Pinball Games - Pinball FX, Pinball Arcade, etc

bradigor

Just popped in to say thanks for all the assistance. Reading through this thread has totally piqued my interest in making a small virtual pinball machine with some TV.

Some project for the future methinks. In the meantime VPX is amazing. Just playing Ace of Speed and it looks stunning.

Not sure if this is of help to anyone, but I was finding it impossible to do flipper tricks such as the post pass as my flipper just wasn't reacting as it needs. So I did some searching and found you can adjust the flipper physics and found a set that seems to work really well so far. Just spent the last 20 mins to repeat post pass attempts and was nailing about8-9 out of 10. Here are my settings if anyone was to try.

image.png.0512c79bef5ff09ec4dc506725fc5673.png

Note: Playfield setting untouched

I think there is something called 'quick flip' (or similar) that some tables support and I think LOTR is one of them.  I will do some research but perhaps that is the fix for this.

I play in the weekly comps on the Virtual Pinball chat discord and as part of their rules no changes can be made to physics etc (including only ever playing in single player as some tables make changes to multiplayer scoring).

Also - is anyone playing this in 4k desktop mode.  The tables look great but my DMD is tiny in the top left hand corner - well one of them is as I have two of them!  

7 hours ago, Dimahoo said:

Just popped in to say thanks for all the assistance. Reading through this thread has totally piqued my interest in making a small virtual pinball machine with some TV.

Some project for the future methinks. In the meantime VPX is amazing. Just playing Ace of Speed and it looks stunning.

I am on the hunt for a small ish flat pack DIY set but cannot seem to find any in the UK which is a shame. 

34 minutes ago, Parappa said:

I think there is something called 'quick flip' (or similar) that some tables support and I think LOTR is one of them.  I will do some research but perhaps that is the fix for this.

I play in the weekly comps on the Virtual Pinball chat discord and as part of their rules no changes can be made to physics etc (including only ever playing in single player as some tables make changes to multiplayer scoring).

Also - is anyone playing this in 4k desktop mode.  The tables look great but my DMD is tiny in the top left hand corner - well one of them is as I have two of them!  

Oh please do. If rather be within the general community rules with the experience. 

Quick flip?

I am such an idiot, I didn't realise the KEEP letters for the ball gutters you can rotate which ones are lit when you use the flippers so you can get a full set, I did wonder about that :)

Also, I found G5k's tables eventually, which includes that Flinstones one that was posted before, that, Addams Family and Terminator2, they're ridiculously nice looking. Here (see bottom for other tables)

Lastly, yeah I'm running it 4K but I'm on an Ultrawide, I also have two score displays, one sensibly sized and another tiny one that I can move around with the mouse.

LOTR is definitely not the easiest table and most of the time I average anywhere between 30-50M.  That 129M I got, I just happened to get in the zone and hit all the right flashing ramps to finish modes, hit loads of jackpots and super jackpots on the various multiballs, got an extra ball somehow and managed to destroy the ring.  Points started going crazy and I think I played that round for around 40 minutes or so.

I also nudge the table quite a bit when I play, which helps out with this table as the ball save is pretty much non-existent...so maybe that's an advantage of having a physical cabinet I don't know.  The cabinet view is also an advantage over the desktop view I feel.

In any case, I'm just happy to have a little RLLMUK pinball action going again - I felt like I was the only one flipping daily for ages and it's always more fun with friends.

Here's another great video of a pinball streamer that managed to reach the final wizard mode.  Some good tactics and explanations here as well.

25 minutes ago, Cheeko said:

I am such an idiot, I didn't realise the KEEP letters for the ball gutters you can rotate which ones are lit when you use the flippers so you can get a full set, I did wonder about that :)

heh, when a guy pointed that out to me (it might have actually been for LOTR, or maybe the NBA one with the big spinning disc) I was all like 'sonofabitch!!!!'.

