Pinball Games - Pinball FX, Pinball Arcade, etc

bradigor

Spooky's next game is Halloween with hilarious hedge toys :D

edit: looks like they are also doing an Ultraman machine with the same playfield. Hedges replaced by skyscrapers. Stern did this with Family Guy and Shrek at one point. 

On 04/06/2021 at 21:17, Mr Combo Breaker said:

I've been playing a shitload of Williams Pinball on ios (for some reason I like playing pinball with a touch screen more than using real buttons on the switch, it's weird).

It's chock full of freemium bullshit, lots of pointless cosmetics, FOUR different in-game currencies, watch adverts* for prizes but unlike Zen's other offerings you can actually unlock all the tables without spending any money. This is good cos (special offers aside) it looks like it would cost about a hundred quid for all 21 

Basically when you start you can pick 1 table to unlock. You then play challenges (one of 3 types, X score with a single ball, X score in 5 minutes and X score in 5 minutes but you need to hit a particular score every minute or it's game over) on that table over and over to grind out arcade tickets (the basic currency which you need for unlocking but also to refresh challenges which are on timers), Zen coins (currency for unlocking stuff) and table parts (which are used to unlock tables specifically). Once you get enough parts for a particular table you can unlock it for use in challenges, and then with even more parts you can upgrade it so you can play it normally in arcade mode.

Choice of that first table is key, pick something easy like Getaway or Theater of Magic and you'll be able to smash all the challenges every time. I picked Funhouse which is a bit old and difficult so it took a while before I started making any progress. 

I've got all the tables opened up now, just grinding to unlock Pro Physics. 

*top tip, if the advert opens full screen you have to watch it for 30 seconds, if it opens but you can still see the game running around the edges, tap on the edge to skip it completely :D 

You inspired me to give this a bit of a grind.

The IAP timers take no prisoners…

68DF7A41-D10B-430A-9AFF-C0CAD45BDA3F.jpeg

• 2 months later...

There's a small discussion going on in the Retro subfolder so I figured I'd resurrect this thread to get everyone to play some more virtual pinball.  Honestly, since I've received my machine, it's pretty much all I've been playing daily while my PS5 and Switch gather dust and look lonely.

Whether you have a cabinet or not is irrelevant - you can simply just download the VPX program and play the best pinball software available anywhere - all completely for free!  Pretty much every single table ever made has been meticulously recreated with the most accurate physics around.  And if you also download the Pinup Popper system, you have a lovely frontend to manage all your tables

Have a look at this guy's youtube channel as he compares his real life pins with their virtual counterparts:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZbP-VoX5llSBuesi-nFfrQ/videos

On top of that there are some amazing original tables that are leagues ahead of what Zen put out.  

Stranger Things:

Harry Potter:

If you have the means and the space, I would highly recommend you invest in a virtual pinball machine.  But if you don't, you can still have thousands of hours of pinball fun for free!  Get flipping.

All software you need and tables/files to download are available on https://vpuniverse.com/ and https://www.vpforums.org/ 

Thanks for the nudge. I messed around with vpinball and pinmame years ago before things like Pinball Arcade and Zen Pinball were around. I haven't bothered trying in recent years but I have a pc that can handle anything these days so will follow up those links and try and get it working. I love some Addamms Family and Scared Stiff.

Same here, I gave it a bit of a look and signed up to vpforum but it's a bloody annoying set of websites to navigate. 

I downloaded the virtual pinball 9x installer package thing, then found what looked like the tables for Addams and dredd but they seemed to be in *.vpt format rather than the *.vpx files it apparently wanted. 

Am I just being a bit simple? Or are there still multiple different 'emulators' because for whatever reason it's still nowhere near as easy as mame in regards to download the program and then just download a rom pack and you're off. Or am I just somehow doing it wrong? 

I can't seem to find any way to download every single pinball table ever which is a shame too?

14 hours ago, b00dles said:

Same here, I gave it a bit of a look and signed up to vpforum but it's a bloody annoying set of websites to navigate. 

I downloaded the virtual pinball 9x installer package thing, then found what looked like the tables for Addams and dredd but they seemed to be in *.vpt format rather than the *.vpx files it apparently wanted. 

Am I just being a bit simple? Or are there still multiple different 'emulators' because for whatever reason it's still nowhere near as easy as mame in regards to download the program and then just download a rom pack and you're off. Or am I just somehow doing it wrong? 

I can't seem to find any way to download every single pinball table ever which is a shame too?

VPT files are for VP9 and VP8 (older version of VPX) - worse graphics and physics.  That's not what you want.  The tables you want to download are from here: https://www.vpforums.org/index.php?app=downloads&showcat=50

Also be sure to check out vpuniverse as sometimes they have exclusive tables that vpforums don't - Batman 66 is one of them.

16 hours ago, jonnyalpha said:

Thanks for the nudge. I messed around with vpinball and pinmame years ago before things like Pinball Arcade and Zen Pinball were around. I haven't bothered trying in recent years but I have a pc that can handle anything these days so will follow up those links and try and get it working. I love some Addamms Family and Scared Stiff.

You will be surprised at the improvements when it comes to graphics and physics from a few years ago.  

12 minutes ago, Omizzay said:

VPT files are for VP9 and VP8 (older version of VPX) - worse graphics and physics.  That's not what you want.  The tables you want to download are from here: https://www.vpforums.org/index.php?app=downloads&showcat=50

Also be sure to check out vpuniverse as sometimes they have exclusive tables that vpforums don't - Batman 66 is one of them.

Weird, I'm sure I downloaded the latest one but evidently not. Clearly had a moment, cheers for the link, I'll give it a go shortly!