IGNORED

Pinball Games - Pinball FX, Pinball Arcade, etc

bradigor

13 hours ago, bradigor said:

Oh that's a nice tool. 

Do you happen to have the Disney Pixar Luca table? It's gone from VPU and my daughter wants it. 

Yeah I have it.  Will send it across to you.

On 25/01/2022 at 13:53, Melon_Bread said:

I couldn't get the sound working on that LotR table, downloaded a ton of roms as well, was hard to find the right ones I needed so just grabbed all of em. 

Meant to reply before but I had an issue with a table where I added the correct ROM but as I still had the wrong one in the folder it was still picking that up, if you're still having issues maybe try just having one in there.

The whiteout playfield I've seen a few people have issues with that, it does it on mine occasionally, but I can close and repoen VPX and it fixes it.

49 minutes ago, Cheeko said:

Meant to reply before but I had an issue with a table where I added the correct ROM but as I still had the wrong one in the folder it was still picking that up, if you're still having issues maybe try just having one in there.

Ah... this might be a problem then :lol: 

image.thumb.png.653561edf7757997e1d1387ba31fb359.png

is there an idiot's guide to getting started with VPX somewhere? Sorry to ask, I swept up a few links but couldn't even see if I was downloading the right thing for the program, never mind the tables (and?) ROMs. Would love to give it a try, on regular PC and VR.

3 minutes ago, milko said:

is there an idiot's guide to getting started with VPX somewhere? Sorry to ask, I swept up a few links but couldn't even see if I was downloading the right thing for the program, never mind the tables (and?) ROMs. Would love to give it a try, on regular PC and VR.

Use this one to get going

https://www.vpforums.org/index.php?app=downloads&showfile=11573

thanks! Aha, step one would be create an account so the link actually works. Even then you get faced with so many options! I will see how far I get now, definitely on the way at last.

1 hour ago, milko said:

thanks! Aha, step one would be create an account so the link actually works. Even then you get faced with so many options! I will see how far I get now, definitely on the way at last.

It's quite easy actually, grab the latest version, they call it X it's version 10.7 something I think. Go to the table downloads and choose the VPX option, grab a table stick it in the table folder, grab the rom and stick them in the mame/roms folder. Some tables tell you what roms it needs others dont.

Fire it up, a lot of the tables need you to start twice to get them to work, like it sets up the settings first time then a restart makes it work. 

5 add credits, 1 starts the game, shift is flippers, return to shoot the ball.

Tried the exercise from one of the videos where you try and shoot the same ramp 5 times without hitting anything else, so you have to manage the ball inbetween shots. I did this for the main left and right ramp, and just by trying to do that I got my best score yet :)

Definitely starting to get a much better handle on things.

score.JPG

Oh also, I ordered some arcade buttons....there is a plan.

getting closer. Although for some reason vpforums refuses to let me log in, incorrect password even when I go through their reset procedure. Maybe I need something from that? When I load in the table I get this message:

Machine 'lotr' (Lord of the Rings, The (10.00)) terminated before initialized, check the rom path or rom file!

I got my ROM going to the download from the Stern site, which was linked from that fancy Google doc. Anyway, the thing fires up and looks cool, pressing 5 makes an inserting coins kinda noise, pressing Return makes the launcher do it's thing. Pressing 1 does nothing and pressing flipper buttons does nothing, so I'm a bit stuck.

19 hours ago, Cheeko said:

I wouldn’t commit to a full cab but I quite like the idea of having something like this:-

This looks just the job for me as a starter kit! - now to find someone in the UK that does something similar. 

4 minutes ago, milko said:

getting closer. Although for some reason vpforums refuses to let me log in, incorrect password even when I go through their reset procedure. Maybe I need something from that? When I load in the table I get this message:

I got my ROM going to the download from the Stern site, which was linked from that fancy Google doc. Anyway, the thing fires up and looks cool, pressing 5 makes an inserting coins kinda noise, pressing Return makes the launcher do it's thing. Pressing 1 does nothing and pressing flipper buttons does nothing, so I'm a bit stuck.

Sounds like you don't have the right rom - if you need it let me know and I can send it over (somehow)

Just now, Parappa said:

Sounds like you don't have the right rom - if you need it let me know and I can send it over (somehow)

I don't mind just being pointed the right way, but I've tried a 'pup-pack' one from VPuniverse and this Stern one that the Google doc aimed at, no real idea what I'm looking for after those! They both gave the same result.

3 minutes ago, milko said:

Double check you settings under preferences > Key, Nudge and DOF and make sure you have the right ones set up. 

image.png.1126973e5961c5b7b7660495de2b0ffc.png

I have B2S disabled at the moment, but you only really need to check the left side group. 