In case you didn't notice the same is true of the rollovers up above the pops which spell Orc, and also the mode/mission select on the ring (although for that one you need to use the flippers so that you are on the one next to the mission you want, as it'll move when you shoot for the ring). I always do War of the Ents first cos you can built up loads of souls by hitting the path of the dead over and over, meaning you get ROTK multiball sooner.

What is fast flips all about then?  On physical machines of the early 80s or earlier it was possible to very very momentarily trigger the solenoid, which allows for what is commonly called a tap pass:

On later era machines (Addams Family onwards essentially) the fliptronics controller made this skill much (much) more difficult.  

Just now, Girth Certificate said:

heh, when a guy pointed that out to me (it might have actually been for LOTR, or maybe the NBA one with the big spinning disc) I was all like 'sonofabitch!!!!'.

In case you didn't notice the same is true of the rollovers up above the pops which spell Orc, and also the mode/mission select on the ring (although for that one you need to use the flippers so that you are on the one next to the mission you want, as it'll move when you shoot for the ring). I always do War of the Ents first cos you can built up loads of souls by hitting the path of the dead over and over, meaning you get ROTK multiball sooner.

The what now? So when KEEPS or ORC is displayed on the DMD I select the letter I want with the flippers?

Just now, Wizcat said:

What is fast flips all about then?  On physical machines of the early 80s or earlier it was possible to very very momentarily trigger the solenoid, which allows for what is commonly called a tap pass:

On later era machines (Addams Family onwards essentially) the fliptronics controller made this skill much (much) more difficult.  

Looking at the script for LOTR, it seems solenoid=2 is the setting. Which I assume is what is needed?

Nah. In pretty much all pinball games where there are 3 or 4 lights that spell something (usually in the lanes above the pops and around the flippers) you can move them around with the flippers. It's called lane change and at one point was probably a crazy exciting feature like dual wielding in Halo or something..  It means you don't have to drain a ball down an outlane to light those letters.

In the example below bold is a lit letter. Normal is unlit.

K E E P

then the ball comes down the sword and lights a letter

K E E P

then you hit the right flipper so the light moves to the right

K E E P

and the ball comes down the sword again so now you've got 2 lit.

K E E P

you hit the right flipper again

E E P

It's enormously satisfying when a ball comes down a lane, into a pop, back up the lane and then back down again and with good timing you light all 3 letters and up your bonus.

4 minutes ago, Girth Certificate said:

Nah. In pretty much all pinball games where there are 3 or 4 lights that spell something you can move them around with the flippers. It's called lane change.  It means you don't have to drain a ball down an outlane to light those letters.

In the example below bold is a lit letter. Normal is unlit.

K E E P

then the ball comes down the sword and lights a letter

K E E P

then you hit the right flipper so the light moves to the right

K E E P

and the ball comes down the sword again so now you've got 2 lit.

K E E P

you hit the right flipper again

E E P

There's also a setting - I think it's in adjustments #4 "difficulty". When that's set to hard then the KEEP letters *unlight* if you roll over the same one again.  This is commonly the setting used in tournaments if you want the extra challenge :)

1 hour ago, Wizcat said:

IIRC Joy2KEy worked actually...

Its annoying this function ism't (AFAIK) replicated on an analog trig. Clearly there's something analog going on between the button circuit and the Solenoid.

IIRC Joy2KEy emulated this...

Just found out my monitor rotates!

I don't know now if I should convert all my tables to play in portrait. Is it possible to duplicate my tables folder and have one for landscape desktop and one for FSS. Then having them all configured differently. 

Eg:

(In the standard tables folder)

LotR - Set as I have it now

(In the verticle tables folder)

LotR - Set up to be rotated 270deg

Or would it use the same settings for both tables?

2 hours ago, Dimahoo said:

Its annoying this function ism't (AFAIK) replicated on an analog trig. Clearly there's something analog going on between the button circuit and the Solenoid.

IIRC Joy2KEy emulated this...

It's not analogue on a real pinball machine (of any era). I think the difference (again, on real pinball machines) is the complexity of the circuit.

