Pinball Games - Pinball FX, Pinball Arcade, etc

bradigor

I'd noticed on some of the Williams tables which have been out ages my scores are registering higher than I expected - to be frank the whole front end UI of downloads and packs is a fucking mess, then to make the Star Wars stuff a standalone separate title adds to the confusion.

It's probably due to licensing issues, but it also allowed them to claim that they'd released the first Star Wars game on Nintendo Switch.

Hopefully this will clear the way for the Marvel tables to be released on the Switch one day. I don't really mind too much what front end they have.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Mr Combo Breaker said:

Broke 100 million on The Dark Knight and put up 58Million on the tournament. nobody is beating that.

Haha, that's pretty decent. Are you aware there are regional leagues across the UK? http://ukpinballleague.co.uk/. We're all pretty friendly and some treat it more as a social than anything serious.

If you do want to get serious, then the biggest comp in the world is in Pittsburgh in July. I've been the last four or five years now.  As a sign of how popular pinball is getting again, last year there were 1000 tickets available for Pinburgh, and they sold out within 20 seconds 8-)

On 23/12/2019 at 22:29, Wizcat said:

Haha, that's pretty decent. Are you aware there are regional leagues across the UK? http://ukpinballleague.co.uk/. We're all pretty friendly and some treat it more as a social than anything serious.

If you do want to get serious, then the biggest comp in the world is in Pittsburgh in July. I've been the last four or five years now.  As a sign of how popular pinball is getting again, last year there were 1000 tickets available for Pinburgh, and they sold out within 20 seconds 8-)

Pittsburgh might be a stretch but I’m definitely going to Falkirk in a few weeks for the Scottish league. 

Hopfeully a a trip to Arcade Club next week

1 hour ago, Mr Combo Breaker said:

Pittsburgh might be a stretch but I’m definitely going to Falkirk in a few weeks for the Scottish league. 

Hopfeully a a trip to Arcade Club next week

Awesome. I know Ailsa and the Scottish guys quite well - have a blast :)

21 hours ago, mwaawm said:

Don't buy from Liberty. Waay overpriced. Same for Home Leisure Direct. They just buy pins from the home hobbyists, then jack up the price and resell them. They bought my TZ a few years ago for £2k, then sold it a week or two later for about £5k :/

Addams is still going up in value, but you should be able to get a pretty decent one for about half that price - £4k to £5k.

So I never bothered to get back into Pinball FX3 to see what they did with the Williams license. I stuck with the familiar old Pinball Arcade with about 60 Williams/Bally tables - now precious! But I always kind of hated TPA's front-end and presentation, and how they never updated the tables to look better, and now it feels like dead software. So I'm considering getting the Williams table packs for PFX3 before the Steam sale ends.

I know it's a year and a half late, but I finally checked out the free Fish Tales to see if I'd like the physics, etc.

When it comes to physics, Zen's "realistic" physics feel very fast and difficult. I loaded up Fish Tales in TPA to compare, and I couldn't believe how slow and floaty TPA's physics are by comparison! So I'd definitely say PFX3 is a more realistic game of pinball, but it's perhaps too real. I suppose I can play with the old silly Zen physics, but that's too far in the other direction, too easy. So I wonder if TPA's physics are a good compromise between Zen's silly and realistic modes.

Graphically PFX3 is way better of course. No way to adjust room and lamp brightness, but it seems to be roughly the way I like it. One potential problem is that it doesn't have an angle that goes as high as TPA's "view 2".

So I can't decide whether to buy into PFX3's Williams tables, or just stick to playing them - and 40 others - in the old Pinball Arcade.

10 minutes ago, Mr Combo Breaker said:

Sometimes it's the gimmicks (magnets!!!!!!) :lol:

Anyone been to Tilt or Electric Circus in Birmingham?

I've been to Tilt a few times. Good little place and every time they have had different tables (about 10-15 I think). Also you can get a nice selection of beers. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I've just started playing Metroid Prime Pinball again after a 10-ish year hiatus. It's really good, with some excellent graphics, audio and UI. The tables have a nice flow to them so you can rack up nice combos and the boss battles are great. The ball saver is also very neat (the purple electricity between the flippers). Shame I lost my DS and Rumble pack :( 

MetroidPinball.thumb.jpeg.9f5d8d6273d796636739f7ed0ff25855.jpeg

• 2 months later...
On 07/03/2020 at 11:59, shirubagan said:

I've just started playing Metroid Prime Pinball again after a 10-ish year hiatus. It's really good, with some excellent graphics, audio and UI. The tables have a nice flow to them so you can rack up nice combos and the boss battles are great. The ball saver is also very neat (the purple electricity between the flippers). Shame I lost my DS and Rumble pack :( 

MetroidPinball.thumb.jpeg.9f5d8d6273d796636739f7ed0ff25855.jpeg

Metroid Pinball is brilliant. A severely underrated DS game. It's no GBC Pokémon Pinball though, but what is?