IGNORED

Pinball Games - Pinball FX, Pinball Arcade, etc

bradigor

Everything is far from Plug'n'Play but it is fun to tinker. Got Tron Legacy setup with a bunch of video screens too. Looks decent enough on a single screen. This is so much fund.

On 04/06/2021 at 12:17, Girth Certificate said:

I've been playing a shitload of Williams Pinball on ios (for some reason I like playing pinball with a touch screen more than using real buttons on the switch, it's weird).

It's chock full of freemium bullshit, lots of pointless cosmetics, FOUR different in-game currencies, watch adverts* for prizes but unlike Zen's other offerings you can actually unlock all the tables without spending any money. This is good cos (special offers aside) it looks like it would cost about a hundred quid for all 21 

Basically when you start you can pick 1 table to unlock. You then play challenges (one of 3 types, X score with a single ball, X score in 5 minutes and X score in 5 minutes but you need to hit a particular score every minute or it's game over) on that table over and over to grind out arcade tickets (the basic currency which you need for unlocking but also to refresh challenges which are on timers), Zen coins (currency for unlocking stuff) and table parts (which are used to unlock tables specifically). Once you get enough parts for a particular table you can unlock it for use in challenges, and then with even more parts you can upgrade it so you can play it normally in arcade mode.

Choice of that first table is key, pick something easy like Getaway or Theater of Magic and you'll be able to smash all the challenges every time. I picked Funhouse which is a bit old and difficult so it took a while before I started making any progress. 

I've got all the tables opened up now, just grinding to unlock Pro Physics. 

*top tip, if the advert opens full screen you have to watch it for 30 seconds, if it opens but you can still see the game running around the edges, tap on the edge to skip it completely :D 

I fired this one up myself for some casual free table grinding, my one weird issue with it is the touch areas for the flippers stops just a bit lower than where my left thumb seems to want to end up on my 13 pro, I'll be eyeballing up that sweet launch and then miss the flip and watch the ball roll down the gap. Otherwise initially enjoying it and the challenges are enough to help learn the tables too.

I did not know these virtual tables were a thing, that's logged for a distant future DIY project.

I love this shit!!!

Got VPX 10.7 working and all happy. Added a whole bunch of tables to try out before curating down. All good. Decided it would now be a good time to get PinUp Popper running. Get that going... looks ugly so start process of replacing images to see how it works. All good so far. Start AC-DC (2012) and the an error (bass music/sound library initialization error 46)... fuck sake. 

Spend most of the afternoon searching for solutions, with no solid answer. Switch back to 10.62 and that works fine. Right so this is a 10.7 issue. Pull my hair out looking for script issues, bad configs, etc. Turns out I had audio going direct to headphones, rather than via Voicemeter Banana and that caused the error. 

The tinkering is half the fun. 

I am seriously considering trying to get a couple of small screens and a cheap small form PC to make a mini cab at some point later this year. 

On 19/01/2022 at 01:37, bradigor said:

The tinkering is half the fun. 

Completely agree.  Every day I check VPU and VPF for new tables or new versions of old ones, update them, change POV, look for colorized Roms, altsound, pup packs, go through the scripts for changes I want to make etc.

I currently have around 200 tables in my Favourites folder alone and spend about an hour or two going for high scores before tackling a different table the next day.  Proper addictive.

13 minutes ago, Omizzay said:

Completely agree.  Every day I check VPU and VPF for new tables or new versions of old ones, update them, change POV, look for colorized Roms, altsound, pup packs, go through the scripts for changes I want to make etc.

I currently have around 200 tables in my Favourites folder alone and spend about an hour or two going for high scores before tackling a different table the next day.  Proper addictive.

I've started using this as a resource for table updates. 

https://virtual-pinball-spreadsheet.web.app/

Still struggling a bit with a single screen desktop layout when it comes to pupPacks especially. I sort of want my table on the left side of the screen, with the DMD, Backglass, Topper on the right. But can't get it to work. So making do for now. 

@Omizzay- Dumb question. I assume updating a table is as simple of popping the new files from the zip in place of the old ones?