It should be

1. Open Table

2. Insert Coins (5)

3. Press Start (1)

4. Check flippers are working

5. Plunge away

If that's not working then Try with another table and see if that works. I can send you a table/rom for you to put in of one I know works. DM me your email address

I don't mind just being pointed the right way, but I've tried a 'pup-pack' one from VPuniverse and this Stern one that the Google doc aimed at, no real idea what I'm looking for after those! They both gave the same result.

Ignore pupPacks for now. Especially if on single screen. I wish I had as it complicates everything.

If I load the demos that came with VPX (eg FlexDemo.vpx) then I can make the flippers flip, albeit the ball seems stuck on a magnet in that one but I can play the 'display' thingy anyway. Controls are all default in the configuration page.

hahaha OK with that ROM it loads in, all looking good, press 1 to start and the ball fires up, I score about 907,000 immediately as it hits a tower and then... not sure if it's disappeared or what, but nothing else seems to happen. I can flip and nudge to my heart's content but there's no ball. I keep thinking I've got this going and then something else stops me in my tracks!

2 minutes ago, milko said:

hahaha OK with that ROM it loads in, all looking good, press 1 to start and the ball fires up, I score about 907,000 immediately as it hits a tower and then... not sure if it's disappeared or what, but nothing else seems to happen. I can flip and nudge to my heart's content but there's no ball. I keep thinking I've got this going and then something else stops me in my tracks!

Try F3 to restart the emulation. 

All else fails, quit completely and boot from scratch (right out of VPX app, not just the table)

Most of you first couple of days will be spent getting things to work and tinkering. It's not the easiest to onboard someone. But, once you understand the quirks, it becomes a lot easier. 

I am planing a second screen soon... I am dreading that.

lol I think I finally worked out the fucker is somehow upset that I have a set of (driving sim) pedals connected. Was having similar weirdness on the other table you sent me, but pulling the plug out on those and everything's fine again. So weird.

lol I think I finally worked out the fucker is somehow upset that I have a set of (driving sim) pedals connected. Was having similar weirdness on the other table you sent me, but pulling the plug out on those and everything's fine again. So weird.

PC gaming in a nutshell :lol: 

I remember having a ton of issues in retroarch because I had some extra controllers plugged in. 

Ha yes. To be fair even 'proper' games sometimes get upset about them, like they think there's something constantly pressing 'up' so I can't even do the menus, it's annoying.

Anyway, cheers for the help! I got just under 6 million on my first go at LOTR, I'm sure I'll be troubling the leaderboards one day. (hmm)

2 hours ago, Parappa said:

This looks just the job for me as a starter kit! - now to find someone in the UK that does something similar. 

It’s be worth asking them what the uk shipping cost would be, it’s so reasonable that I think even with shipping it’d be less than what a UK seller would charge.

Gonzo cabinet taking shape.

20220127_200838.thumb.jpg.c5ccd043ab3ce300acda70e4be858eb7.jpg

So the 24" will be the playfield and the 27" the backglass. 

Need to decide if the music comes through Amazon Echo and SFX via the 24" monitor, or the other way around.

On 26/01/2022 at 16:10, Omizzay said:

Vertical for all tables is the way for sure!  It will feel a lot more like you're standing over a real table.

These are the settings I have for most of my tables in cabinet mode (which should be the same for your vertical screen):

- Inclination 4.00

- Field of View 35.00

- Layback 75.00

- x/y values : just stretch to fit the whole table in the screen and adjust X and Y values and offsets accordingly

- z value : don't touch whatsoever (it messes up the table)

You can get to these settings by pressing F6 after loading the table in VPX and then cycling through the different options by pressing the magna button and then changing the values by pressing the flipper buttons.

Just wanted to ask something about this...

Say my table fit perfect wide, but it short in height, just use the scale-y and offset-y to stretch and fine tune? I assume the stretch is minimal for most tables, so won't look weird like stretch a 4:3 game to 16:9, etc

Fuck yeah. 

20220127_211712.thumb.jpg.e01a57f6db9e633615d3786d753d080d.jpg

Now because I am being awkward I need to have another instance of VPX so I can just run it on a single screen when I need to. Hope it is a case of duplicating the whole thing and changing the first part of the path. 

15 minutes ago, bradigor said:

Fuck yeah. 

20220127_211712.thumb.jpg.e01a57f6db9e633615d3786d753d080d.jpg

Now because I am being awkward I need to have another instance of VPX so I can just run it on a single screen when I need to. Hope it is a case of duplicating the whole thing and changing the first part of the path. 

Just install VPX and copy tables and roms folders. And maybe any extra music you have downloaded.

Now having another think. The little monitor doesn't have a great viewing angle. So ideally need the 27" as my playfield. But I need a tall monitor stand to hold the 24" higher. I can see clamp based ones, but not that are free standing. This stupid table is made in such a way I can't clamp anything to it.