Prior to the mid 80s or so the flipper switch pretty much powered the solenoid directly, meaning there was 40v to 70v or so going through the flipper switch. 

Perhaps for safety reasons as much as anything else, more modern games now only use the 12v switch matrix to read the flipper buttons, then there is a path through the circuit board to trigger a transistor which then sends the 40v to the solenoid

Long story short. It's much harder to do momentary flips on modern tables now because at the very least it's determined by the delay of the transistor, and in some cases the circuitry ahead of that.

1 hour ago, bradigor said:

Just found out my monitor rotates!

I don't know now if I should convert all my tables to play in portrait. Is it possible to duplicate my tables folder and have one for landscape desktop and one for FSS. Then having them all configured differently. 

Eg:

(In the standard tables folder)

LotR - Set as I have it now

(In the verticle tables folder)

LotR - Set up to be rotated 270deg

Or would it use the same settings for both tables?

Vertical for all tables is the way for sure!  It will feel a lot more like you're standing over a real table.

These are the settings I have for most of my tables in cabinet mode (which should be the same for your vertical screen):

- Inclination 4.00

- Field of View 35.00

- Layback 75.00

- x/y values : just stretch to fit the whole table in the screen and adjust X and Y values and offsets accordingly

- z value : don't touch whatsoever (it messes up the table)

You can get to these settings by pressing F6 after loading the table in VPX and then cycling through the different options by pressing the magna button and then changing the values by pressing the flipper buttons.

35 minutes ago, Omizzay said:

Vertical for all tables is the way for sure!  It will feel a lot more like you're standing over a real table.

These are the settings I have for most of my tables in cabinet mode (which should be the same for your vertical screen):

- Inclination 4.00

- Field of View 35.00

- Layback 75.00

- x/y values : just stretch to fit the whole table in the screen and adjust X and Y values and offsets accordingly

- z value : don't touch whatsoever (it messes up the table)

You can get to these settings by pressing F6 after loading the table in VPX and then cycling through the different options by pressing the magna button and then changing the values by pressing the flipper buttons.

I think I will get a cheap (as possible with 1ms response) 1080p and keep it laying down so I can stand over it like I would a real table. Then use my main monitor as the backglass and DMD 

This is the main Virtual Pin Google Doc you want to use - pretty much has every single table that is available.  The ones that are not working are the ones that used to be on vpinball.com and haven't been reuploaded.  But if you're looking for a specific table or rom let me know as I pretty much have them all.

https://datastudio.google.com/u/0/reporting/23ac46f4-cbe4-40f4-867b-70ff6bf9a5d6/page/D1ciB

15 minutes ago, Omizzay said:

This is the main Virtual Pin Google Doc you want to use - pretty much has every single table that is available.  The ones that are not working are the ones that used to be on vpinball.com and haven't been reuploaded.  But if you're looking for a specific table or rom let me know as I pretty much have them all.

https://datastudio.google.com/u/0/reporting/23ac46f4-cbe4-40f4-867b-70ff6bf9a5d6/page/D1ciB

Oh that's a nice tool. 

Do you happen to have the Disney Pixar Luca table? It's gone from VPU and my daughter wants it. 

28 minutes ago, Cheeko said:

I wouldn’t commit to a full cab but I quite like the idea of having something like this:-

Oh for crying out loud. I feel my rest a cheap monitor on the table is going to be inadequate now :lol: 

I have zero room in this tiny flat, but now looking at ways I can get this setup. 

Wait a minute... Am I a moron*?

I have been trying to work out how I can run a second monitor in vertical alongside my main monitor and 4K TV in the living room** as when I tried just rotating my main monitor, the DMD was the wrong way. 

But If I run the Backglass / DMD on my main monitor and the table of the second, I can literally just turn the physical monitor around can't I? Not having to worry about any of the faffing. 

*Will, yes, that is a given.

** Main monitor on DP and TV on HDMI as mirrored display for family gaming and films.