Also, have you updsated from JPs Ghostbuster's Slimer 2.10 to 3.01? I can't get my UltaDMD and Pup to work in the new version

On 14/09/2021 at 21:31, jonnyalpha said:

Thanks for the nudge. I messed around with vpinball and pinmame years ago before things like Pinball Arcade and Zen Pinball were around. I haven't bothered trying in recent years but I have a pc that can handle anything these days so will follow up those links and try and get it working. I love some Addamms Family and Scared Stiff.

Ditto- I loved Pinmame when I got Addams family running on it and then unfortunatel discovered you had to re-download and set it all up again on what seemed like 6 monthly basis which I couldnt be arsed to do. Was chuffed when I picked up Addams family on Pinball Arcade which plays flawlessly on my phone, a rare instance where touch screen on the phone beats any physical control scheme on consoles / PC.

15 hours ago, bradigor said:

@Omizzay- Dumb question. I assume updating a table is as simple of popping the new files from the zip in place of the old ones?

Also, have you updsated from JPs Ghostbuster's Slimer 2.10 to 3.01? I can't get my UltaDMD and Pup to work in the new version

Yes pretty much that's how you update.  If you don't want to redo all the media for Pinup Popper, just copy the new table with the same name as the old one.

I do have Slimer 3.0.1.  If you're having trouble with your UltraDMD, then just make sure the folder is in the same Tables folder and that you have the latest Freezy 1.9 installed.  I also suggest joining a few VP facebook groups - VP Junkies and VP Addicts are the ones I frequent and the guys there have helped me quite a bit.

I would also recommend the Ghostbusters table instead of Slimer though but it's one of the few "banned" tables not available on VPU and VPF.  Here are a few links to these kinds of tables :

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLmLVVDKE8o9mQgK7LC4rIA

Anyone looking to pickup a budget physical virtual pin, the ATGames one seems to be the best one around.  It's easily moddable so you can hook up your PC and run VPX off of it.  https://www.atgames.us/products/legends-pinball-plus

1 hour ago, Omizzay said:

Anyone looking to pickup a budget physical virtual pin, the ATGames one seems to be the best one around.  It's easily moddable so you can hook up your PC and run VPX off of it.  https://www.atgames.us/products/legends-pinball-plus

Interesting. I am looking for the cheapest way to create a medium sized one and originally was looking to buy a flat pack kit and then pickup monitors etc but this seems a decent way around it.  I cannot see any specs on the site though?

1 hour ago, Omizzay said:

Yes pretty much that's how you update.  If you don't want to redo all the media for Pinup Popper, just copy the new table with the same name as the old one.

I do have Slimer 3.0.1.  If you're having trouble with your UltraDMD, then just make sure the folder is in the same Tables folder and that you have the latest Freezy 1.9 installed.  I also suggest joining a few VP facebook groups - VP Junkies and VP Addicts are the ones I frequent and the guys there have helped me quite a bit.

I would also recommend the Ghostbusters table instead of Slimer though but it's one of the few "banned" tables not available on VPU and VPF.  Here are a few links to these kinds of tables :

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLmLVVDKE8o9mQgK7LC4rIA

Do you have a link to the DMD you have for yours (or able to zip and share?)

3 hours ago, Parappa said:

Interesting. I am looking for the cheapest way to create a medium sized one and originally was looking to buy a flat pack kit and then pickup monitors etc but this seems a decent way around it.  I cannot see any specs on the site though?

Here's a good video for you: 

Okay, to backup what @Omizzay is saying yeah, VPX is really damn good and a step up from the game systems. 

But also, yeah, the faff is real, I managed to get Theatre of Magic working, but this is what I've learnt so far.

You install VPX 10, then get the zip for the table, then you have to go find the ROM(ROMs are not the tables, they're two separate things), on their site the one it links to is the wrong version(the table download page should have a link to the one you need but VPX will tell you what it's looking for, DOUBLE CHECK THE EXACT NAME), you need the tom_14hb.zip file instead, you have to make sure you delete the older rom versions as it seems to still pick them up(this was killing me for ages). Also make sure you've restarted VPX too after file changes. Then the table loads and the lights are working, promising! but it still fails, press F1 to open an options menu and turn off 'startup rom checks' and then relaunch and it then worked for me :)

You have to insert coins like a real machine, press 5 for that, then 1 or 2 to start a game, Enter to pull the launcher and then Shift keys for flippers.

