either.

Have you played the real thing? Because that’s nonsense.

No one really takes the top rollover skill shot on MM anyway.  Hold down left flipper when launching for the proper skill shot. Ball goes round the left orbit, then make any ramp/orbit and it lights the castle for a 1M countdown.

12 minutes ago, Wizcat said:

No one really takes the top rollover skill shot on MM anyway.  Hold down left flipper when launching for the proper skill shot. Ball goes round the left orbit, then make any ramp/orbit and it lights the castle for a 1M countdown.

That’s fine, but isn’t any help to build up bonus multipliers, which is why you need to see the lights.

It’s wonderful. Also I had a quick look on a whim last night at Junkyard and Fish Tales (I think?) that MM comes with. I’ve never played either before, but very pleased to find they are very decent pinners also. 

20 hours ago, ZOK said:

I don’t perceive any great leap in the physics - Zen is very nice, but PA was very nice as well. Certainly not night and day between them as @Riven seems to think.

Going to have to disagree, as how the tables play between the two games is quite different, due to the game engines being different. Only thing I don't like about FX3 is how the tlit feature works.

The pinball tables in FX3 are hugely more detailed if you take a closer look you'll see all the nuts and bolts that put the table together are shown in FX3 and were largely missing in PA. The quality and details of the tables are far higher now, I suspect as they have done more recent scans of the tables themselves.

Forgive me if this has already been covered but is there a way to get the tables you already own from the 360 version on the Xbox one? Some (like Deadpool and star wars) gave carried over perfect but there is a few marvel tables which haven't and it prompts me to buy them again. Was there a reason that certain ones don't carry over? 

52 minutes ago, Skull Commander said:

Forgive me if this has already been covered but is there a way to get the tables you already own from the 360 version on the Xbox one? Some (like Deadpool and star wars) gave carried over perfect but there is a few marvel tables which haven't and it prompts me to buy them again. Was there a reason that certain ones don't carry over? 

A handful (5?) aren't available due to licensing. The rest should come across - including all Star Wars and Marvel tables - but often don't and I think it's partly because of how they've ended up re-bundling the tables into new packages meaning you may not own some of the tables in a new package and so none transfer. Just a guess, that. I ended up having to get in touch with Zen support and dredge out a list of all my tables from my MS purchase history that hadn't carried over, then they gave me a bunch of codes to enable them individually.

On 17/10/2018 at 15:34, ZOK said:

I stuck Pinball Arcade on last night (360) expecting to come away with the same opinion, but actually, MM looks and feels horrible now in comparison to the PFX3 effort.

Could be that the iOS versions have had updates since the last 360 version updates and that it plays a lot better, but I was massively surprised by how poorly it compared.

I still haven't moved on to the other tables. I'm OBSESSED with MM.

5 hours ago, Camel said:

I still haven't moved on to the other tables. I'm OBSESSED with MM.

It’s pure gaming crack. It’s the thing that has made me stop playing Zelda after 250 (count ‘em!) hours...I still haven’t posted a decent score yet though. I was up in the 150-200 mil score ranges on iOS, best I’ve done so far on Switch is 52 :(

• 4 weeks later...

Finally picked up an Xbox One and after a bit of faffing (sending evidence of table purchases to Zen) I’ve managed to import all 61 of my tables to FX3. Just picked up another couple of packs in the Black Friday sale so up to 65 out of the possible 82.

Is anyone playing this on Xbox? I have a handful of you on my friends list already but would be nice to have more scores on there so add me if you are - ymaohyd.

Also it seems with all the back and forth they’ve sent me duplicate codes for a few so PM me for the tables below (Xbox):

Ant man GONE

Venom GONE

Deadpool GONE

Civil War

Portal GONE

Walking Dead GONE

Guardians of the Galaxy GONE

On 17/10/2018 at 16:06, Camel said:

Yes, I last played it about two weeks ago. The dragon obscures your view.

You've made me doubt myself now though, so I'll give it another bash next time I'm there.

@ZOK - just played the real thing again. My memory was only partially faulty; you can't see the rollovers very well but it's because the plastic around the ramp isn't very transparent. Not because of the dragon. Moving around doesn't help either. 

That’s interesting...I’ve played for years for real and never noticed any problem with choosing the rollovers. Some variance on the machines maybe? Although that doesn’t seem very likely.

Incidentally Mars Attacks is coming out on the Switch on December 4th. A Christmas miracle!