IGNORED

Pinball Games - Pinball FX, Pinball Arcade, etc

bradigor

I did find a torrent with a ton of roms, which I used, but tables I am getting from VPF/VPU now. They could do with an 'essentials' collection to get newbies started as it really is a ballache to get going. That being said... 

This site is a godsend and the one I use to get anything. 

https://virtual-pinball-spreadsheet.web.app/

It will tell you the latest table updates / releases and has links to all the files needed foir said table, linking directly to VPU/F, or to external sites for stuff that isn't on there such as altsound packs or pov files. 

Simply search a table, click it and you'll see a list of what you can get. 

Case in point

image.thumb.png.d82381a963b538059d1083b8a0e60540.png

Tables are listed in order or release. So in that example top left is the newest. If an old version is no longer vailable it has a strikethrough on the text.

Most of the PupPacks are missing though due to the vPinball site closure from what I can gather. 

Can someone explain PupPacks to me please? - I have had a play with Pinup Poppoer and got that working but I am not sure what the PupPacks would add? (currently only on a one screen setup)

14 minutes ago, Parappa said:

Can someone explain PupPacks to me please? - I have had a play with Pinup Poppoer and got that working but I am not sure what the PupPacks would add? (currently only on a one screen setup)

You need to use the PinUpPackEditor to ForceON all the elements from the puppacks. Otherwise I find they get lost behind the table. You may also need to install PinOnTop or something which stops them dropping behind when the table is in use. 

I can't remember how I set it up originally, but it was a lot of guess work and you get this result (topper/DMD in top left, Backglass/video in top right)

image.thumb.png.3cb2024b6064cb8f4503d07f50bc1e7a.png

After about 15 goes or so, I ended up finishing a bunch of modes, getting quite a few multiballs, Ring Frenzy and Destroyed the Ring!  The points just kept racking up :D

What a lovely table.

bFZ2bWc.jpg

the DMD animations for LOTR are all proper great. Especially if Saruman is on it. Much more charm than just slapping movie footage onto a big LCD.

My real life high score, according to the notes file in my phone, is 80.4Million, although that may have been helped by a ball getting stuck up behind the Balrog.

1 hour ago, Omizzay said:

After about 15 goes or so, I ended up finishing a bunch of modes, getting quite a few multiballs, Ring Frenzy and Destroyed the Ring!  The points just kept racking up :D

What a lovely table.

bFZ2bWc.jpg

hah, ffs, okay, that's what I've gotten myself into. I need to actually figure out how to play these tables properly and not just randomly shoot ramps.

1 hour ago, Cheeko said:

hah, ffs, okay, that's what I've gotten myself into. I need to actually figure out how to play these tables properly and not just randomly shoot ramps.

PAPA Pinball is the best tutorial channel:

@Omizzaydo you know if it is possible to set up a view like that on a desktop in VPX?*

It looks ideal for getting the most out of a table and make up for not being able to look around properly. 

*I know that is a real table.  

1 hour ago, bradigor said:

@Omizzaydo you know if it is possible to set up a view like that on a desktop in VPX?*

It looks ideal for getting the most out of a table and make up for not being able to look around properly. 

*I know that is a real table.  

You can set whatever view you want.  Press F6 and change field of view, layback, x/y scale etc.  Just don't ever touch the z scale.

5 hours ago, Omizzay said:

PAPA Pinball is the best tutorial channel:

I actually watched the whole damn video and it is an epic worthy of Tolkien.

Is that how you play? Lots of ball trapping and juggling?

4 hours ago, Cheeko said:

I actually watched the whole damn video and it is an epic worthy of Tolkien.

Is that how you play? Lots of ball trapping and juggling?

As much as I can, especially during multiballs.  When the ball save is gone, it's time to trap up two balls on one flipper and try to get as many points with the 3rd ball for as long as possible.  You end up getting a lot more points than just going for it with all 3.