Lastly, you can't change the camera in game, you have to hit the green camera button in the editor and use the flipper keys to raise or lower the camera to where you want it and then go back to the editor to launch the table to play. Lastly in the editor preferences > video / graphics options choose your monitor resolution.

Lyman Sheats passed away today, which was a bit of a blow.  He was quite frankly a legend amongst software developers in the pinball industry, and aged only 55 many were hopeful that there would be plenty more amazing Lyman games to look forward to.

As well as being an amazing pinball coder, he was a really nice guy and an awesome player. I had the good fortune to play against him once in one of the large pinball championships in the US and he was generous in sharing his knowledge of the games before competing against me.

If you're at all a pinball fan, it's highly likely some of his games are amongst your favourites. Attack from Mars, Monster Bash, Spider-Man, Walking Dead, Medieval Madness... and many more.

Lyman's Lament is a fun mode he included in Monster Bash, and there is a flipper code if you want to try it out on an emulator (or the real table!)

RIP Lyman :( 

23 hours ago, Cheeko said:

You have to insert coins like a real machine, press 5 for that, then 1 or 2 to start a game, Enter to pull the launcher and then Shift keys for flippers.

Lastly, you can't change the camera in game, you have to hit the green camera button in the editor and use the flipper keys to raise or lower the camera to where you want it and then go back to the editor to launch the table to play. Lastly in the editor preferences > video / graphics options choose your monitor resolution.

Part of the reason why having VPX run on a cabinet is so much better.  I press the coin button a few times for credits, I have a digital plunger which acts like the real thing, I have a button for start, magna save buttons, volume up and down buttons and a launch button that can be used for tables like ACDC and Star Trek TNG where you have the cannons to fire the ball out.

VPX does take some tinkering, but after a while it really is quite quick to set up your favourite tables and becomes second nature.  And the experience is as close to real pinball as you will get. The fact that it's free is phenomenal!  

I heard that when VPE launches they will be making a mobile version of it as well.  Super psyched for that.

I get a pretty good experience on desktop too. After tinkering it is much better than Zen's efforts IMHO. I'd love a table, but funds and vision are beyond me at the moment at least. I might just look at a vertical monitor to run next to my main one. 

I found a thread where people are discussing tables by an authour called G5K which sounds really great, he’s done versions of Attack From Mars, Terminator 2, but the links they post are all dead, any suggestions on where I can find them?

I find the forums really hard to navigate, I’ve downloaded a couple, but one was a VR version and the camera is miles from the table.

I also want a really nice Star Wars table, the Data East one was recommended said to get ROM version 1.07 but it doesn’t operate.

Lastly Stranger Things Stranger Edition, any places Incan find that?

EDIT: IGNORE ALL THAT! I found a torrent someone made of a load of vpx tables and Roms and most of what I was looking for is on there and it works(I’ve really fallen down the rabbit hole as I’ve now setup Puplayer for Stranger Things to work.)

9 hours ago, Cheeko said:

I found a thread where people are discussing tables by an authour called G5K which sounds really great, he’s done versions of Attack From Mars, Terminator 2, but the links they post are all dead, any suggestions on where I can find them?

I find the forums really hard to navigate, I’ve downloaded a couple, but one was a VR version and the camera is miles from the table.

I also want a really nice Star Wars table, the Data East one was recommended said to get ROM version 1.07 but it doesn’t operate.

Lastly Stranger Things Stranger Edition, any places Incan find that?

EDIT: IGNORE ALL THAT! I found a torrent someone made of a load of vpx tables and Roms and most of what I was looking for is on there and it works(I’ve really fallen down the rabbit hole as I’ve now setup Puplayer for Stranger Things to work.)

Stranger Things is amazing, and I would even argue better than the real pinball table when it comes to layout, clips and features.

The virtual table is designed by a legend called Scotty Wic, who has done essential originals like Harry Potter, Diablo and Pizza Time - download them on his site here https://orbitalpin.com/downloads/

Even though you found the torrent, I would really recommend sticking to the legit sites.  There used to be another site called vpinball.com that pretty much had everything on there but the guy who ran it shut it down unexpectedly.  Since then, VPU and VPF have become the go-to sites and you can pretty much find all tables, roms, backglasses, pup packs etc on there.