Argh, I can't get my flipper control back. I used to have a good sense of how to juggle and the like. Are there any good videos that help with training thbat?

18 minutes ago, Melon_Bread said:

I couldn't get the sound working on that LotR table, downloaded a ton of roms as well, was hard to find the right ones I needed so just grabbed all of em. 

I've got sound, but the noise of the flippers and ball moving is dominant over the music and sound effects.

3 minutes ago, bradigor said:

I've got sound, but the noise of the flippers and ball moving is dominant over the music and sound effects.

Think you can sort your problem if you get into the service menu and use 8 and 9 (I think) to turn the sound up or down.

Mine works fine until you shoot the ball then all sound stops apart from the flipper and ball sounds. I also get whiteout graphics on the playfield and side bumpers. It's a bit buggy I guess.

32 minutes ago, Melon_Bread said:

Think you can sort your problem if you get into the service menu and use 8 and 9 (I think) to turn the sound up or down.

Mine works fine until you shoot the ball then all sound stops apart from the flipper and ball sounds. I also get whiteout graphics on the playfield and side bumpers. It's a bit buggy I guess.

I get into the service menu, but 8/9 just works are moving between menu items. 

So screenshot time

This is the service menu (7) I can move between items with 8/9

image.thumb.png.c172fb6f9e72e470453953e991372d2b.png

Volume is -/+ on keyboard, but that can be done even in normal play

image.thumb.png.e7d8ff491684b896d1c09088322d5258.png

I checked eash item in the service menu, but nothing allows me to adjust volume. 

Using F1 and I am using altsound (set to 1) with a folder called lotr in the following path - D:\vPinball\VisualPinball\VPinMAME\altsound\

I got that from http://altsound.vpin24.com/

In my properties both music and sound effect are set to 100 and I am using Standard 2 Channel

image.thumb.png.d66cf3e5ce4b7378284ffd8ccbcca451.png

My primary sound device is going through Soundmeeter Banana as I use that for recording and sending sounds to different places. That all works, I don't want to have to faff with sending each to a different virtual cable in VM Banana if I can help it. But worry that might be only option.

Edit:

Ok this is new. I tried sending the music audio to my virtual cable with sound effects to main driver. However I get this error... I have no idea who dan is. 

image.png.70064c3c67e8ac8e3ccf5ce3d41f491f.png

8 minutes ago, Melon_Bread said:

Try hitting the END key then 8 and 9 should adjust the volume. And yeah that service menu is confusing.

Ahha. I think I sort of worked it out. 

So, if I use an altsound (altsound = 1) the sfx and music stops in game. But if I use original rom (altsound = 0) then it is fine. So seems to be an issue with the altsound folder. 

Thanks, didn't realise there was a separate volume option, boosted to 25 and all works well with original rom music. 

Dunno if I am just a weak ass pinball player, or if this LOTR table is actually quite hard, I thought I was alright at these things but I can barely keep a ball going for a whole game mode, I'm terrible at hitting the ramps too, only beaten 8m once since that score, even then only got 11m.

1 hour ago, Cheeko said:

Dunno if I am just a weak ass pinball player, or if this LOTR table is actually quite hard, I thought I was alright at these things but I can barely keep a ball going for a whole game mode, I'm terrible at hitting the ramps too, only beaten 8m once since that score, even then only got 11m.

Nope. its bloody hard. 

7 hours ago, bradigor said:

Argh, I can't get my flipper control back. I used to have a good sense of how to juggle and the like. Are there any good videos that help with training thbat?

There are some great tutorial videos on this channel. The best tip is just to practice though

I think my main issue is consistency and concentration (ADHD be damned). As I go from quite controlled to frenzied in an instant. In between these two attempts (first and last) I had about 10 other goes that were just embarrassing. I think I need to try and just practice over and over hitting the same target or ramp until I get it down. I wonder if my partial sightedness in my right eye and total blindness in my left affects me at all?