In other pinball news today, VPW - the best group of designers in virtual pinball - just released their version of LOTR and it looks unbelievable (check out that glowing sword):

Anyone here keen to start a RLLMUK VPX weekly table high score challenge?

2 hours ago, Omizzay said:

In other pinball news today, VPW - the best group of designers in virtual pinball - just released their version of LOTR and it looks unbelievable (check out that glowing sword):

Not sure if this is a desktop issue, but my sound for this is really low. Other than that, it is an amazing table. 

45 minutes ago, bradigor said:

Not sure if this is a desktop issue, but my sound for this is really low. Other than that, it is an amazing table. 

Haven't tried it yet myself, but usually you can go into the script of a table and adjust table volume levels from there.

For the RLLMUK league, might as well kick it off with this VPW LOTR table then.  High scores with visual proof to be submitted by Sunday?

3 minutes ago, Omizzay said:

Haven't tried it yet myself, but usually you can go into the script of a table and adjust table volume levels from there.

For the RLLMUK league, might as well kick it off with this VPW LOTR table then.  High scores with visual proof to be submitted by Sunday?

Perfect. Can either keep it here, or start a new thread if you want. 

1 hour ago, bradigor said:

There are a few ways to resolve this.  Some tables you just use 8 or 9 on your keyboard to adjust volume levels - other tables need the coin door to be opened first (END key) and then use 8 and 9 to adjust volume. 

3 minutes ago, Parappa said:

There are a few ways to resolve this.  Some tables you just use 8 or 9 on your keyboard to adjust volume levels - other tables need the coin door to be opened first (END key) and then use 8 and 9 to adjust volume. 

Thanks, will try that and editing the script. Just annoying I can't get a dark mode on the scripts editor inside VPX 

5 hours ago, Omizzay said:

Even though you found the torrent, I would really recommend sticking to the legit sites.  There used to be another site called vpinball.com that pretty much had everything on there but the guy who ran it shut it down unexpectedly.  Since then, VPU and VPF have become the go-to sites and you can pretty much find all tables, roms, backglasses, pup packs etc on there.

Anyone here keen to start a RLLMUK VPX weekly table high score challenge?

I like the tables that are rendered really well, the G5k dude does versions I really like the look of but those forums I really struggle with the search facility, when I download them I can't tell what version the table has been made for, who made it, whether it's the one I want and quite often the ROM links are wrong or broken and then I'm fishing around on the internet for a ROM to fix a table that I don't even think is the one I want. The torrent has 350 tables and the correct ROMS and it's super easy to just pull a collection together. 

However, regarding new releases this LOTR table looks great and yeah, I'm up for a score challenge.

EDIT: Case in point, this LOTR table, am I missing something or does that link just download to the table but there's no link to the ROM, I tried using the forum search but no joy so I google it and then find it on vpforums and it's a file from 2003? The table is working now, I can play it and it's great, but this process of setting each one up seems so odd the way I'm doing it at least).

52 minutes ago, Cheeko said:

I like the tables that are rendered really well, the G5k dude does versions I really like the look of but those forums I really struggle with the search facility, when I download them I can't tell what version the table has been made for, who made it, whether it's the one I want and quite often the ROM links are wrong or broken and then I'm fishing around on the internet for a ROM to fix a table that I don't even think is the one I want. The torrent has 350 tables and the correct ROMS and it's super easy to just pull a collection together. 

However, regarding new releases this LOTR table looks great and yeah, I'm up for a score challenge.

EDIT: Case in point, this LOTR table, am I missing something or does that link just download to the table but there's no link to the ROM, I tried using the forum search but no joy so I google it and then find it on vpforums and it's a file from 2003? The table is working now, I can play it and it's great, but this process of setting each one up seems so odd the way I'm doing it at least).

Fair enough.

If you're missing any roms, just go to most downloaded and pick up whatever you're missing: https://www.vpforums.org/index.php?app=downloads&showcat=9&dosort=1&sort_key=file_downloads&sort_order=desc&num=&filter_key=